• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions Help need to confirm the year of manufacture L46

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Shooter

Hello, everyone.
My Christmas present arrived 2 months early. I found a Sako L46 for sale that has been previously owned by a gun collector. The gun has been used only a few times, and its condition is unbelievably good. I've been trying to determine if it was manufactured in 1964. I haven't been able to confirm this, so could I get some help from the wisest members here. The serial number is 80546. Thank you in advance for your responses, and here are a couple of pictures of the item itself. Also, thank you for allowing me to join the forum; I'm a new member from Finland, close to the Riihimäki factory.

Attachments

• IMG_5287.jpg
    IMG_5287.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5290.jpg
    IMG_5290.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5291.jpg
    IMG_5291.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5292.jpg
    IMG_5292.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5296.jpg
    IMG_5296.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 32
That serial number is consistent with the batch of L46's which were manufactured in the 1960's after the successor model (the L461) had been introduced in 1961. Curiously, the magazine is an engraved one for a Deluxe model, but the rifle stock is the Standard configuration.

You can get the exact date of its inspection by clicking on the link "Factory Records" at the top of this page and ordering a search.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I just checked that the serial number of my gun is not on the list where I could get the information. Or maybe I didn't quite understand it the way I was supposed to.

I would already be satisfied with the year of manufacture

It would be included in the records with the L461's with similar serial numbers. Go ahead an submit your request if you wish.

Hello and Welcome to the club!
Here is an idea…could you possibly go to the factory for a tour or visitors center and inquire that information.
The history shows that these 80000 numbered rifles were a “last batch effort” to market some remaining L46 barreled actions..my guess would be 63 or 64.

Olisiko tässä listassa Sinun aseen numero? https://waffenlager.net/rifles/sako_l46_m4.html
I'm greatly handicapped by not being able to accurately translate the information on this website, but it appears that some of the information is in conflict with the factory records. As we know, Sako did NOT number their production in chronological order, so the table purporting to divide the serial number neatly into year of production is grossly misleading. The example shown, L46 SN 56282 appears to be listed as being made in 1964. The factory records show it was inspected in March of 1962.

Perhaps one of our members who is much more familiar with Finnish can translate some of the relevant information contained on the site.

I'm greatly handicapped by not being able to accurately translate the information on this website, but it appears that some of the information is in conflict with the factory records. As we know, Sako did NOT number their production in chronological order, so the table purporting to divide the serial number neatly into year of production is grossly misleading. The example shown, L46 SN 56282 appears to be listed as being made in 1964. The factory records show it was inspected in March of 1962.

Perhaps one of our members who is much more familiar with Finnish can translate some of the relevant information contained on the site.
When I looked at the link a Finnish to English translation option appeared in the upper right corner of my screen. I clicked on it & text turned to English.

When I looked at the link a Finnish to English translation option appeared in the upper right corner of my screen. I clicked on it & text turned to English.
Thanks for that tip! When I switched to a newer web program the translation option popped up. Yes, it appears that someone has attempted to neatly and inaccurately conflate serial numbers with year of production. However, there is some interesting information on the site, some of it partially or mostly true.

Try this. Let me know if it works.
I downloaded your attachment to my computer, but when I try to print it's all on one sheet of paper & the print function doesn't work. Thanks anyway. I have it on my computer now, so I can peruse it when I want, if I could just read Finnish! English somehow got lost!

Thanks for all the replies. Tomorrow I will get the Arma Fennica Sako weapons 1920-2000 book in my hands. I believe it gives the last information about the weapon.

Arma Fennica is an excellent resource, not just on Sakos but on other Finnish-made arms as well. However, like any human effort, it contains some errors and gaps in information regarding Sakos.

I agree. The Arma Fennica books are a fantastic resource for collectors of Finnish arms, but they do contain errors and, especially, omissions. The production date charts are widely distributed and the information probably originated with the Sako factory. Maybe they relate to the date when the receivers were stamped rather than when they were actually built and shipped as complete rifles or barreled actions. In any case, they are only a rough guide to when a particular gun might have been built. The date charts for Tikka and others may be more accurate.

I've noticed a lot of photo captions that are not anchored to the pictures, and photos without captions. There are numerous omissions of model variations. Nonetheless, I treasure my half-dozen volumes of Arma Fennica and refer to them all the time.

For collectors of sporting rifles, the reproduced ads are an especially valuable resource, telling us what was available in a given year and a particular market.

It helps a great deal to be able to read Finnish, as not all the books have English chapter summaries and much information is in Finnish only. Online translators are of limited use because they don't typically have firearms terms in their database. I've found this even with the biggest and best of Finnish dictionaries - I've looked up a number of terms in the definitive Suursanakirja and come up empty.

Back