Holland & Holland's SAKO rifles

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by Stan the Gun man, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Stan the Gun man

Stan the Gun man Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    I know for a fact that H&H did make a few rifles on Sako's. I wonder if any one here has one, or as pictures of H&H collaborations.

The H&H records show that they were all taken to the shooting grounds, shot and checked, then were sent back to be reworked if they didn't shoot properly(When did that ever happen with a Sako, right? ;) ). Not all seem to have been restocked by H&H, or more likely made from barrelled actions, so there's a mix. The Husqvarnas I've seen do seem to all have been restocked, but only half of the Sakos I've seen appear to have been. They started with FFV Husqvarnas in the late 60s, then when FFV stopped making sporting rifles around 1972 they switched to Sako. The Husqvarnas were numbered on the trigger guards from 01 upwards to around 099, with Sakos being numbered up to above 400. I don't think they re-blued them.

I found a Sako made H&H for sale in Denmark at Hunters House if anyone is interested.
    https://huntershouse.dk/kat120-Detaljer/side742-Holland-Holland.html

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The H&H Sakos are an interesting and scarce animal.

I don't think it is accurate to say that H&H "made" rifles on Sako actions, but rather they "marketed" rifles made by Sako. So far as I can determine, the complete rifle was made by Sako.

H&H stamped (or had stamped ) "shot and regulated by H&H" on them. As far as being "regulated", with a single-barrel rifle that could only mean that they sighted in the open sights. And as far as accuracy, they wouldn't be able to verify accuracy beyond the capability of open sights, so it is highly unlikely that they ever rejected or had reworked anything coming from Sako.

The model is rather plain with a matte-finished stock, but with fairly pleasing classic line with a mild Monte Carlo. There was one in the last few months offered on Gunbroker in the U.S. on which the asking price was similar to the one in Denmark. Obviously, the price is based more on the H&H name than on the intrinsic value of the Sako it is stamped on.

Stan the Gun man likes this.
  3. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Wow. Sure far different from any H&H rifle I've ever seen! And the price--about $2440 USD. About as plain a piece of walnut as you'll encounter, albeit with perhaps more generous checkering patterns. Said to have a red deer head engraved on the floorplate, along with the initials B.D.S., so I guess those features would be legitimate H&H additions.

The ad says "It really meant something to add a name for Holland & Holland, so the...gear really should be up to the best standard" (Google translation). I find this a little sad to see from a once-great gunmaker.

4. Stan the Gun man

Stan the Gun man Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    I see what you mean, and I kind of agree, but! If you are the maker of high quality rifles, to an increasing expense, for a tiny and shrinking group of wealthy customers then you need to create profit somehow. And as far as I know H&H have always bought parts from other makers, and yeas I know its a huge differance to just slapping your brand name to a rifle some one else made entirely. But, as I see this from a Sako nerds perspective, I see this a bit differently. To me its a Sako thing, and perhaps even a tribute to Sako, after all. The Sako was good enough to save the house of Holland & Holland and worthy of their approval, in all its plain simplicity!

Says quite a lot of Sako's products wouldn't you say? ;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stan, I agree that the H&H brand on the rifle is something of a complement to Sako. I would also say that for a couple of hundred dollars or so H&H could have specified upgraded wood and a deep, hand-rubbed oil finish. That would have more than paid for itself in sales to people interested in high-grade firearms and the panache of the H&H name.

6. Stan the Gun man

Stan the Gun man Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Indeed! I know that they did so for the early FFV CG 1900 rifles, don't know if they did the same for the Sako's but I totally agree with you that it would have been to H&Hs advantage to do so. Would be nice to find more pics of H&H Sakos and perhaps find some more info on the rifles and if any variations were made.

7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879501844 Here's one for sale currently on Gunbroker. Looks very similar to the one for sale in Denmark, but apparently was owned by a shooter who was long-of-arm due to the very thick added pad and spacers.

This one has been offered over a period of several months with no takers, so it is pretty clear that the market doesn't value it as highly as the seller does.

8. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I wonder whether they replaced the tacky aluminum bottom metal on the 1900s with an all-steel version. You'd have to hope so. Hard to imagine an H&H rifle with aluminum parts....

9. Stan the Gun man

Stan the Gun man Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    I guess the average Sako user is perhaps more of a utilitarian rather than the Tweed clad gentleman gentleman that has also has a bespoke Safari Jacket in his closet and usually is the type that frequents No 13 Bruton street. ;) (No there is nothing wrong with having a bespoke Safari jacket, I just can't afford one myself. So I had to get mine from Orvis. )

South Pender: I hope they did, cause those aluminium bottoms on the CG 1900's are down right awful! One of the first things I would have if it would have been up to me.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  10. RangerAV

RangerAV Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland
    Heh... Orvis prices pretty much represent my "bespoke" limit. I can sometimes afford our local Cabela's/Bass Pro prices, though. :)

-Chris

11. Stan the Gun man

Stan the Gun man Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Laughing with you, not at you! :D