• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

How does caliber impact price?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Another thread a couple of days ago brought up the issue of which Sako actions and calibers are most in demand (and thus bring a premium in the market) and which are less sought after (and thus are slower movers or bring a bit less). Lots of factors go into these price variations such as country, location within a country, relative scarcity, and simple fads. Opinions and perspective certainly vary, and it is unusual for any two of us to independently put exactly the same price or premium on a given rifle. That doesn't mean that one of us is "wrong" and the other is "right", it simply means that we have different opinions that are perhaps based on different priorities or information. I might be "right" about the sale of an L61R .30-06 in the morning, and "wrong" about the next sale that same afternoon -- every sale is, to some degree, unique.

To start the discussion (and not to generate an argument), I'm going to list my perception of how values Sakos of the later L-series from 1960 to 1971 (61R, 579, 461) are impacted by caliber chambering. This is for unmodified rifles in very good or better condition, and it is based primarily on how common or how scarce a caliber is, as well as how popular it is in the current shooting climate.

L61R, lowest to highest:
.30-06
7mm Rem
.270 Win
.300 Win Mag
.338 Win Mag
.375 H&H Mag
.25-06 Rem
.264 Win Mag
.300 H&H
.458 Win

(Not listed because they were never imported to the U.S. are the 7x57, 8x57, 7x64, and any other limited or special runs.)

L579, lowest to highest:
.243 Win
.308 Win
.22-250 Rem
.244 Rem

L461, lowest to highest:
.222 Mag

I'd invite anyone who wishes to revise this order of calibers according to your own opinion. No "right" or "wrong", just what you think. Also, if you wish to use the least valuable caliber as "100%" and rank each more valuable caliber as a percentage of the base caliber, that would also be an interesting exercise. The same thing can be done for later or earlier Sako models, but remember, we're just talking about the 1960-71 L-series right now. Calibers that were added after 1971 or to the A or later series don't count right now.

I'll look forward to your comments!

Last edited:
Hi Stone

I liked what you did here. I would also like to see what your thoughts are on the L46. In addition I would like you to include your thoughts on the much rarer 7x33, 218 Bee, 32-20 and the 22 hornet. Perhaps these rarities could be listed in order of the number produced and imported and if not imported the number known to be here in the states, if that is possible.

rick

I missed out on a 6.5x55 a couple years ago here on the forum. Was one of only two I ever saw for sale here in the States, so I would have to put it up there with the 300 H&H. Not certain they fell within your time frame, but I'd buy one in a minute if given the chance. Like Big Foot, I have yet to see any physical or photographic evidence that a L46 in 32-20 exists, but we can always hope one does!!

Rick, I'd be glad to expand the thread to those early models, but let's see what others have to say about the 1960-71 guns first. What's your opinion?

Marc: To the best of my knowledge the 6.5x55 wasn't chambered until the A-series came along. But you're certainly right that they bring a very nice premium when you can find one. Just for grins, what percentage of the typical price of a nice A-V .30-06 would you say the same in 6.5x55 would be worth?

The two I missed were about 2o% higher than a comparable '06. I got a feelin' it may take more to get someone to part with one, if he didn't "need" to sell it.

Stone, great topic. I think you are spot on with the short and medium action, whether your list is for standards or deluxes. But I started arguing with myself when looking at your list for long action ranking. I wouldn't change your long action list if it's for standard sporters. I would make a couple changes if the long action list is for bofors marked deluxe sporters. For one, I would move a 375 bofors marked deluxe sporter to right under the 458, or I might even put it above the 458. And, if talking about long action mannlichers, I might make a change or two.

Good point, Douglasstwo. The desirability of a given caliber may vary with the configuration of the rifle. I was thinking in terms of the standard sporter when I put my list in order. It might well change if I looked at it from the perspective of Deluxe, Mannlicher, or Heavy Barrel.

The two I missed were about 2o% higher than a comparable '06. I got a feelin' it may take more to get someone to part with one, if he didn't "need" to sell it.
I think your feelin' is right on the 6.5x55. Not only is the chambering fairly scarce, but it is enjoying a resurgence in popularity due to gun writers who seem to have "rediscovered" the 113 year-old cartridge. I'm thinking in terms of a 50 to 75% premium. Is that too high?

Hi Stone. I'm game for anything. I'm sure that a lot of members will come out of the woodwork to add their two cents worth. I can't wait to see where this goes.

rick

I think your feelin' is right on the 6.5x55. Not only is the chambering fairly scarce, but it is enjoying a resurgence in popularity due to gun writers who seem to have "rediscovered" the 113 year-old cartridge. I'm thinking in terms of a 50 to 75% premium. Is that too high?
Like everything it depends!! Depends on how bad a feller wants one & how inclined the seller is to sell. Based on how scarce they seem to be, I'm thinking the seller has pretty well got you by the short hair if you want one. It wouldn't surprise me if they commanded a 50% premium over a comparable '06, at least for an asking price. 75% would make me look for other places to spend my money more prudently. Wanted a Swede since I was a youngster, but the rifle options here in the US were slim to none unless you wanted a military surplus. Now all the makers are on the 6.5 bandwagon, but the offerings just don't have the appeal for me like the older Sakos. Maybe someday the rifle fairy will send one my way.

oh, this is a great thread !! thanks to all for chiming in and thanks StoneCreek for starting it up !!!

Everyone is right here, but I want to nudge a bit on what D2 started....those damn .375H&Hs !! where the Hell are they ? I believe I can find a three lug (not that all Finnbears made up to '71 were 3-lug) in .25-06 and .264WM before I can find one in .375, in any configuration. So, I would drop it down at least a couple of notches and place that caliber in/around the .300H&H. It took me forever to find one in Deluxe, but mine is not stamped "Bofors". I've got 4 rifles in .375, but only one of my sporters is marked "Bofors".

DeerGoose

I didn't realize that the .375's were such a scarce item. Good to get that input.

When we shuffle calibers up and down the list I guess we sound a little like sportswriters ranking draft picks based on the latest rumors of strained triceps.:p

fb4281e8b0fa7c13ea19221f0219699f.jpg

last week's trip to my favorite gun shop window shopping. I was ignorant of the hierarchy of calibers when I took these notes. The '+' and 'nice' speak for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of those rifles are good ones! If it were me, I'd be working a bundle deal and trying to buy all three of them !!!

DeerGoose

Guys, the .264 is marked Firearms Int&l Corp Wash. D.C. What gives?
The vast majority of .264's were imported 1971 and earlier by Firearms International (but only those which arrived late in 1968 through 1971 will have the F.I. import mark which was mandated by the 1968 GCA). A relative handful came in after Garcia became the U.S. importer and will be marked with Garcia's import mark. I'm not certain when the last .264 was made by Sako before they dropped the chambering, but it was probably in the early 1970's before Garcia had imported more than a relative handful.

Back