Houston, We have a Sako

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Dennez, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Dennez

Dennez Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hello,

My name is Dennis and I am the new owner of an old Sako. So of course I would like to learn all about it. The model is L61R AIII. The serial number is 6 digits beginning with 541 therefore I believe the year of manufacture to be '78 or '79. It has these cool designs; a viney plant is on the trigger guard, a depiction of what looks like it may be a reign deer and what I asume to be the Finnbear head on the grip cap. Calliber and cartidge designation is .300 Win Mag.

This gun must have been someone's favorite or their only one for hunting. The stock shows what I would think to be common wear in the form of nicks, chips, scratches an mutting of the gloss in areas of most contact. the metal components appear to be in remarkably good condition with some moderate wear marks on the barrel where it is most exposed between the stock muzzle.

The bolt reveals that the rifle has cast a few rounds but, how many, I could not begin to guess. surfaces are sharp and smooth where they should be and the bolt locks in place tightly. The trigger feels good to me the bore is clean.

So here comes my first question; you know i'm going to ask it. Did I do well on my purchase. At the moment I will only say that I paid well under $1000 for the rifle. If I am not depressed by your answers I have several more question. But, I do not anticipate that I will have to break out the anti depressants. I can send pictures to you if that is helpful.

Thank you for reading my message and I look forward to your responses.

Dennis

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Welcome to Sakohaulics Anonymous, my name is Hippie.
    Sounds like you’ve done some research already, as you sound pretty close on the period of manufacture.
    Your rifle sounds like a Deluxe model , with engraving on trigger guard and floor plate. The animal is a stylistic antelope, commonly referred to as the Sakolope. Photos of your gun would be cool. To help identify and also to just gawk at cause that’s one thing we like to do here. There will be many comments I’m sure, Deluxes always draw a crowd.
    Well under a grand is very good to hear and sometimes hard to believe. Well done!

Hippie

3. Dennez

Dennez Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I love hippies who love guns. And there are a few out there. One hippie friend of mine was into class 3 before anybody gave a crap if you were rolling full auto out in west Texas.

I can add more pictures once I can take an upload them on this POS Mac computer. God, I hate Apple! But, I love apples.

You can see some of the battle scars. And I think whoever used the rifle liked to hunt and eat fried chicken at the same time. There is some dried up old KFC grime on the stock. This brings me to question #2. What's the best way to clean 40 years of grime off your furniture?

D

HHX4DK9LQhy+THLiG0pLCg.jpg 2jlh2jAXTnauFHuJvGuqLw.jpg

ricksengines likes this.
  4. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Looks like a winner to me. Other than the after market pad it looks good to this old Sako lover. Sakojim.

5. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Yup! De Lux…yours shows the improved bolt shroud, also correct period for AIII’s and AV’s.
    It’s a nice gun man, you should get excellent performance from it.
    For KFC gunk, as well as most other stuff that needs cleaned from furniture, I just use damp cloth with a touch of Murphy oil soap, go easy and don’t soak it long. Liquid Gold works well but rub it sparingly and dry cloth it completely to finish. That’s what I do, and I almost bet ya someone else will have a better idea!
    Hippie

6. Dennez

Dennez Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks SakoJim.

I don't know about the better idea. Hippies are crafty. They just do it and they like to do it often and they'll do it anywhere. Go Hippies!

I am surprised you guys did not ask me why I was drawn to this Sako in the first place. Ah, it doesn't matter.

So the rifle had been on consignment at my local fun store, I mean gun store. So I gave $750 cash for just the rifle; scope not included.

D

7. Dennez

Dennez Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I am trying to show you guys the condition for better or for worse. Question #3. Is it worth refinishing? I am thinking no because its just for me and I'm not trying to win any gun of the year award.

TTniwEHATLygHmsGuaa1aA.jpg 7avn%C3wTTWkiktpb2jpjA.jpg zOK19WXOSAm8xCB+QIkdNw.jpg TNAvo8jQTKiYduJ7VsJeHw.jpg a0qZuwE%TuegIkGXtNBV8Q.jpg I6IOyMHtSiCp8m4e2QB0pg.jpg holojtakScqZo4nbFnc5iQ.jpg

ricksengines likes this.
  8. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Once you get it to the range, see and feel how it shoots, a new finish job may not seem important any longer. I have many rifles that are in less than perfect condition but function flawlessly with outstanding accuracy. Dings and scratches don’t bother me once I decide to keep it.

Hippie

As long as it wasn’t the KFC gunk that attracted you, it should be fine :D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  9. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    It sounds like your Sako has what was called sticky stock.
    This was a somewhat common problem on the Stoeger era guns.
    I am not sure if there is a quick remedy or not.
    It has something to do with the finish formula being used at the time.
    Nice piece by the way and welcome.
    Kax

Old Hippie likes this.
  10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You have a Deluxe A-III in very good "shooter" grade. It shows what I would call "honest use", meaning that it has been carried and hunted with, but not abused. No, I wouldn't refinish it. That will only de-value it if you should ever want to sell and won't make it kill a deer or an elk any deader.

Find (or order online) some Ballistol, an excellent lubricant, preservative, and cleaner. You can rub down both the stock and metal with it and it will remove grime, help cover surface scratches, and protect both metal and wood.

Check your action screws before shooting. The wood generally shrinks some on older rifles, so the action screws need to be checked and kept tight. Make the front action screw (just in front of the floorplate hinge) as tight as you can make it by hand with a good-fitting screwdriver. Make the rear action screw good and snug, but not squeaky tight.

Enjoy!

bigcountry4me likes this.
  11. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Why do you hate the Mac? I used Windows computers through the latter part of my professional career, and was involved with software and system issues for a couple of years. This was in the days of Windows NT (aka "The Blue Screen of Death"). One of the first things I did when I retired was to stick my Windows machine in the corner and buy a Mac. I've never looked back. I have a 27" iMac and a MacBook Air, and when the new iMac with its M1 processor comes out with the large-screen version, I'll be trotting down to the Apple store for one. My cousin used to be CEO of a software company and later started a successful systems consulting business. His motto was, "I've got a cure for all your Microsoft problems. It's called a Mac." So what Mac do you have, and what is it you hate about it?

12. Dennez

Dennez Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Icebear, I didn't mean to upset anybody with my comment Apple. I thought everybody hated them. Agaist the advice of 2 seperate IT teams I bought an Apple. Well I thought I bought an Apple but all I got was the core. This is probably the wrong place to discuss this in detail. I'll just say, I was warned, they were right, and I was wrong.

Old Hippie likes this.
  13. Dennez

Dennez Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thank you Sakonites for your comments. I still have not gone out to shoot the ole girl. No, not my wife, the gun. Maybe this weekend.

Hippie, your formula for cleanning the wood was right on. It took as much elbow grease as it did Murhpy's oil soap but, it was worth it. The finish doesn't feel as sticky with out the dried on chicken grease.

I wonder if they used nitrocellulose lacquers on gun stocks? Would anyone in Sakoland know the answer to this?

Take care,

D

14. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    No upset here, just curiosity. I've had excellent results with Apple, especially compared to the period in my career when I was the office Microsoft guru. Back in the day when you could buy a motherboard, case, etc. and build your own Windows computer, I built several so I'm pretty familiar with both systems, and I am curious as to what it is about Apple that inspires such venom.