Howa Mini vs Sako L461

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Chris Anderson, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    I was about to call applesauce on that but I'm glad it didn't, because you're right. Here for all these years I thought animals primed up because their body was trying to protect it's self from the cold. Learn something every day.

Hmm that's sounds interesting. I'll PM for more details.

Boy you REALLY get around when you're coyote hunting. I thought driving 2 or 3 hours to hunt was a lot but I'm not even in the same universe as you.

Is that a boat behind you? Not a mode of transportation I see on a coyote hunt where I live <grin>.

Hadn't really considered a 20 Practical but the gun writers really like it because it shoots tiny little groups. I've been thinking about an AR varmint rifle so the 20 Pratical would fit right in. I'll have to investigate some more..

Thanks
    Chris[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

2. AWS

AWS Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I usually hunt coyotes in 4-5 states every year. NV , UT and WY do not require licenses to hunt coyote. I have a van set up to hunt out of, positraction, chains, winch, locking gun locker, bunk, solar power, furnace, porta poti. I go on coyote hunting vacations, some years between hunting and fishing I live in the van for up to six months of the year. It is self contained, I can park it anywhere and stay the night, camping is free on BLM and national forest lands, Walmart parking lots, so I never have to pay for camping, I cook all my meals so it doesn't cost anymore than staying at home, about all I have to pay for is my gas and because I can camp free where I hunt gas isn't that expensive. Good pelts help defray the costs also. I can buy season hunting licenses in CO, NM and AZ combined for less than a night out at a good restaurant and show with my wife.

The boat is my duck hunting rig and coyotes. I use it to access backsides of impoundments and use rivers to access land that can't be driven to on foot.
    I'm thinking about a winter hunt on Lake Mojave as much of the shoreline is not accessible other than by boat. Pack my tent and some stretchers in the boat and spend a week camping on the shores hunting and fishing. should be some great coyote and cat hunting.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    WOW. Now that is a serious coyote hunter. I'll pick your brain some more in my PM.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I had no idea that my preference for following the convention of forward is "fire" and backward is "safe" (or the color sequence of traffic lights, home wiring, or shotgun shells) is the equivalent of political dictatorship, forced religion, or racism. I simply must reform my thinking. Perhaps I can find a way to convert half of my Sako safeties to work the opposite way and thus introduce the appropriate diversity into my Sako collection.

5. AWS

AWS Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I don't think it was the 527 safety but the, the clutch on the left only because of tradition(it isn't), street lights are always the same(they aren't), intolerance of something that is different than you perceive it should be, that set me off. You have already diversified your bolt actions by having the 465 with it's different direction safety although you aren't tolerant of it's difference. As to 12ga Red, 20ga yellow, I have 12ga ammunition in Red, blue(light and dark), maroon, orange, white, black, clear and green and I think red is the least of them. 20's I don't mess with enough to know what's out there preferring the 16ga in purple, black, red, blue and teal (my wife says it's not green)

The convention of forward "fire" backward "safe" is really a fairly recent thing. Almost all hammer guns it is the opposite except under lever hammer percussion rifles. Actually "rear fire" "forward safe" would have made more sense during the transition from hammer fired weapons to sliding safeties.

And I do apologize if I brought your intolerance of certain mechanical differences into race, religion, politics and gun control, that might of been stretching it a bit. I wanted to make a point not to paint you in that light.

There is interesting stuff on this sight and I do like Sako full stock rifles.

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    True, 12 gauge shotshells can come in a variety of colors, but never in yellow. Yellow always means 20 gauge. And 20's never come in any other color. This is because a 20 gauge shell's rim is the right diameter to hang on the forcing cone of a 12 gauge chamber, so if a 20 gauge shell is mistakenly placed in a 12 gauge it is possible for an actual 12 gauge to be chambered behind it and make for a rather spectacular (and dangerous) ka-boom. This convention was adopted as a safety step by the industry when I was still a kid to make it less likely for someone to get hurt by inserting the wrong gauge shell in a shotgun. I'm not sure this convention has done all that much to prevent accidents, but the shotshell manufacturers would have a hissy fit if someone started manufacturing red 20's.

You miss the point on the clutch/brake because you assume the convention of having the throttle on the right of both, when mechanically it could as well be on the left of both, now couldn't it. But by simply and automatically making this assumption I won't accuse you of intolerance.

Traffic lights are always in the same sequence of red, yellow, green; with vertical lights the sequence starts at the top. With horizontal lights it starts at the left side -- always, because some drivers, through no fault of their own, are color blind and depend on the location of the light to know whether to stop or to go. This is just like conventional writing for Indo-European languages. I suspect you'd be pretty miffed if someone sent you an important letter written from right to left (and would find reading road signs written backward pretty tedious, also.)

There are all kind of conventions. Now, I don't care if your wife wears a white dress before Easter, you eat your peas with a dinner knife, or you wear striped overalls to a wedding because being unconventional in any of those instances doesn't put anyone in harms way. But abiding by certain conventions for the sake of safety and convenience isn't being intolerant. It makes our lives simpler, easier, and in many cases safer.

My contention regarding thumb safeties that move forward and backward is that there are precious few on which forward is not "fire" and rearward is not "safe". It's been this way for over a century now. It is a convention. Unconventional safeties tend to make for a less safe environment. That's why I hope that CZ eventually changes the 527 to match its other current actions.

Anyone is free to disagree with me on how important or unimportant this may be, but I haven't heard anyone complaining that CZ changed the direction of the movement of their safeties on their long actions. I don't think they would complain of the same modification in the short action, either.

7. AWS

AWS Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington

8. AWS

AWS Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thank you for an interesting two days.

Weidmannsheil
    AWS

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    AWS: I suspect that our actual disagreements are very minor and if having this discussion in person we would quickly find ourselves largely in agreement. Thanks for being so gentlemanly, and I look forward to other good discussions in the future. Thinking guys like you making salient points is what makes this forum so enjoyable.

10. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    This is why everyone respects you stone. Written like a true statesman and diplomat.