• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

How does Sako 85 stands against old Sako's AI- AV?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

odesit86

Just wonder how does Sako 85 stands against old Sako rifles AI- AV, L579 etc. ??? In terms longevity, ..barrel life, accuracy, practical usage, hunting...etc.
Although old Sako indeed have less barrel life left..cause more rounds in general put thru the years...
Would you sell your old Sako or exchange your on new Sako 85 ?
Any thought ?

In practical longevity you will not see any difference. If something does break you will have easier time finding replacements for the 85, than out of production models. But usually nothing breaks anyway, new or old. Any of them will last several lifetimes of hunting use if looked after, unless you get one with a polymer stock.

I’d like a 9.3x66, but I just can’t get my head around the ejection issues of the 85’s.

The front lug, or lack of, bugs me a little also.

Never could figure why anyone would buy an 85, with all the issues that have been exposed, when they could get an L or A series Sako for less than half the cost & without any of the "issues". YMMV!

Like all firearms, older Sakos have been going up in price. However, they are still the biggest bargain in the firearms market. As Paulson suggests, you can buy a used Sako L- or A-series in nice condition for a fraction of the price of a NIB Model 85 and have a classier, proven rifle. For that matter, you can buy a used Sako for very little more than the price of a used Remington 700. Paying a couple of hundred dollars more for a Sako L61R than a Remington 700 is like paying an additional 50 cents to get a filet mignon at Ruth's Cris instead of a Big Mac from MacDonald's. Or, put another way, buying a used L-series instead of a new Model 85 is like getting a used Mercedes with 5,000 miles on it for half the price of a new Fiat 500.

I own an 85 in 7 08 and an AV in 7x64. The AV seems to my untrained eye to be built better but the 85 is a great rifle. No ejection issues. It also has more features including a removable magazine and a button which allows you to operate the bolt in safe. It is also fully free floated. It is also about 1.5 pounds lighter.

My heart is with the AV but the 85 seems to be the superior rifle. AV cost me $1,650 and is mint. The 85 cost me $2,100 new.

My two cents.

6554830f252ae22ffd669d202bff9661.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard that also with the 85's having ejection problems. But the ones that I have, I have had no issues with them.

I have several model 85's in Varmint and I would call them excellent compared to other production rifles. They have a great set trigger, a magazine that will not eject accidentally, and a depress button so you can operate the bolt when the safety is on.

Coopers might be a bit better but look at what Coopers are selling for today $3000 and up. I've also heard that a few of the gunsmiths at Cooper have left the company and that their rifles might not have the quality they once did.

About the 85's if anyone has been thinking about getting one you might want to hurry up. I've heard rumors that Sako is going to discontinue them. I have not heard their going to replace
them with another model but maybe steer buyers to the new model S20.

CZ has stop making their model 527 which you could use to buy for $600 and now they are North of $1500 and going higher. If the rumor is true about the 85's it could go the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being a lefty I have owned AV’s in .270, 7mm RM, .300 wm and .338 wm. Also have owned Finnwolf in .308 and .243. I am a hunter first and quasi-collector. I hold onto the rifles for a few years then when and if I lose interest I sell and search for others. Each of my Sako’s were wonderfully accurate and solidly built. I enjoyed each one and now others are hopefully enjoying them.
I currently own two of the Sako 85 left hands. A 9.3x62 Hunter and a Bavarian in .25-06. I find these rifles to be just as accurate, just as solid and to me, more comfortable to carry, shoulder and shoot. Very attractive as well.
Don’t see parting with these anytime soon. Combined with my lh Tikka in 6.5x55 I have all the bases covered for any game I’ll be hunting.

I actually almost pulled the trigger and bought a new model 85 a few years back. I put down the deposit and was going to pay the balance on pick up. Anyways, I was watching or reading something on Nathan Foster website about rifle bedding. One of his specimens was a Sako 85 and he pointed out a uniquity in the design that kind of bothered me about the rife. So long story short, I got my deposit back the next day. If you need to know what, it was a sheetmetal looking thing that was just oddball to a rifle design. He gave me the impression that he did not know why it was designed ths way and I have yet to question his opinion as everything I have read or heard from him pretty much has made sense to me "common sense", not science sense. Anyways, not sur as to what ever happened to that rifle he was trying to bed, but when I was reading it, he just put the rifle aside as aincomplete and moved on. I tried to search for that later, but never really did find it specifically, but I have found a couple places where he makes it known that the model 85 is not as well designed as the earlier Sakos are.

All my Sako rifles are the A series models with the orange/brownish rubber butt pads. I know many came with the black hard buttplate, but I prefer the rubber butt pads, my personal preference. I think the later model sakos look dynomite, especially with the laminated stock and stainless action/barrel, but I will stick to my A series rifles for the time being.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting... I have a Sako AV in '06 caliber .... but still till today I wondering maybe I can sell it and buy Sako 85 ... case what drives me crazy ..its a videos about Sako 85s fit and finish and sound of that cycling the bolt also when people tells nice about it... it's so delicious..like you go in bakery and smells drives you..
But stories like this and ejector issues turn me away everytime...
Honestly I just yesterday was thinking maybe buy Tikka Stainless steel instead of AV and put in on laminated stock ( grey ) but I am not sure..
I just worried about my AV traditional wood stock ..that its not as sturdy and weatherproof as the other laminated stocks..
I dont know.. I was looking for Boyd's stock to replace original wood stock ..
Anyway interesting remark "Webphut" :)

Last edited:
I would not sell the AV. I too, am looking for a modern Laminated wood stock for my AV, but have not found anything I like yet. Some are out there, but feel too Chassis oriented or too Benchrest oriented. I am in the market for a hunting/sporting laminated rifle stock with adjustable cheek comb and length of pull. I would like it to have a 2-1/2" to 3" beavertail fore end. Outside of these three added features, I want it to be lean and minimalistic as possible to stay somewhat hunting practical. Weird, yes!, but what I want. I think that the microfit rifle stock company might be able to make it for me, but just need to contact them. They have a varmint rifle stock that looks pretty close to what I hav in mind. I would just need torequest the adjustable LOP and cheek rest.

Try perusing the Richards Microfit Gunstocks website. If a laminated stock floats your boat I would consider them as they have been around a long time. I recently ordered an exhibition grade stock at a very fair price and 96% finished. I know several people that have been very pleased with their products. You can choose the width and length of the "beaver tail" on the frontend on the "sporter" version as well as barrel width you might need. Good luck on your hunt.

If you need to know what, it was a sheetmetal looking thing that was just oddball to a rifle design.
I'm guessing it was the recoil lug? The purpose is to move the recoil bearing surface further forward thus leaving more wood on the stock between the recoil lug and the magazine well. I guess this was done because model 75 was pretty bad at busting out this said chunk of wood on heavy recoiling calibers, so they basically went back to what they did with the the 91 series and made this for the 85. Early ones had indeed a sheet metal looking thin cast piece, which did snap occasionally. They quickly ditched that for a machined steel piece, which is heavy but bomb proof. The separate recoil lug does create more moving parts and might not be the greatest for accuracy. I glued mine with epoxy to keep it from shifting around. Can't really say if it did anything for the accuracy, but my peace of mind was improved.

All this desire for a separate recoil lug is driven by cost cutting. Without recoil lug you can machine the receiver out of smaller diameter round bar, which is cheaper to buy, takes less machine time and wastes less material in chips.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it was the recoil lug? The purpose is to move the recoil bearing surface further forward thus leaving more wood on the stock between the recoil lug and the magazine well. I guess this was done because model 75 was pretty bad at busting out this said chunk of wood on heavy recoiling calibers, so they basically went back to what they did with the the 91 series and made this for the 85. Early ones had indeed a sheet metal looking thin cast piece, which did snap occasionally. They quickly ditched that for a machined steel piece, which is heavy but bomb proof. The separate recoil lug does create more moving parts and might not be the greatest for accuracy. I glued mine with epoxy to keep it from shifting around. Can't really say if it did anything for the accuracy, but my peace of mind was improved.

All this desire for a separate recoil lug is driven by cost cutting. Without recoil lug you can machine the receiver out of smaller diameter round bar, which is cheaper to buy, takes less machine time and wastes less material in chips.
Thanks for a very interesting piece of technical analysis.

Hi fellow Sako shooters,
Mr. Spaher, you will have to drill the holes for the "recoil lug". Please let me know how your experience with Richards Micro Fit goes. I had a 10 week wait,
IT WAS longer, the stock was not cut correctly & the action fit was awful. Hope yours does better!! but the wood looked good!! B/T

Latest posts

Back