• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

How to remove L579 firing pin, adjust firing pin depth and reassemble

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Rogan Kinnear

This post jas been updated with video showing the removal of the firing pin and reassembly of bolt and firing pin. Scroll down to see video.

After doing a great deal of reading, both in this forum, online and on Youtube, I could not understand how to remove the L579 firing pin. I have had a play and figured it out. At some time I will get my wife to film the process so that it is easy to follow. The steps I took are as follows.

*Note! For more info on bolt part names I refer to see the diagram at the end of this post.

1. Measure your firing pin protrusion when the cocking piece is disengaged. To do this, rotate the cocking piece anti-clockwise into the bottom of the V cutout on the bolt.

If you are unsure of how to do this or it is too hard to do with your hands, use a piece of string to aide you as seen in Topgear's post 'how to re-cock your bolt!' Or below

Once in the bottom of the V cutout, the firing pin will protrude from the front of the bolt face and can be measured for later reference. It is worth writing this down.

2. If you wish to adjust your firing pin depth, use a small screwdriver to remove the firing pin locking screw found in the top of the cocking piece. See picture 4 below or the diagram at the end of this post for rough location (Note! DO NOT adjust the larger of the two screws found at the very rear of the firing pin assembly until the smaller of the two is removed!). Using callipers, adjust the desired depth of the firing pin by screwing the larger screw in the rear of the cocking piece in or out. The manual states that a firing pin protrusion between .059" and .071" is desirable.

3. To retract firing pin and cock the bolt. Use the string method to pull the cocking piece out of the V cutout on the bolt and into the cocking piece groove.

4. To remove the bolt, disengage it by grabbing the bolt sleeve and the cocking piece and turning the cocking piece clockwise until about 1 o'clock. You will feel the rear of the bolt cocking piece and sleeve release from the bolt body. Keep one hand over the rear of the cocking piece and one hand on the bolt so that the firing pin spring doesn't send the cocking piece and firing pin flying.

*Note! Use the string method above to assist you to move the cocking piece out of the V cutout and around past the groove the cocking piece rests in, in normal function (note, when engaged, this grove is difficult to see so see the picture below with the red and purple dots). Once you pass this smaller groove, you can turn the cockong piece to the 1 o'clock position by hand easily.
3523_1402_579-sako-rifle-bolt-disassembly.jpg
3523_1402_580-manufacture-ammunition-assembly.jpg

5. With your left hand, pull the bolt sleeve away from the firing pin assembly holding the cocking piece etc. in your right hand. You have removed the firing pin assembly and it can be cleaned.
3523_1402_581-mauser-bolt-stop-sight.jpg

Reassembly.
To reassemble the bolt, you will need to align a protruding rectangle notch on the bolt sleeve with a groove in the bolt. We would all proly call the location of this rectangle notch the top of the firing pin but I have attempted to use the language Sako used. If you look at the firing pin below the cocking piece and bolt sleeve, you will see it standing proud. A close look into the bolt with a torch will reveal a female groove going down and then both left and right.

1. Insert the male part on the bolt sleeve into the bolt where the cut out notch allows.

2 place the bolt face onto a flat, hard surface.

3. Using your thumb and and pointer on your right hand, grab the bolt sleeve only!

4. With your left hand hold the bolt.

5. Push down hard with your right hand and depress the bolt sleeve turning it anti-clockwise until the bolt rests in its's groove above the V cutout and in the cocking pieces groove. The v cut out and the cocking piece groove are pictured below. The cocking piece groove is marked with a red dot above it and the guide inside the bolt has a purple dot above it.
20200824_190932.jpg

It is worth mentioning that some people suggest that a low-grade locktight be applied to the firing pin locking screw (the smaller of the two screws). I don't have an opinion on that yet.

Reinstall your bolt in your firearm and rack your bolt to check function. Go slow so that no bluing is removed if you have not reassembled your bolt correctly. You MUST reset your bolt by hand, or string. You can not reset the cocking piece by inserting it in your firearm and only risk damaging your rifle or bolt. If it works and you have all your eyes, teeth and fingers intact, you're done.

Please note I wrote this from memory and may include mistakes. If you spot one, please say something. As stated I will make a video ASAP.

3523_1402_583-assembly-1911-colt-trigger-mechanism.jpg

56.jpg

Attachments

• 3523_1402_579-sako-rifle-bolt-disassembly.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 3523_1402_579-sako-rifle-bolt-disassembly.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back