Help Identify the L61R

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Eastview, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Eastview

Eastview Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I am looking at this Sako with the intent of purchasing but I would like more information.
    It is a Sako L61R s/n 9481 in 300 win mag. It is listed in Cabela's gun library and I had it shipped to my store in Washington so I could get my hands on it to decide. It has a hefty price of $1,699.99 and wonder if it is indeed worth that. I will go later this week to look at it and a Bergera Premier Stalker in 300 win Mag. to make my final decision. Both are nice I'm just not sure if I want old school wood or new school carbon fiber. Im leaning to the Sako but the scope on it is maybe a $200-$300 add, what are your thoughts and what can you tell me about the Sako?

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    It’s a very nice rifle in a custom stock. Also appears to a re barrel . It may have an aftermarket trigger as well. This is a very personal decision when purchasing a custom. It appears to be very well done but to be clear it is not an original specimen.

The scope is a Older Leupold but appears to be in nice shape. The scope is worth $175-200. That leaves the rifle at about $1500. The custom stock probably cost at least $1000. + not including the metal work. Look it over very carefully. Customs are a bit of a crap shoot. Best of luck

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Eastview likes this.
  3. Eastview

Eastview Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks for your quick reply Sean. Can you expand on this a little. First what does the serial number tell you, I am assuming the stock is nothing that came on a Sako thus the comment as it being custom, what makes it look like a rebarrel, and then lastly is there a hint that brings you to the aftermarket trigger? Again thank you and if a guy was looking for a nice Sako in win mag 300 that would be worthy of passing down to future generations what and where?

4. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The action is early, most likely from 73. But honestly it matters little because it’s been re-worked. Nothing wrong at all, just not a collectors rifle, in the true form.

The stock is a non original, but a really nice piece of wood with a shadow line and custom butt plate, plus grip cap.

The rifle barrel exhibits non factory stamping on the left side. Again nothing wrong, you just hope the gunsmith knew his stuff. The safety appears to be combined with an aftermarket trigger, but I’d need to see it closer to be sure.

I always ask my self when looking at custom rifles, “why is this rifle for sale”? Maybe it shoots great and there’s no worries. However, it may ( and I want to emphasize -may) have issues.

If I was looking to pass down a Sako in.300 Win Mag, or any Sako for that matter, I’d personally look for an original.

Eastview likes this.
  5. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Found it on GI. Very nice looking rifle in a nice aftermarket stock and aftermarket barrel. Looks like it does either have a trigger shoe on it or an aftermarket trigger. It is old enough it should have a three lug bolt which is a plus. That steel butt plate is going to kiss you. Can be a toss up on these guns not knowing who's barrel it is and who did the work. An older Leopold scope which as said could be worth up to $200. It could shoot lights out or just be a very nice looking wall hanger. Would be nice if you could shoot it first but I don't see that happening. I take it you are looking for a shooter and not a collector? To me the collection value is not there. Good luck.

Eastview likes this.
  6. Eastview

Eastview Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks to both of you for your help. I will have a gun knowledgeable guy with me when I go to look but unless he gives me a giant thumbs up I think I will pass. If I understand Cabelas policy correctly on used guns I have three days to return if I don't like it but I really wanted a shooting collectable Sako. Are they out there for that money? What model should I look for?

7. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    https://www.sakosource.com/

You can get an idea of values here. A shooting collectible is out there. A hunting collectible might be a different story. A little ding here or there can add some stories to the rifle. Guns have been known to get safe dings and don't even get out of the house. If you catch my drift.

Eastview likes this.
  8. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Please be sure of the policy, when Bass Pro took over firearms became an “all sales final, no returns” policy. At least that’s the written policy in Springfield.

Yes, original Sakos which can be shot and which are collectible are out there. Honestly, any vintage rifle in your chosen caliber, it really depends on your needs. I’d strongly suggest looking at lots of photos and read right here to help with your ultimate decision.

Eastview likes this.
  9. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    If you want a long action caliber, the L61R/AIII/AV series guns are just fine for a collectible shooter. An older L61R is probably the most collectible, but is also likely to come with a hardened and squashed pad. In an L61R, the .264 and .300 Win Mag and the .300 H&H command a premium for rarity IF they are in collectible condition. If a gun is marked ".300 Magnum," it's a .300 H&H, as Sako built those rifles before the .300 Win Mag was widely distributed. The most common calibers are 30-06, .270, and 7mm Remington Magnum. You should be able to find any of the more common calibers in respectable condition for under a grand.

Eastview and Sean Hodges like this.
  10. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa

Eastview likes this.
  11. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Totally agree, typo on my part.

Eastview likes this.
  12. Eastview

Eastview Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Ok, update on this Sako.
    It turns out to be a Keith Segall custom.
    I’m on my way to get it. Took some time to get Cabela’s to drop the price but we came to a good place. In the meantime I picked up a new Christensen Arms Meca Bronze in 300 win mag. Thanks for your assistance.

Sean Hodges and deergoose like this.
  13. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Let's see some photos.

14. Eastview

Eastview Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I haven’t made it in to pick it yet. Not savvy enough to copy the pictures from Cabela’s gun library site but it’s still up there.