Help with finish on AIII

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Rick Omohundro, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Rick Omohundro

Rick Omohundro Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    Hello all,
    I have an AIII on which the stock finish turns white/cloudy. I can buff it off with a soft cloth easily but within just a few days it returns. I haven't applied any wax, and not sure it would help. It seems I have read of a cure for such somewhere on the forum but I can't seem to find it. Could someone please point me in the right direction? or anyone have the same problem they have found a "fix" for?
    Thanks for your help in advance,
    Rick

2. Tomball

Tomball Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Search “AIII stock finish”. Should find comments that may help.

I have an A series sticky stock. I left outside last summer one day as here in Houston area, it get rather warm! Afterwards cleaned with a car polish cleaner and then applied a Meguiars carwax. I left outside for the rest of day. Seems to cured it better than before. It has been approx 8 months and I just checked and it is not sticky as before. Feels normal now but the proof will be when the weather warms. There are some other waxes and polymers that will make the surface harder, but I chose not to use if my less aggressive solution worked.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The only permanent fix is to strip & refinish. If it's a safe queen you pull out once in a awhile to drool on, the "wax" thing will suffice. If it is a working rifle, it's a matter of what you want to put up with.

4. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    There are several products which will provide a temporary solution. After a while the stock will go back to how it currently looks. Theses products are wax based and will not penetrate and pull the cloudyness out. Perhaps the finish had been exposed to heat or moisture, then may have been stored in a soft case for extended period of time. Sometimes the finish can do this over time for no particular reason. It may have just been poorly mixed prior to the application and now it’s showing up. Or perhaps the product was old and past it’s shelf life when applied.

Not sure how long you’ve owned the rifle. In other words, when did you notice this, or is it a more recent purchase?

Refinishing is really the only way to achieve 100% results. Many good products for that too. I use Pro Custom oil and Larry Brace’s method. I’ve done at least 100 guns of all configurations and grades over 30 years. The results are awesome and everlasting. You can do gloss or matte, or something in between. I encourage you to give it a try, it’s really very hard to mess this up. Message me if you like and I’ll provide the steps. Look at my posting in the short action section, titled Frankenvixen. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I had a Sako Super 74 which had the same problem. I buffed it several times over a period of months and it eventually stopped turning white, so there may be hope. I'm not at all sure what causes this phenomenon, but it seems to have occurred only in the mid-1970's.

I'm not sure if it would help in the long term, but Ballistol is a universal product which is good for both wood and metal and also serves as a lubricant. Get some Ballistol and wipe down your stock using it sparingly and buff off any surplus. This certainly won't hurt and might help.

6. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Sean,

I searched the short actions forum but couldn't find that Frankenvixen post. I'm planing a short action build and a really very hard to mess up finishing process sounds very interesting.

I'll PM you.

Thanks
    Chris

7. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hmmm,

Sorry it’s actually Franken-vixen. It’s still there near the bottom of page 1. It’s just a few photos of a recent project I finished using Larry Brace’s method. I see you’ve massaged me. I’ll respond with a detailed description later this evening. I also have photos of other recent work. I did a Savage/Anschutz 141 and an SKB 200e side by side recently. Very pleased with both.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  8. Rick Omohundro

Rick Omohundro Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    Thanks everyone for the responses. The rifle is a recent aquisition, Ive only had it about a year. Middle Tennessee in the winter time is anything but dry.
    The Ballistol is what I thought I remembered from reading here, but couldn't remember the name. I have re-finished several stocks in the past but I don't think I want to tackle this one as it's in pretty good shape otherwise. I am anxious to take a look at the franken-vixen thread as I'm always open to learning new things about wood finishing, not only on firearms. I from time to time, when I can make the time, build quality keepsake boxes for the women in the family. I have been using French polish, but it has it's downfalls around perfume and such.
    Thanks all,
    Rick

9. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You could try rubbing the stock with turpentine or mineral spirits. Depending on what the finish is and what is causing the clouding, a mild solvent might penetrate and improve the situation. No guarantee, but it's easy, it sometimes works, and if it dulls the finish it can easily be restored with polish. Try it on a small area first. You could also try Watco Rejuvenating Oil. Not sure how that would work as I don't know if the A series rifles used a natural or synthetic finish. It works great on my dining room table. and I've used it on old military rifles.

Chris Anderson likes this.
  10. Chris Anderson

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Hey icebear,

I'm starting to clean up some of my firearms and this Watco oil sounds like it might make cleaning / sprucing up the stocks easier. Does the fresh lemon scent fade way eventually?

I like the scent of lemons but I associate that with lemon meringue pie and it would seem a little weird coming from my rifle o_O

Thanks
    Chris

11. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    As far as I know Watco Rejuvenating Oil is not a citrus product and does not have a lemon scent. It is a standard product for light restoration of high-quality oil-finished furniture. It was recommended to me by a custom furniture maker. I am not the best person to comment on scents because my sense of smell has become quite poor - possibly the result of a career that involved tropical diseases and exotic medications.

Watco products are popular and widely distributed. Check out their website for a description of the rejuvenating oil. I got my most recent can of Watco finish at my friendly local Ace Hardware.

12. Chris Anderson

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Thanks icebear I'll give that a try.