How to make bolt stop ejector springs

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by gunner620, Dec 14, 2020.

1. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I have provided images depicting making bolt stop ejector springs. You will notice a wire forming block with 2 pins that are .100 ths. Space between pins is .050 ths. One pin is shorter than the other to allow the circular forming of the spring eye. Bend 35 degree angle first and then form the eye. Then, straighten the wire legs until they are parallel, place it over the long pin, and complete the other angle. (Note:) This is the basic form where magazine lock springs can be made for the P72 and M78 rifles. (May fit other P-Series rifles) Continuing with the bolt stop spring: Place the open ends of the legs in the extractor groove of a 30.06 case and form the contact leg for the spring tensioning. Next, use needle nose pliers and bend the contact arm slightly down to give clearance for the ejector. Next is: place the form over the 90 degree bending tool and bend the 90 degree angle. (Note:) The 90 degree bend that protrudes into the ejector should be approx. .150 ths. Cut the other leg as required for the bolt stop assembly. See image examples to see what the form should look like. Once all adjustments to spring are complete, follow the stress relieving instructions on the wire pack. Jim

Attached Files:

2. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Gunner..........nice!

Sure beats the heck out of the ol' spinner bait wire modification.

3. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Similar to how I make mine, except I used a wood block and several nails. Then bend it all in one hit. Cut off excess. Your done. Made for me by a piano tuner. I sent one to someone in the US but never heard back how he got on. I know all the ones I use in mine work perfect.

Pete

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Wow, there's a piece of information that I hope I never have to use - but I'm sure glad it's there. Thanks for posting!

5. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    lcebear,I have never had one fail either but they do occasionally . I have made springs for quit a few of the forum members when they had a need also magazine lock springs for the P72 and M78 for a few and I don't even have any Sako rimfires. I have made the form and they finished the long leg length and stress relieving on those. Have had no complaints. Jim