Hey Everyone from New Zealand need some advice

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Michael Roach, Jul 14, 2019 at 3:19 AM.

1. Michael Roach

Michael Roach Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    AU Aboriginal
    I have a chance to purchase a Sako AV in Rem 25 06, havent seen said rifle, all I know is that its approximately 1800 NZ$ and that it is on the other side of the country haha (internet purchase)..I am just wondering if you can give me some advice on what to look for damage and wear wise, the only thing I know about said rifle is that its almost as old as myself.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Other than obvious cosmetic damage to the stock & bluing, the condition of the bore is the main thing to consider. Usually most hunting rifles don't have many rounds fired thru them & can last for several generations. I've bought many a rifle that was beat up on the outside but had pristine bores. Most are carried more than shot. I can fix & live with dinged up wood & worn bluing, but a bad bore can only be fixed with a new barrel. I have rifles over 100 years old that shoot just fine. It's not about age, but about how they were used & cared for.

3. Glenn Verrall

Glenn Verrall Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Sounds a little bit on the high side but could well be worth it if in great condition. At least if you drove over to have a look it would only take an hour or so( haha). Depends on barrel condition etc as Paulson has said, scope and extras might soften the blow to the wallet. You won't regret buying it even after you get over the initial pain in the hip pocket.