• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Here pre purchase

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Ian H

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm here to soak up all I can while I zero in (intended) on which Sako will be 'the one'. Front runner is the Bavarian in .270. Will be for white tail and perhaps others. Looking for something that has greater quality and lasting power than me. Perhaps to pass down. Considering a return to hunting after 30 years, and if I do Im committed to doing it in the way I imagine.

Thanks in advance for all that is here, and will be here. I'm looking forward to diving in.

Sakos are fine rifles, certainly generational, and many are those who were lucky enough to have had one passed down from the tribal elders. Advice on which Sako to buy is easy... you can't buy a bad model so buy any Sako you hear calling your name. Pick vintage (my choice) or modern. You will buy a great rifle. And if you decide to get back into the world of hunting, you're doing it with a good rifle

Sakos are fine rifles, certainly generational, and many are those who were lucky enough to have had one passed down from the tribal elders. Advice on which Sako to buy is easy... you can't buy a bad model so buy any Sako you hear calling your name. Pick vintage (my choice) or modern. You will buy a great rifle. And if you decide to get back into the world of hunting, you're doing it with a good rifle
I'm staying open to other sako choices... but thats the one that makes me think Im going to my favorite page in the Christmas catalogue over and over. :)

Can't go wrong with Sako, and .270 Win has always been my favorite whitetail caliber. A .270 also has plenty of capability for larger game, even up to the size of moose.

Can't go wrong with Sako, and .270 Win has always been my favorite whitetail caliber. A .270 also has plenty of capability for larger game, even up to the size of moose.
This is leaning more technical for the greet page, but do you go with 130 grain for deer? Im trying to do the reading on how to approach Canadian medium to large game. At least regional. White tail, black bear and moose being the closest options. I also rea in a thread that the 20inch barrell was perhaps to short...unrelated to bullet dynamics i think. That was in the 75 85 section...and im rambling. Lol

I certainly prefer a 24" barrel for a .270. You'll lose about 100 fps with a 20" barrel and gain quite a bit of muzzle blast. However, that's not to say that a 20" barrel is somehow inadequate or that you'll lose game with it that you would have otherwise taken with a 24" barrel.

I use a 130 grain bullet for whitetails and whatever conventional bullet shoots well in your rifle will do fine. Jack O'Connor, probably the most famed advocate of the .270, often used 130's for elk as well. But something like a 140 grain Accubond or 150 grain Nosler Partition might be better suited to the larger game.

Ian
I am a fan of the .270 as well.
For years it was shotgun hunting only where I live so that is what I knew.
In the late 80s some friends took me to the Adirondacks where rifle hunting was legal and I carried a .270 with a 20" barrel.
On the first morning out I had a chance at a nice whitetail buck at just over 100 yds, much too far for the shotgun but a slam dunk for the .270.
Dropped on the spot.
Field dressed 189 lbs
I have been a fan ever since. Black bears are no problem either, from my experience.
A fixed 4x on my .270 AIII is all I have ever needed and my current favorite rig for whitetail at "woods ranges"
There are certainly many others with far more experience than myself I am just saying what works for me.
As a youngster I read Jack O'Connor so it came as no surprise that the .270 worked as well in my experience as it did in his. What I am trying to say is if you end up getting a .270, you should not be disappointed.
Just aim and squeeze.
My 2 cents.

Ian
I am a fan of the .270 as well.
For years it was shotgun hunting only where I live so that is what I knew.
In the late 80s some friends took me to the Adirondacks where rifle hunting was legal and I carried a .270 with a 20" barrel.
On the first morning out I had a chance at a nice whitetail buck at just over 100 yds, much too far for the shotgun but a slam dunk for the .270.
Dropped on the spot.
Field dressed 189 lbs
I have been a fan ever since. Black bears are no problem either, from my experience.
A fixed 4x on my .270 AIII is all I have ever needed and my current favorite rig for whitetail at "woods ranges"
There are certainly many others with far more experience than myself I am just saying what works for me.
As a youngster I read Jack O'Connor so it came as no surprise that the .270 worked as well in my experience as it did in his. What I am trying to say is if you end up getting a .270, you should not be disappointed.
Just aim and squeeze.
My 2 cents.
Well that's two very experienced folks mentioning Jack O'Connor, so I'll take that as a que to find out who that is and get reading. In New York I imagine you have very similar experiences to us across the big lake. :) Where I live specifically, it is shotgun and bow, with some black powder. Some friends are trying to get me to buy some underlayers and get up further north with them, this the .270. Really appreciate you taking the time to weigh in; you two Stonecreek.

I certainly prefer a 24" barrel for a .270. You'll lose about 100 fps with a 20" barrel and gain quite a bit of muzzle blast. However, that's not to say that a 20" barrel is somehow inadequate or that you'll lose game with it that you would have otherwise taken with a 24" barrel.

I use a 130 grain bullet for whitetails and whatever conventional bullet shoots well in your rifle will do fine. Jack O'Connor, probably the most famed advocate of the .270, often used 130's for elk as well. But something like a 140 grain Accubond or 150 grain Nosler Partition might be better suited to the larger game.
Not sure about dates on when all the bullets came out, but I don't think Jack had many choices other than the 130, back in the day.

I believe Sako catalogs both a Bavarian style rifle and carbine. Ian H hasn't specified whether he is looking at a rifle or a carbine.

I handload for Sako carbines; a fast-burning powder can get some of the velocity back and reduce muzzle blast. Also improves accuracy. I like IMR 3031 for .30-06 but I've never loaded for a short-barreled .270.

I believe Sako catalogs both a Bavarian style rifle and carbine. Ian H hasn't specified whether he is looking at a rifle or a carbine.

I handload for Sako carbines; a fast-burning powder can get some of the velocity back and reduce muzzle blast. Also improves accuracy. I like IMR 3031 for .30-06 but I've never loaded for a short-barreled .270.
Im thinking rifle. Really like the classic look. I was able to shoulder one at a local shop in a different caliber. I really liked the pull length.

Been on a dive over the last 45 mins looking for Mr. O'Connor. 'The Hunting Rifle" seems to be the go to read to start with. Gl finding that one for reasonable money.

Jack O'Connor was the shooting editor for Outdoor Life magazine for many years. He has been retired and deceased for many, many years, but many of us who are categorized as Baby Boomers read his books and articles religiously as youngsters and regarded him as something of a shooting and hunting deity.

I'm here to soak up all I can while I zero in (intended) on which Sako will be 'the one'. Front runner is the Bavarian in .270. Will be for white tail and perhaps others.

Im thinking rifle. Really like the classic look. I was able to shoulder one at a local shop in a different caliber. I really liked the pull length.

We're planning ahead for our infrequent semi-annual (really "semi-sometimes") whitetail hunt this year, and another bud was coincidentally shopping on a Model 85 Bavarian, so I've recently been paying more attention to rifles than usual... and I can weigh in with some absolutely biased opinion to see if it helps! :)

Advances in bullet design/construction/implementation over the last three (?) decades and probably especially over the last decade or so... means probably anything from .243 Win and upwards will work well enough for almost everything short of moose/great bears/bison... and maybe anything from .25-'06 Rem upwards (with judicious shots) to add moose into that mix. Around here, folks even use the .223 Rem (where legal) for our tiny whitetail specimens.

IOW, it doesn't take as much of a big honkin' cartridge these days... assuming reasonable bullet selection for the game in question.

That of course shouldn't discourage folks from buying the largest cannon they feel like playing with, though! :)

FWIW, I've been leaning more toward short actions these days. My bud was thinking of a long action; in that case, I think I'd have considered the 6.5x55 in the 85 Bavarian instead of the .270. Just thinking Scandinavian cartridge in a Scandinavian rifle...

I actually owned a Husqvarna M96/38 6.5x55 some (almost) 40 years ago; very easy to shoot well...

-Chris

Last edited:
FWIW, I've been leaning more toward short actions these days. My bud was thinking of a long action; in that case, I think I'd have considered the 6.5x55 in the 85 Bavarian instead of the .270. Just thinking Scandinavian cartridge in a Scandinavian rifle...

I actually owned a Husqvarna M96/38 6.5x55 some (almost) 40 years ago; very easy to shoot well...

-Chris
The 6.5 "Swede" is definitely a Scandinavian cartridge, but the Finns don't consider themselves Scandinavian as far as I know. I believe Finland is called a "Nordic" country, as is Iceland. So, I guess Sakos are "Nordic" rifles. Icebear & others have spent time in Finland, so they would know better what the Finns call themselves

We're planning ahead for our infrequent semi-annual (really "semi-sometimes") whitetail hunt this year, and another bud was coincidentally shopping on a Model 85 Bavarian, so I've recently been paying more attention to rifles than usual... and I can weigh in with some absolutely biased opinion to see if it helps! :)

Advances in bullet design/construction/implementation over the last three (?) decades and probably especially over the last decade or so... means probably anything from .243 Win and upwards will work well enough for almost everything short of moose/great bears/bison... and maybe anything from .25-'06 Rem upwards (with judicious shots) to add moose into that mix. Around here, folks even use the .223 Rem (where legal) for our tiny whitetail specimens.

IOW, it doesn't take as much of a big honkin' cartridge these days... assuming reasonable bullet selection for the game in question.

That of course shouldn't discourage folks from buying the largest cannon they feel like playing with, though! :)

-Chris
Here's where you really see the green. Short vs long action. Ill look into it. Thanks for taking the time to drop in Chris. Appreciate it.

Icebear & others have spent time in Finland, so they would know better what the Finns call themselves
Finns are ethno-linguistically distinct from the Scandinavian or Nordic peoples of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Iceland. The latter speak closely related Germanic languages and originate in northern Europe. The Finns, on the other hand, speak a Fenno-Ugrian language unrelated to Western languages. They originated in central Asia and migrated to northern and central Europe. The Finns and their language are related to Hungarians, Estonians, and the Sami (Lapp) people. Of course, there has been much mixing of peoples and many, many modern Finns have some Swedish ancestry, as Finland was for centuries part of the Swedish empire. A minority of Finns have Swedish names and speak Swedish as a first language. (Once in the far reaches of Karelia, I was mistaken for a Swede-Finn because I spoke Finnish "with a funny accent.") The Finnish language contains many loan words from Swedish (including many firearms terms). The Finns do consider themselves distinct from the other people of the Nordic region. There is no generic term like Nordic to describe the Finns; they simply call themselves "Suomalaiset." Suomi is, of course, the Finnish name for Finland. The words Finland and Finn are actually of Swedish origin. The meaning is the same as Suomi in Finnish; both mean "swampland." In English, the terms are related to the archaic "fen," a word of Saxon origin also meaning swamp.

Finns are ethno-linguistically distinct from the Scandinavian or Nordic peoples of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Iceland. The latter speak closely related Germanic languages and originate in northern Europe. The Finns, on the other hand, speak a Fenno-Ugrian language unrelated to Western languages. They originated in central Asia and migrated to northern and central Europe. The Finns and their language are related to Hungarians, Estonians, and the Sami (Lapp) people. Of course, there has been much mixing of peoples and many, many modern Finns have some Swedish ancestry, as Finland was for centuries part of the Swedish empire. A minority of Finns have Swedish names and speak Swedish as a first language. (Once in the far reaches of Karelia, I was mistaken for a Swede-Finn because I spoke Finnish "with a funny accent.") The Finnish language contains many loan words from Swedish (including many firearms terms). The Finns do consider themselves distinct from the other people of the Nordic region. There is no generic term like Nordic to describe the Finns; they simply call themselves "Suomalaiset." Suomi is, of course, the Finnish name for Finland. The words Finland and Finn are actually of Swedish origin. The meaning is the same as Suomi in Finnish; both mean "swampland." In English, the terms are related to the archaic "fen," a word of Saxon origin also meaning swamp.
Thanks for the very informative response. I've heard they speak a language unlike any other & that it will twist your tongue trying to pronounce the words!

Very interesting, Icebear, thanks for posting that.

I think I could still draw on something in there to justify chambering a SAKO 85 in 6.5x55 if I were after a long action...

:)

Although given my recently-postulated preference (sorta) for short actions, I think I'd accept that the .260 Rem or the 6.5 Creedmoor would be pretty much same-same. That loses any kind of geographic connection, of course...

-Chris

I think I could still draw on something in there to justify chambering a SAKO 85 in 6.5x55 if I were after a long action...
No need to justify - it's a great-performing cartridge in a high-quality rifle. I'd say that's all the justification anybody needs. I have a Tikka 695 in that caliber. It is very accurate with the right load, and is a delight to shoot because of the smooth action.

Latest posts

Back