I’m new to this forum. I didn’t even know about Sako collectors before today, glad I discovered it.

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Louie Alcon, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Louie Alcon

Louie Alcon Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I’m searching for technical info comparisons on a 1983 Finnbear .300WM and the newer laminated stick .300WM Greywolf. Is the older model any better, the same or no difference in quality?

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Finding technical data which compares a 1983 Finnbear (should be an AV) to a modern 85 Grey Wolf is most likely not achievable. These rifles are completely different in nearly every aspect. Bolt design, DBM vs. internal magazine etc. The only thing they have in common is the name, the caliber, the location of the safety, and the way you mount a scope.

Obviously the Finnbear is walnut and blued chrome-moly, the Grey Wolf is stainless and a laminated wood product.

In my opinion, if your attempt is to choose, it really depends on what your planned use is. Both rifles will accomplish almost anything within reason. The Finnbear is a classic hunting rifle with a very large following. The Grey Wolf is a modern hunting tool built for harsh conditions. It’s newer in comparison, so the following today is less.

Quality hmm. The Finnbear has always been held in high esteem through the phases, however, many believe the older rifles (pre 72) were built to slightly higher standards. Its proven it worth for half a century, in some cases. Unless you’ve collected and shot them frequently you’d most likely not be aware of the nuances which separate the Finnbear.

The 85’s are very accurate and built very well, but there have been a few complaints about quality control and support. I definitely would say - I read more about problems with 85’s than the older classics. I own both series and have never had a problem with either.

If cost is a consideration you can buy a standard Finnbear used for $750 to 900, sometimes a little higher. An 85 GreyWolf will most likely be 20% higher +\-

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  3. Louie Alcon

Louie Alcon Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas

4. Louie Alcon

Louie Alcon Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thank you very much for the reply of information.
    I own a 7 mag Finnbear AV model and I am very pleased with it. I also have 2 other Sako’s 22-250 and a 25-06 that I am very fond of as well.
    I’ve used my 7mag for everything from Cous deer, Mule deer, elk and black bear with one shot success on everything. I love it. Bought it brand new.
    I really like the look of the laminated stock, my 22-250 is a laminated varmint model and is an absolute tac driver out to 400 yards on prairie dogs.
    I’m still thinking about a grey wolf model 85 as well.
    I suppose it’s the novelty of owning another older model Finnbear that has me purchasing this .300 WM.
    I appreciate the response.
    V/r
    Louie

5. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Absolutely nothing wrong in owning another Sako, whether it’s a Finnbear or anything else Sako for that matter. As I stated, we own both, older classics like L461, L579 and L61R (Finnbear), plus 85’s and an A7. I bought an 85 for my wife several years ago, then later, one for myself, mainly because we wanted an all weather light rifle. We mainly hunt in remote rugged wilderness country, so the 10 pound rifle was beginning to take its toll on us. We couldn’t be happier with performance and durability of the 85. Take care.

6. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    BTW, I recently purchased this older Finnbear in .300 WM. So, another one is always appropriate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  7. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Forget the new stuff and do yourself a favor and find an older L61R in 300 magnum (H&H). You will be rewarded handsomely and you can thank me later...

8. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Great point Kirk, but the availability goes way down and the price goes way up...... But you do make a great observation.

9. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Sean Hodges likes this.
  10. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Wow !!! Huckleberry for sure... As good as it gets...

11. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If my old eyes are looking at the pictures right, the bottom metal is push button round tang. It probably shouldn't be on a 3 digit serial number.

12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    My old eyes see the same thing. The serial number is from August of 1961, not 1964, but the bottom metal is from circa 1968 or later. I hate to say it, but this appears it may be another one of those "Made in Finland, Assembled in Montana" rifles. Not from the usual offender, however.

13. Louie Alcon

Louie Alcon Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Most of you folks sound like you have the knowledge base of collectors. I’m just the average hunter that enjoys a good quality firearm like the Sako. Here’s another conversation piece though. I have a 1961 Revelation.22 semi-auto rifle. I learned to shoot on that thing. Still have it and I use it for rabbit hunting, it has never failed me. Love it.

14. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The Revelation rifles sold thru the Western Auto stores were made by Marlin & just rebranded with the Revelation moniker. They were identical to the bolt actions & semi-autos Marlin made in that era. The Marlin Owners site would probably provide you with more info on the Revelation rifles than you will find here.

15. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I'd say that H&H jumped across town from the Gunfather's stable to Mike's collection.

16. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    My eyes aren’t as good any more either, especially when on my damn phone, without glasses. I didn’t look as closely as I should have until just now, and I’d have to agree with you and stone, looks like the plunger style, I have heard this gentleman is reputable according to others. Unknowing and honest mistake perhaps?

17. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    He's far from unknowing. His knowledge base of certain quality guns, especially regarding Sako and Colt Rifles which he specializes in, if not expert is certainly very close to it. I don't recall buying any guns from him and without that experience, I'm not able to comment fairly regarding a "honest mistake". I didn't buy from him because I thought his guns were over priced.

18. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Understood, thank you..