• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hey! l461 varmint owner

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Isaac

Hey I’ve recently acquired a l461 vixen varmint (wide forend, I assume this makes it a varmint model?), rebarreled in .204 ruger with a very early Kahles 8x56. Serial number is 86,5xx From what research I’ve done I think it’s a “pre Garcia” era sako. If anyone could shed some light on this rifle it would be muchly appreciated! I think someone has had an attempt at refinishing the stock, the for end has full wrap around checkering, is this original? I plan to have the rifle fully restored over time. Thanks fellow Sako enthusiasts!

On a side note, I’m after a Tikka M55 .223 bolt and magazine in Australia if anyone can help me.

6718058A-C2A1-4503-BBDE-881B6B24A8D4.jpeg 69F2B78A-53AB-4863-9280-1AEF03EF5471.jpeg B2599785-A33D-459F-ADEE-3835C7905A38.jpeg 6001441D-C236-4102-98CF-4695D2533F0E.jpeg 1E746EC6-F829-4962-946B-AA2DEC5BC776.jpeg E257A758-98DA-48CF-9BC6-2769418EE471.jpeg 2AB2DF16-69C3-4140-AAC2-B68006E8F0BA.jpeg 565B7702-E01F-4435-AA49-B0346F9A1CD5.jpeg

Attachments

• 6491C9B1-28F5-4BE5-94EF-630B1A2C0D3D.jpeg
    6491C9B1-28F5-4BE5-94EF-630B1A2C0D3D.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 16
Hey I’ve recently acquired a l461 vixen varmint (wide forend, I assume this makes it a varmint model?), rebarreled in .204 ruger with a very early Kahles 8x56. Serial number is 86,5xx From what research I’ve done I think it’s a “pre Garcia” era sako. If anyone could shed some light on this rifle it would be muchly appreciated! I think someone has had an attempt at refinishing the stock, the for end has full wrap around checkering, is this original? I plan to have the rifle fully restored over time. Thanks fellow Sako enthusiasts!

On a side note, I’m after a Tikka M55 .223 bolt and magazine in Australia if anyone can help me.

View attachment 25114 View attachment 25116 View attachment 25117 View attachment 25118 View attachment 25119 View attachment 25120 View attachment 25121 View attachment 25122
pm me regarding tikka parts

From what research I’ve done I think it’s a “pre Garcia” era sako.
All Sakos originally imported to Australia are "pre-Garcia" since Garcia was never the importer there. Yours is from the pre-1968 (roughly) era as evidenced by its "s"-shaped floorplate release. I has the "Australian" bolt shroud, which fully encompasses the striker when the bolt is cocked, making it less subject to a theoretical blow to the striker accidentally firing the rifle. This was found exclusively on Sakos imported to Australia so far as anyone has been able to determine. The stock is original and yes, the forearm checkering did extend all the way around including the bottom. I don't think I've ever seen a Sako stock on which the checkering on the grip was worn almost completely down the the wood underneath. Shows it has had lots of use in the field and it may be on more than just its second barrel. However, I like the "character" that its use shows -- always satisfying to see a rifle that has been utilized to its fullest.

All Sakos originally imported to Australia are "pre-Garcia" since Garcia was never the importer there. Yours is from the pre-1968 (roughly) era as evidenced by its "s"-shaped floorplate release. I has the "Australian" bolt shroud, which fully encompasses the striker when the bolt is cocked, making it less subject to a theoretical blow to the striker accidentally firing the rifle. This was found exclusively on Sakos imported to Australia so far as anyone has been able to determine. The stock is original and yes, the forearm checkering did extend all the way around including the bottom. I don't think I've ever seen a Sako stock on which the checkering on the grip was worn almost completely down the the wood underneath. Shows it has had lots of use in the field and it may be on more than just its second barrel. However, I like the "character" that its use shows -- always satisfying to see a rifle that has been utilized to its fullest.

hey stonecreek, thanks for your reply some great info in there. Yes this rifle has done some work I was told by the previous owner it’s on its 4th barrel. Still young! I used to offsider for a old roo shooter at Charleville Qld that had an old L461 in .222 mag and that rifle was on its 11th barrel with all original parts in working order. All his rifles had a 8x56 Kahles on top. Ever since then I’ve wanted one in my safe but found it hard to get one with the varmint stock. Can’t wait to have it restored back to its former glory!

G’day Isaac, it’s had a good life that’s for sure.
Who will do the stock work etc. for you ?

G’day Isaac, it’s had a good life that’s for sure.
Who will do the stock work etc. for you ?

Deersako

I’m not sure, I don’t actually know anyone that does that kind of work. I would like somone who has experience with these rifles to do the job so they can get the checkering correct. I want it to look absolutely original. Do you have someone in mind?
Thanks Isaac

Deersako

I’m not sure, I don’t actually know anyone that does that kind of work. I would like somone who has experience with these rifles to do the job so they can get the checkering correct. I want it to look absolutely original. Do you have someone in mind?
Thanks Isaac

I can only comment on work I’ve seen.
Kudu Services in Victoria for the metal work.
A couple of guys I know for the stock work, though they don’t do it as a business. When the time comes, send me a pm and I’ll ask if they will take it on.

I’m pretty sure theres businesses closer to you with good reputations, Sunshine Coast Gunsmithing to name one.

I can only comment on work I’ve seen.
Kudu Services in Victoria for the metal work.
A couple of guys I know for the stock work, though they don’t do it as a business. When the time comes, send me a pm and I’ll ask if they will take it on.

I’m pretty sure theres businesses closer to you with good reputations, Sunshine Coast Gunsmithing to name one.

Okay I will, thanks

Come to think of it, there is a member here that some refer to as ‘The Stock Whisperer’.

I won’t out him, but I’ll alert him to this thread...

The Stock Whisperer… sounds like he’s the man for the job! Ha!
Isaac

;)

That sweet little rifle has been loved to death it looks like the checkering has recieved some from some 180 grit:rolleyes:

I think there may be some nice timber under all that muck well worth a resto that is for sure.

G'day Isaac, terrific old rifle that has done a lot of work, but still has plenty left in it. As soon as I saw that dent in the stock on top of the grip area I thought "ex-pro shooters rifle" - I have one that has that same dent. Apparently it is from sitting upside down in a cradle or similar in the shooting vehicle.

A thread on my old rifle: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/a-hard-used-l461-hb-223-now-17-222.9567/

By the way, the Stock Whisperer has already posted on this thread......

Marcus

My old girl:

e780574c2d7d922a9d7180f2a73706e9.jpg

The dent in the top of the grip - I couldn't steam it out:

b662dcb0b17fa563d698a939d0815b03.jpg

335c8f6a00a35c54ff50787423e309b3.jpg

Marcus

G'day Isaac, terrific old rifle that has done a lot of work, but still has plenty left in it. As soon as I saw that dent in the stock on top of the grip area I thought "ex-pro shooters rifle" - I have one that has that same dent. Apparently it is from sitting upside down in a cradle or similar in the shooting vehicle.

A thread on my old rifle: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/a-hard-used-l461-hb-223-now-17-222.9567/

By the way, the Stock Whisperer has already posted on this thread......

Marcus

Marcus
That’s a very nice rifle in deed, and yes it was bought off an old roo shooter. The worn bit on the grip can also be caused by the rear window gun racks in utes. The stock whisperer graced me with a message and has agreed to take on the job! Will get it send off this week.
Isaac

Marcus
That’s a very nice rifle in deed, and yes it was bought off an old roo shooter. The worn bit on the grip can also be caused by the rear window gun racks in utes. The stock whisperer graced me with a message and has agreed to take on the job! Will get it send off this week.
Isaac
Hey, I'd love to see progress on this if you have progressed.. I have recently picked up the same rifle, however with the original 222 barrel etc. Very cool guns

Some updated photos after it’s had the stock whisperers touch

Attachments

• IMG_3717.jpeg
    IMG_3717.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3716.jpeg
    IMG_3716.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3705.jpeg
    IMG_3705.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3706.jpeg
    IMG_3706.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3707.jpeg
    IMG_3707.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3702.jpeg
    IMG_3702.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3704.jpeg
    IMG_3704.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 30
Indeed!
…and touch it he did!

Amazing, amazing timber and a beautiful job showing it!

Put her back together soon so we can see her final glory!
Oops .. nevermind I just saw the firing pin post😏

Back