Stock Help Identifying Stock

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Manatee, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Manatee

Manatee Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, I've just joined today - moderators feel free to move the thread if necessary.

I was looking on an auction site, and was curious when I found this nice Sako stock. Unfortunately, this company never seems to know much or have any information about items unless it's specifically a firearm with obvious identifiers.

Nevertheless, I'll attach some images from it and try to touch them up in photoshop so they're a bit more visible, as the images are natively a lower resolution. 1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: After doing some googling, I thought it might be a variant of the 75, but I definitely would like more of a knowledgeable opinion from someone here. I was looking to put an old FN Commercial Mauser DeLuxe in a stock like this, but I don't believe it'll fit if it's a Sako 75 and I don't want to take it to a gunsmith to butcher it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021

2. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Yes. Looks like a 75 Hunter. Others will know if that rifle will fit it.

3. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Agree with Bernies Dad, It does appear to be a 75 stock in my opinion. The checkering and styling definitely is how 75’s were set up. The inlet is unique and will not be suitable for an FN Mauser, without major reconstruct, most reputable smith’s would advise not to even try. The good news is, Mauser inlets (used or new) are typically not difficult to locate. Id definitely be searching for a better candidate. Thanks.

4. Manatee

Manatee Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Thanks guys, I'll pass on the project but might try to scoop it up for collectivity sake, as it's pretty cheap right now. Looking at it now, I think it's clear that it isn't close to a 98 inlet.

If anyone wants to guess an approximate value I'd be curious what people would appraise it at; it does appear to be in pristine condition in the photos.

Appreciate the info! Cheers.

5. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Prices on 75 stocks are all over the board. eBay you’ll see them for $200-$400, other places like Beretta of Midwest Gun Works they’ll be higher. Inlet length is also a determining factor. Collectibility isn’t there, as the market hasn’t dictated 75’s as collectors items, unless it’s a Deluxe in a rare typically small caliber or similar. Unless it’s really cheap I’d recommend thinking twice or three times, before “investing” in this item.

6. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Good Day Mr. Manatee, There are several Sako stocks on e-bay. Compare the topside view to your action & you may find one that is similar or very close. You can also contact the seller for a more detailed view of the action configuration. If you look on "used stocks catagory" I think you may find that "Interarms" stocks & several others use a Mauser action fit or similar that may require minimum inletting. Hope this helps, best of luck! B/T

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  7. Manatee

Manatee Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota

Noted, thanks much.

Will do, appreciate it!