• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Helping a neighbor: L579 Carbine resurrection...I hope...

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Thanks mate, looks like this thread must be a working example of edutainment :bigsmile1:

I had to take my 70th anniversary carbine out of the safe for a quick oil change. Just to have an excuse to tinker with her. Maybe a zero check tomorrow at my backyard would ease the pain of separation.

Vlad: Thanks for the interesting posts! It's always nice to see a victim of neglect receive some TLC. It also proves that a Sako in nearly any condition is a valued possession.

Thanks RANE and Tex. There is a sad story involving a human tragedy which caused the neglect, but the story is not for me to tell. Suffice to say the reasons are valid but now my neighbour's father's legacy continues in some part with the resurrection of this carbine. His uncle seemed quite happy with the current state of his late brother's carbine, so mission doubly accomplished. Makes me feel like a bloody saint, no less :madgrin:

Hopefully he shoots a white tail or a moose with the carbine and snaps a photo: if he does, I'll be sure to share it with y'all.

Valdemar......I agree with the others......this was a great little story with great pics and some mighty fine humor from you and us derelicts. I will try to send more updated pics of my 1952 .222 after I get her out for shooting and pics......but I am fearful that this new 50mm scope is gonna need a shim or something to bring the crosshairs down at the 100yd point. Maybe I will just tac-weld a big steel splitting wedge under the scope, adding 5-6 lbs of weight.

dwight

Valdemar...the story & the subject of bringing the old rusty trusty carbine back to life has been
enjoyable to read and follow...Happy ending too - minus the moose!!
Good luck hunting!

RANE

I just read the total thread with my morning coffee and my hats of to Valdemar. It is great to see that a rifle in that condition (with a lot of work) could end up being such a great shooter. The story and pictures were great. Thanks Valdemar you made my day. B

Latest posts

Back