How to repair scratch on laminated stock?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Sander, Feb 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sander

Sander Member

Country Flag:
    Netherlands
    State/Region:
    other
    Dear all,

First let me introduce myself. I am a European guy who recentley purchased a new sako 85 varminter with laminated stock. Now when I was purchasing the rifle I noticed one small scratch and one other scratch somerwhere in between a scratch and ding on the stock. Both of them weren't very bad or destroyed the whole appearance of the gun, in fact it was only when I and my girlfriend (I am one of the lucky guys with a girlfriend who likes rifles :) ) were checking the stock closely that we noticed it. We discussed it with the salesman and we negotiated a pretty nice discount (somewhere in between 10% and 15%). While the scratches are not that big, I was still wondering if I could try to repair or cover these small scratches. So how did you guys repaired and in general take care of your laminated sako stocks? I have read that for the laminated stocks, I should use matte lacquer; but which one should I use (type of lacquer, we do not have the american brands overhere ;-) )? Should I wet sand if first? Should i use some kind of filler?

Thanks in advance!

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If you sand on the original finish you will NEVER be able to match the finish & it will look worse. Just use any of the stock oils used to finish stocks & rub, sparingly, into the scratches & blend into the surrounding area. They won't ever completely disappear, but will be less noticeable. If you had a hard time seeing them in the first place, I think you are overreacting. After all, if you use the gun at all they won't be the only blemish or ding the stock receives. Relax & enjoy. All rifles will get a few marks thru normal use. If you want it to stay perfect you will never enjoy it.

Hillcountry and Sander like this.
  3. Sander

Sander Member

Country Flag:
    Netherlands
    State/Region:
    other
    Thank you very much for your advice Paulson! I think you are right about me worrying so much. Would you also recommend a stock oil for general maintenance?

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Not sure what products are available to you in Europe. For occasional maintenance of stock finishes I use "Linspeed", a product sold by Brownell's or Arrow oil, from Miracle Products Inc. But tung oil, Danish oil, boiled linseed oil with also work on any of the non-polyethene/epxoy finishes. Use very sparingly!!

Hillcountry likes this.