1. four4bman

four4bman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    I have an Browning Sako in 308 Win circa 1969. I hope those are allowed here. If not, please tell me.

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM

2. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Welcome Four4. Your Sako action Browning is certainly welcome here. We even have a section titled Other Firearms Built on Sako Actions where you might be surprised by the number of members interested in the numerous other rifles made on Sako actions. Post a few pictures of your 308 and tell us a little about it.

four4bman likes this.
  3. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Welcome four4bman.

I've always thought Browning made high quality firearms but until I joined this forum I didn't know they had used Sako actions on some of their rifles.

ChrisA

four4bman likes this.
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Browning never had a manufacturing plant & never made anything. They subcontracted the manufacturing of ALL of the firearms they ever marketed. The Browning rifles made with the Sako actions were built by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium. The current Browning firearms are made in Japan by Miroku, which also makes the Winchester 1886 & High Wall rifles. The Winchesters are imported by BACO, which is the Browning Arms Company. Brand names are just marketing tools anymore & the manufacturing of firearms is becoming more consolidated into fewer & fewer hands.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 2:23 PM
    four4bman and douglastwo like this.
  5. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Being interested in the early Winchesters, Marlins, Colts and others, I'd like to mention that Browning did, between 1878 and about 1880, design, manufacture and sell approximately 600 single shot rifles. But like Paulson said, Browning certainly did not have a manufacturing plant as we think of them. John M. Browning and two of his brothers (Ed and Matthew) had a hardware store in Utah and they built the 600 rifles in their backroom shop using mostly hand tools they designed and made. They were doing business under the name of Browning Brothers. They stopped production of their single shot in the very early 1880's, and John Browning begin in earnest completing his design of the 1886 lever action tubular magazine centerfire. In 1883 Browning sold the rights to manufacture and sell these early rifles to Winchester thus starting a long lasting relationship with Winchester.

four4bman likes this.
  6. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    And their corporate headquarters is located 63 miles up the road, in Mountain Green, Utah.

four4bman likes this.
  7. four4bman

four4bman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks, douglastwo. Nice to know of a loyal following of the Browning Sako.

8. four4bman

four4bman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    They do for production guns. I've been quite happy with my small collection of Browning arms. Their custom shop is hard to beat.

9. four4bman

four4bman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    I like Utah. I was passing through there going to California on a business trip back in March; short layover at Salt Lake City airport.

10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The same is true of famous brands like Weatherby and Charles Daly. Even manufacturers like Remington often market guns made by others, like the Remington 798 and 799, made by Zastava. And as far as I know, "Winchester" hasn't had an actual firearms manufacturing facility for many years. Proprietary guns built by contractors have been sold under the name of large retailers like Sears (or their brand J.C. Higgins), Wards, and others for many years.

But it is certainly true that the Browning brand on a firearm has always indicated a piece that was toward the upper end of quality and price among mass manufactured firearms.

four4bman likes this.