Hello from Northern Michigan.

2. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Welcome Woody.
    I spent several summers in the U.P. when I was a youngster in the 1960s.
    My dad taught summer school in Marquette.
    Beautiful country, the sound of the wind in the white pine, and the smell.
    I will never forget it.
    Where are you near?
    Extremely knowledgeable and civil group here.
    Kax

3. Woody3106

Woody3106 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Actually I am located in the tip of the Thumb. (Caseville). My favorite part of MI is the Keweenaw. I have spent a lot of time in that area. I just recently retired so I have time to enjoy what I really like to do. I enjoy woodworking, hunting and target shooting. I grew up in Portland IN.

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I visited there once, when I was in high school. My parents took us up the Michigan shore in their sailboat and we spent a night in Caseville. Quite nice, as I recall, but that was a long time ago so memory is vague. I seem to recall hanging out with some friendly local kids who had come out to the pier to drink whiskey away from prying eyes.

I've also been to the Keweenaw, when I was a small child. It was a road trip with my parents to Copper Harbor, etc. We stopped at Tahquamenon Falls, which I revisited many years later on a road trip of my own. I grew up in southeastern Michigan but haven't been back in many years.

I wonder if the "Finlanders" in northern Michigan favor Sako rifles for hunting.

Welcome to Sako World.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'm not sure about that, but expatriate Finns from that area sent North American Whitetails back to Finland in the early years of the 20th Century. Finland now boasts a population of some 20,000 Whitetails as I recall, and they grow heavy with some impressive antlers, too.

6. Woody3106

Woody3106 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    That is still going on. Now the adults have started a summer festival called "Cheeseburger". It lasts 10 days and for us locals we try to stay clear of town. They have a parade on a Wed. evening that pulls 150,000 people in the small town. I have no idea how much alcohol they go through in that 10 days.

I am just fascinated by the mining history in the Keweenaw. NASA even launched a small number of rockets from out near the tip for exploring the earths atmosphere.

7. Woody3106

Woody3106 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I did not know that.

I joined this forum in hopes of finding how to disassemble, clean and reassemble the bolt on my 70's era Finnbear 30-06. Where is the best place to start looking?

Woody3106

8. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I too am retired...great isn't it?
    In 69 my dad took my sister and I to Isle Royale that is certainly a highlight for any trip to Keweenaw county.
    The U.P. was my first introduction to Cornish pasties, a favorite and practical lunch for the miners in the "copper country". The Cornish were skilled tin miners who were the backbone of the early copper mines.
    The last time I was there was in 87 for the North American BMW motorcycle rally in Escanaba, great riding on great roads in a beautuful landscape.
    What Sakos do you own and what do you like to hunt?
    Pictures are always appreciated.
    You can type in"disassemble bolt" after clicking on the little magnifying glass near the top right of the screen.

9. Woody3106

Woody3106 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I was on Isle Royale in 1973. I could have stayed there forever. I am fascinated with the past mining that went on there and the town of Calumet. The other thing that I discovered on my last trip (2011) is the ice hockey history of the area. I took my youngest son to a summer hockey camp at Michigan Tech and spent the week looking up hockey rinks. The first indoor game was played in Calumet and the building is still there, still having hockey games.

I own a Sako Finnbear 30-06. I purchased the gun from a young man that had just come home from the Army. He bought it in Germany. These days I hunt Whitetail, and wild hogs in Tx. Where I live it is fantastic waterfowl hunting, but these days a wood fire in the wood shop is more inviting. I attached a pic of the S/N. I found some instructions that I will try and see if that does the trick.

What did you do before retirement?

Attached Files: