• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Pre WW2 help ID M-39 attributes (1944)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

pcunder

Starting my own thread....

Guys , I've never thought about but buying a Sako M-39 Mosin-Nagant until today at a gunshow. They're a bit pricey at $400 as far as mil surp goes but the Finnish workmanship is apparently recognized as superior....even back then.

It's got a 6 digit s/n 242xxx with a mirror bore and 1944 on the barrel. That same serial # looks stamped differently on the receiver....maybe by hand? It has Sako stamp on the barrel and 2 stamps on the stock. The normal gear trademark and another with a 'S' in a circle apparently indicating a re-arsenal mark. The stock's forearm is finger-jointed together. The receiver is hex shaped where the barrel threads in. The sights go to 800m.

It's got a a 2-line import marking on the top of the barrel near the fron sight.
Of course it's chambered in the 7.62x54R cal. The trigger feels fairly light for a military rifle though fairly long and really has a single stage feel to it.

What can you tell me about it. What to look for, what to avoid, etc?

I did not notice if the bolt matched or not. Anything would help

Thanks,

Phil

PS. I shot 1 of these a few months ago but, even thought it was a run of the mill Mosin-Nagant (non-Sako), it shot surprisingly well in an aftermarket stock, with a scope and mil-surp ammo. It's supposed to have 30-06 performance but it did not kick like my -06s. Maybe the extra weight helped as it felt more like a push on my shoulder rather than a punch.

The Club has records on the Sako Mosin M39's from SN 200,001-510,800. You can find out lots of info on it with a Level 2, even if any factory reconditioning was done on it.

Stone,

Thanks for the input. I will probably use these services on Sakos I already own but am impressed that some records on re-arsenalled wartime models may be available...apparently only after 1945.

What I'm really seeking on this M-39 is what should I expect from one that went through the refurbishing process. I.e fully functional but typically with mismatched bolts, stocks, etc...

And maybe a tidbit or 2 about certain importers that brought in particularly nice samples or others that were relegated to battlefield leftovers... Anyway, I'm such a newbie at this I don't know where to start.

Thanks again...
Phil

Nope, the Club's factory records on the Sako Mosins go all the way back to 28-30 Model in 1934. Sako never made a Mosin -- all Sako Mosins were factory recondition jobs, often with new barrels or whatever was needed. I know next to nothing about Mosins but the factory records appear to contain a great deal of information.

First, most all M39's have mismatched numbers. These rifles were re-arsenaled enmass. There was no effort to keep parts together. The S stamp on the barrel means it actually was re-issued and went back into service. Import marks are common as very few found there way to the US before attempts were made to import them in quantity for sale in the local market. I have 3 of them, 2 issued and one that was fully re-arsenaled and went into the Finnish armory. The Finns finally released them several years back and I was lucky to snag one. Condition is everything, complete, no modifications, no extra holes. Pics would help, your description is pretty std for an issued rifle.

Thx for the input, guys. Since mine needs to shoot and I plan on dropping it into a modern stock with optics (at least temporarily), the stock is less important though would be for collectibility...

Does this round headspace on the rim or at the shoulder like most bottleneck cartridges? I guess if it went thru the Sako arsenal, it should me fine....but with my face being right next to the chamber when it goes bang, it always gives me pause.

Though it'll probably never happen, I have envisioned a shoot-off between 3 of the best old military bolt rifles; a 1903 Springfield (mid-30s era), a mint 1909 Arg Mauser (#A0027), and a re-arsenaled Sako-Nagant.

I would think if the shooter is capable, the best ammo hand loaded for that rifle, shooting irons, I would bet on the Sako M39. They were bolted up in a solid rest after being rebuilt and had to shoot a 3 shot group slightly bigger than MOA with military issued ammo. It they failed they were given back to be repaired and not issued until they could pass. I don't have an original 98 Mauser but I do have a '03 Springfield and a nice original M1 Garand(Winchester) and the Sako will easily out shoot them with their best loads. All rimmed cases are "designed" to headspace off the rim, mine are loaded to headspace off the shoulder which requires a little more effort.

Picture of the fateful moment when one of my M39's changed ownership. My son was 13 at the time and I told him if he could put 3 shots on a 9" paper plate at 250 yards he could have that rifle. His 3 shot group measured 3.7", that rifle lives in Asheboro North Carolina now.

Guns4sale051209_017.jpg

Cmjr,

That's 1 fine looking rifle...that stock is great for a military rifle. Sounds like a great son also. That's pretty good shooting...but it sounded like you wanted to give it to him. (Lol) I'm sure you're proud of him and it's in good hands for another generation. Looks like a great setup off the back porch.

So, you reload this cartridge? I thought it was all Berdan primered ammo... Did you check your headspace, presumably at the rim, before buying/shooting? Is there a common h/s gauge for rimmed cartridges or ?...

I'm interested to hear how you headspace off the shoulder.

So far, I'm not that impressed with my '09 Mauser but no hand loads...yet. I haven't shot the '03 Springfield yet but my brother-in-law shot it in ROTC and later in different Air Force matches...so I'm pretty sure it's no slouch.

Phil

I reload a Hornady SST 150gr bullet and privi brass in my rifle. After fireforming a round I'm careful not to push the shoulder back when resizing. I determine that by pulling the decapper/expander button from the die. You can tell when you hit the shoulder, from that point I set my FL die. Surprisingly with the M39 and the RCBS dies I use I get almost a full stroke before it hits. When the loads get to where your relying on the camming action to to close I'll resize with a little bump. As for checking headspace I used a piece of plasti-gauge when I got them, all 3 were right at 5thou. You can also use scotch tape but frankly I've never heard of a M39 having excessive headspace, a Mosin M91-30 sure but not a M39.

if you are going to buy a mosin and want quality and collectability the m28 is the one . m39 is second choice . $400 for the m39 is in line with current prices and definitely going up . look at the new batch at www.classic firearms.com . best place to shop for mosins in the south east .

The Club has records on the Sako Mosin M39's from SN 200,001-510,800. You can find out lots of info on it with a Level 2, even if any factory reconditioning was done on it.
Hi mate,
I'm a new member and have a couple of SAKO M39s, I was wondering where I could find the records you speak of as it would be great to see the history of my rifles.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back