• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hi from a new SAKO AV .30-06 Owner!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

CYAL8R

Hi to all my fellow Sako lovers!

For many years I have admired the quality of Sako Rifles ands was lucky enough to acquire on recently!

Mine is a Model AV, .30-06, Made in Finland with a serial number of 642507.

Is there any information of the Date of Manufacture available??

I would really like to learn more about this Sako. It is in beautiful condition!

SAKO AV .30-06 BOLT ACTION RIFLE SN 642507(1).jpg

Hello and Welcome.
Your AV is from the 80’s , it will not be in the records as they only cover a period up to 1973 or so.
With that being said, there is lots of info here about Sako’s of every type and model.
Have you been able to shoot your AV? How do you like it ?

Dating a Sako can be difficult as they didn't make rifles in sequential order. So, unless there are factory records or a hang tag available it's a guess. We can, however, estimate it's production date using certain features of the rifle. Looking at the stock shape, finish, type of recoil pad, as well as the serial number, I would say the rifle was made in the late 1980s to 1990 but before they started using the Tikka trigger (which required the extra rear stock crossbolt) later in 1990. If your rifle has the two part trigger guard it was made between 1988 & before the Tikka trigger in 1990. I'm guessing yours has the two part trigger guard. Let us know.

Hello and Welcome.
Your AV is from the 80’s , it will not be in the records as they only cover a period up to 1973 or so.
With that being said, there is lots of info here about Sako’s of every type and model.
Have you been able to shoot your AV? How do you like it ?
Hi bloorooster,
Thank you for the information. I have not fired it yet but I look for ward to it.!

Dating a Sako can be difficult as they didn't make rifles in sequential order. So, unless there are factory records or a hang tag available it's a guess. We can, however, estimate it's production date using certain features of the rifle. Looking at the stock shape, finish, type of recoil pad, as well as the serial number, I would say the rifle was made in the late 1980s to 1990 but before they started using the Tikka trigger (which required the extra rear stock crossbolt) later in 1990. If your rifle has the two part trigger guard it was made between 1988 & before the Tikka trigger in 1990. I'm guessing yours has the two part trigger guard. Let us know.
Thank You I will check the trigger guard.

Here are a few pictures of the trigger guard. Does that help/ Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231018_165146.jpg
    20231018_165146.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231018_165153.jpg
    20231018_165153.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231018_165230.jpg
    20231018_165230.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231018_165236.jpg
    20231018_165236.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 16
I hope these work out., It is happy hour!

Attachments

• 20231018_185824.jpg
    20231018_185824.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231018_185955.jpg
    20231018_185955.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231018_190204.jpg
    20231018_190204.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 28
Me neither..yours must be a tad earlier. Appears to have one piece bottom metal.
The timber is pretty too!
Nice gun!

Hello all,
Great looking timber.
What year did the AV start production?
I have one in .30/06 s/n 596- - -
Mine has the fiddleback in the forend!
Great shooter, you will enjoy carrying that gun in the woods.
Ciao, Jay

Hello all,
Great looking timber.
What year did the AV start production?
I have one in .30/06 s/n 596- - -
Mine has the fiddleback in the forend!
Great shooter, you will enjoy carrying that gun in the woods.
Ciao, Jay
From the data available to me, the stamping change from AIII to AV, for the non-magnum rounds, occurred in the fall of 1981. Th AV stamping on the magnum receivers started in January of 1982. But, with Sako there is always some "variation" when changes happened.

From the data available to me, the stamping change from AIII to AV, for the non-magnum rounds, occurred in the fall of 1981. Th AV stamping on the magnum receivers started in January of 1982. But, with Sako there is always some "variation" when changes happened.
I agree..I was thinking early 80’s for the AV. The long action A series is most confusing.
The A series (in general) began when?
‘78?

I agree..I was thinking early 80’s for the AV. The long action A series is most confusing.
The A series (in general) began when?
‘78?
AI- 1979, AII- 1977(very late), AIII- 1978, AIV- 1980, AV- 1981-82. I know of no way to confirm this 100% and I think the actual dates could vary by a few months, but when you're talking "what year" it's probably close enough.

Back