• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Help

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Banned
OK experts.....tell me what I have. Recently bought an L579 .308 that has the numeral 9 off center and not matching the rest of the umbers in size. The foregrip checkering is standard, however the pistol grip checkering outside space is double the size. Did the wood guy make a mistake and cover it up??? This is surely a transition gun from the L57 cause it also has a flat bottom bolt. She's a beauty and unfired. I know many of these older Sakos have anomalies, but this one takes the cake! Your thoughts please. Regards, Rick.

I've never seen an original Sako pad on ebay, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Older Sako pads clearly varied in the composition of the rubber. I have several on frequently used guns that are as "live" as the day they left the factory 40 years ago. I have seen others that have never seen the light of day outside of their factory shipping box that are crumbling. Whenever you see a Sako that originally came with a pad (standard Finnbears and all Deluxes) that has a replacement pad, it is almost always the result of having been equipped with one of the deteriorating kind.

Most people assume that they "crush" from being rested on their butts in gunsafes or racks. This is true, but the only ones that actually crush are the ones with the inferior rubber compound. Those pads will also be "crumbly". Good Sako pads can be stored indefinately sitting on the butt without deforming the pad.

to all you fellow sako owners. I have a older sako 7mm L61r finnbear, I believe it was made in the early 70's or maybe older. Its well taked care of, it has a full stock to the very tip of the barrel . I was wondering what the worth of this rife maybe ? If you have any suggestions of websites what it might be worth it would help me out .

thanks

mc71

mc71, There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum that most likely can help you with your request.I am not one of them ,but I know if you could post pictures and serial number range it would help. Also a detailed description as to condition.Maybe someone will chime in. Good luck. Jim

Mc71- Give us the caliber and the first 2 or 3 digits of the serial number and we can "date" it for you- and welcome to the club. - Misako

thanks gunner and misako the first 3 digits are 643 . 7mm L61r finnbear . it was my fathers, he has had it as long as i have known and im 37yrs . it has a few light sratches on it but thats it still shoots like a champ . im really thankful for your help mc71

I guess I needed to be clearer on the serial#. Put Xs on the last digits something like this 643xx or 643x. If it is a 4 digit serial # it will be much older than a 5. -Mike

Mc71 -

If it's a 5 digit s/n, it was likely made in late 71. If 6 digit s/n, I'd guess more like 89.

Some pics would be nice.

Dick

Hey mc71, Welcome
I have the same rifle SN 641XX. The long action Finnbear in the full stock configuration, as far as my old reference material shows, was made only in 1971. Other info I have received is that only 196 Finnbear Carbine/Mannlicher's were manufactured in 7mm Mag. Pictures would be great for further helping with value. Also, does it have original scope rings? Does it have a scope and if so, what manufacture? I will describe my Sako for you for comparison.
Rich chocolate brown wood with gloss finish
Front sight only
Checkered on top of scope base's and checkered rear top of bolt
Locking lug on rear side of bolt (blued)
Would love to see pictures. Are you looking to sell?
Regards, Will

hey thanks to everybody for the welcome and the help!! sorry misako for the misunderstanding its 643xx. i will try to post some pics tommorrow or monday, at work today and maybe tommorrow . so as soon as i get pics ill post them .
To mcgriff:
it sounds like the one i have is a twin to yours . i believe it has the original scope rings, it has a burris scope i believe its 4x18pwr it also is pretty old but still is in excellent shape . i found a stock that is the same color and design that mine is, but mine goes to the end of the barrel . I uploaded the pic hopefully it works . oh and im not selling my father gave it to me the other day. i have alot of good memories hunting with my dad and the rifle .

thanks again

mc71

Attachments

• 05%5B1%5D.jpg
    05%5B1%5D.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3
MC - No need to appologize for something I did wrong. I find myself doing that more and more. I loved the feeling I got when I gave my boys their first Sakos. A 7mag is about perfect for most of what the average hunter likes to chase or sneak up on. Very easy to load for with a wide range of quality bullets. Look forward to more pics. -Mike

I recently acquired an older Forester 243. We shot 5 different types of ammo through it from 70 grain bullets up to 100 grain. The best group we got was about 6 inches at 100 yards and the worst was over a foot. The gun appears to have been handled and shot very little. Any ideas on what the problem could be or are Sakos just finicky. Also, I have seen comments about Bofors barrels. Can anybody tell me about Bofors and how can I tell if this is what I have.

pmc1111, not typical! Check these things first. Check to see that the magazine is not pinched (out of alignment causing pressure on the receiver),trigger guard screws are tight,scope rings bases etc are secure.It would be a plus if the scope is of known accuracy.If all these things are ok,Give the bore a good cleaning with proper equipment and proceedure,and shoot from a bench with sand bags and I would hope accuracy will improve.Bofors steel was used on many of the older rifle barrels and marked on the right side of the barrel near the receiver.I have heard that Bofors steel may have been used in barrels that were not marked Bofors. This was some problem arising with Sako using the Swedish steel manufacturers name or trademark. Good luck Jim

PMC1111- Sure sounds like a defective scope or mounts that are loose. I had some accuracy problems with a sako once but it was dirty dies that caused it. I suppose a poor crown could cause trouble but I wouldn't think that much. Have you checked that it is chambered for a .243 and not a .244 or a wildcat of some kind? -Misako

Thanks for all the advise, unfortunately I have tried about every suggestion yall have given so far including changing scopes to one I know is good. The only thing I have not done is check to see if it has not been rechambered for a wildcat or something.

PMC1111- May be time to take it to a good qualified gunsmith or let a friend that has a few years of bench shooting experience look at it. Check to see if there is a slight bulge in the muzzle area. That will cause the kind of accuracy problems you are having. What are the markings on the barrel and the serial number on the rifle's reciever?- Mike

PMC -

My experience has been that Sakos are the least finicky rifles of any I've ever worked with. Your experience is troubling to me, but not typical for certain.

Curious about the ammo used... Factory or handloads? On the targets, did the bullets appear to be hitting point on - any evidence of keyholing?

What type scope mounts are you using?

Any chance you have the guard screws too tight? About 40 inch-lbs is what you're looking for with a wood stock.

I would think if the rifle has been rechambered without being marked, comparison of fired brass to unfired would reveal it pretty obviously.

I assume you would have had a good and steady rest for testing, as well as letting another good shooter take a turn?

If the scope and mounts are indeed good, it's hard to imagine any one factor that could produce groups as bad as you describe. It may be that you have some issues that are 'stacking' on each other. Think the previous owner was likely screwing around with it - I'm certain it didn't leave the factory in this shape. If careful and thorough examination doesn't point you in some direction you may need to take it to a good smith to unravel.

One thing about it, it will be easy to see when you make progress.

Best luck, Dick

Back