1. VonBoski

VonBoski Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Hi, My name is Don and I just purchased my first (of likely many) Sako rifle. I'm in Alberta, Canada and recently just shot my first deer!

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Welcome! Tell us what kind of Sako you just bought.

3. VonBoski

VonBoski Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    I just bought an A7 Roughtech Pro in 7mm. I think I'm going the route of Talley for my rings but am still shopping around at this point.

4. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hi Don,

I did a one piece Talley pic rail, 0 MOA, then did Warne Mountain Tech 30 MM rings, on my A7. Topped it with a 3-18x44 Leupold VX-6 CDS. Couldn’t be happier with this setup.

5. VonBoski

VonBoski Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Hey thanks for the tip, I heard about some issues where the shell would return to the chamber with some set ups so I've been looking for the best option to avoid that.

6. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I’ve read that issue as well, my set up has never had an issue with ejection, so I personally cannot speak to that. This is the third and last mount system I’ve utilized on this rifle. I’m completely satisfied with performance and aesthetics.

7. VonBoski

VonBoski Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Thanks for the tips, I took your advice on the one piece Talley Pic rail. Still deciding on the optic for her so I'll figure that one out in a bit but Warne products seem a little tough to locate here north of the border.

8. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just a heads up on the A7. DON'T top load the magazine through the action port like they say you can. Take the mag out & slide the rounds in from the front of the mag. If you top load & push the rounds through the magazine lips they will spread out & eventually your mag will spew all the rounds out when you open the bolt to eject a fired case. Not fun when you need that second shot!!

9. VonBoski

VonBoski Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Hey thanks! I read that it was possible but never understood why one would do that with the detachable mag option anyways. There's a lot of truck driving when chasing white tail and mulies out here so the detachable mag was a must when I was shopping for a new rifle.

10. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    You should be able to order direct from Warne’s website. I’m pretty sure they will ship rings to Canada. Shouldn’t be restricted.

Also, agree with Paulson, lips will bend out if top loaded frequently. They can be bent back, but I don’t do it anymore, and I’ve bought two extra magazines for the convenience of magazine change instead of reloading in the field.

11. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I generally prefer a fixed box magazine over the detachable style. However, in jurisdictions which prohibit a "loaded gun" when in a vehicle and interpret a loaded magazine (either integral or inserted in the gun) to be a "loaded gun", the detachable magazine can be popped out and stored in the pocket to keep you legal, then inserted whenever appropriate.