Hello to all from Upper Michigan.

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Lars Pyykkønen, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Lars Pyykkønen

Lars Pyykkønen Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I would not consider myself a collector. I do have a few Sako's. They are used to hunt. I heard this was the place for some good Sako knowledge.

2. Lars Pyykkønen

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    o_O

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Tell us a little more about your Sakos & what you hunt. Pics are always welcome. Been to the UP. Flew out of Houghton to Isle Royale years ago. Great place!

4. Lars Pyykkønen

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Ahh yes, the least visited National Park.

The U.P. is a gorgeous area. It's been a great place to be during this Covid19 stuff. This summer felt like half the state of Ohio moved up here.

As far as my Sakos

Two VL63, Finnwolfs, one with smooth magazine the other is older and coffin top magazine. Both in .308
    An early .300 Win. Mag. w/Bofors stamp. serial # 38,xxx, L61R
    A L61R in .270, late sixties, three lug bolt, no Bofors stamp
    A L61R in 7mm about 1972, a transition year I'm told.
    An AV deluxe in .300 Wthby.

I still miss the 6.5x55 Swede I sold 12 years ago. I would love to find a good clean one. Not a Barretta.

Here we hunt whitetail and black bear. A buddy of mine has a cabin in NW Montana. We hunt elk and mule deer there every couple years.
    I've hunted pronghorn in Colorado and Moose in Northern Ontario. I hope to keep adding to the list.

northernlights likes this.
  5. Lars Pyykkønen

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    IMG_3074.jpg These are probably the prettiest of the bunch. Not particularly rare or collectable, just hunting guns that shoot well.

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's a fairly high number to have a Bofors stamp, but as we are keenly aware, Sako skipped around erratically with their serial numbers. I wonder if it has the square tang floorplate and "s" shaped floorplate release; also wonder if it has the open-centered stock crossbolt nut? These features are usually found on rifles with Bofors-marked barrels, but not always since Sako mixed-and-matched with its parts depending on what was pulled out of the parts bin.

By the way, welcome! Your name appears to be Finnish. Finnish ex-pats from the Upper Midwest sent whitetails back to Finland early in the 20th Century. An excellent and huntable heard of whitetails exists in Finland today from this seed.

7. Lars Pyykkønen

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thank You.
    I wasn't aware of that.

The Keweenaw Peninsula saw the great migration during the late 1800's. Hundreds of Finns came over to work in the mines and for the lumber companies. Most expected to return but few actually did. There was a TV show up here that ran for over 50 years and it was in Finnish. There is still a great number of folks my parents age that speak Finnish or Yooper-Finn. Suomi College is here and towns with Finnish names like Nisula are here. There are a lot of Finnish Flags flying here all year around. My cousins speak and write the language. They also travel to Finland every few years.

I will have to take this opportunity to know my guns better. I will try to answer those questions or at least get pictures up here.

8. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Is your 300 WBY factory chambered? The 6.5 Swede is a very scarce chambering here in the U.S. I've been wanting one for years but always seem to be a day late & multiple dollars short. I hiked the entire 60 plus mile length of Isle Royale, as a young lad. 8 days in paradise is how I describe it! Did not see another person the whole time. Absolutely the most memorable outdoor experience I ever had! Saw Moose, Wolves & the Pike fishing on the lakes within the island is indescribable. The fact that no cars are allow on the island will keep it a most special place.

9. Lars Pyykkønen

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Yes, the .300 Wthby. is factory. I'm using a Z5 scope on it. As it get older, I appreciate the extra illumination. The kid hates to shoot it, but he needs a little more meat on his bones.

I'm glad you were able to see some of the wilderness of the UP.

10. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Welcome! Nice wood on that Deluxe.

11. Lars Pyykkønen

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thank You.

What kind of equipment are you right seating in? A C-46?

12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
  13. Lars Pyykkønen

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thank You so much for posting the article. I'll be sure to pass that story on. A lot of folks here, including the kids, will find it interesting.

14. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Lars, welcome to the SCC Forum! You have some very nice rifles. Their hunting stories and photos are most welcome, too!

I have a somewhat similar family heritage to you in the UP. My Scandinavian ancestors came over from Norway and Denmark, not to mine or log but to farm in Minnesota. Then one married a Finn, whose family had come over to work the open pit iron ore mines in northern MN.

I've always said I think the people of MN, WI and the upper Mid-West who are among the nicest people I've ever had the privilege to know. The Norwegians and Danes, anyway; the Finns are a little questionable, and that's a given for the Swedes! That's Minnesota Norwegian humor, boys and girls, but you knew that! ;). The Finns say the same thing about the Norwegians, and of course about the Swedes!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  15. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The photo was taken in a C-130 over the jungle in Liberia in the mid-90's. I was part of a team inspecting the US Embassy in Monrovia during the civil war, and a bunch of us got to drinking a few beers with a crew of ex-USAF mercenaries who were flying food drops for the UN. One thing led to another and the command pilot invited us to go for a ride and see what they did for a living. My boss, an adventurous type who had previously served as Ambassador to Iraq and Yemen, jumped on it and so did I. So at oh-dark-thirty the next morning, there we were at Roberts Field watching the crew preflight a C-130A that was on charter to the UN.The takeoff was pretty funny - there was only one empty seat and the boss and I were each too polite to take it, so we both stood up, facing each other like straphangers on the New York subway. We flew for an hour or two into the interior until we reached the target village. The load was several tons of bagged rice. Parachutes were not used; the bags were heavy enough that very few of them broke. The drop run was pretty exciting. Ever seen a C-130 in slow flight? Nose up, flaps down, hanging on the props with the engines screaming flat out - not your everyday milk run. Airspeed was about 60 knots if I recall correctly. They had the drop so carefully calculated that the airspeed balanced the wind resistance and the bags dropped vertically. The bags were on pallets but not secured. The entire load was held in place with a single heavy nylon strap, and the loadmaster, clipped into a harness, was standing by the rear door with a giant Bowie knife. On a signal from the copilot, he cut the strap and the load started sliding out the rear doors. Meanwhile I was at the front of the cargo bay, wrapped around a stanchion with a Nikon in my hand, frantically taking pictures of the operation. The last shot is fantastic - you are looking through the open cargo doors at the huts in the village, with bags of rice flying through the air and the villagers rushing to pick up the bags that had already landed. Unfortunately I don't have a digital copy to post. Anyway after the drop the pilot straightened up the aircraft, pointed the nose toward Monrovia, and invited me to fly the plane home from the copilot's seat. (It had been mentioned during the previous evening's beer drinking that I was a licensed pilot.) He gave me course headings and the occasional correction, but I did actually get to fly the aircraft. The command pilot talked me into the approach pattern and actually only took the controls back when we were on final approach. That was one of my best adventures and it made up for spending a month in Monrovia with a checkpoint manned by Nigerian peacekeepers as the only thing between me and the chaos of a war zone. Being a diplomat is not all striped pants and cocktail parties!

16. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Icebear, I have wondered about that right seat photo, too. Thanks for sharing the story!

IIRC from somewhere, don't you have some time at the helm of a sailboat in the South Pacific, too? Care to share another story???

"Nose up, flaps down, hanging on the prop(s) with the engine(s) screaming flat out..."
    I thought you were flying a Super Cub in Alaska there for a second!

Now retired with countless Sakos....

An adventurous life is a life well lived!

I hope you have grandkids and keep them on the edge of their seats telling them about your adventures. More...tell us one more, Grampa!

17. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You're welcome. My pleasure.
    That did happen, although I don't recall mentioning it on this forum. I spent a lot of growing-up time on my father's Norwegian-built 36' wooden sloop. This was, shall we say, a mixed experience for a teenager who might have preferred to spend more time with his peer group - but the skills gained came in handy later in life. I'm actually only an adequate helmsman, but I shine on the foredeck. In certain times and places, I was as good a jib man as any and better than most. There's a story about that...
    As a writer, one is always striving for the perfect, evocative sentence. That's one of my best.
    I could count them, I just prefer not to. Especially if we include the 1924-1976 military bolt guns.
    I couldn't agree more. My childhood idol was the adventurer/travel writer Richard Halliburton. I set out to see the world and have adventures - and I claim at least modest success. Sometimes I think of the ski racer's T-shirt motto, "Faster, faster...Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Ironically, despite a couple of medals I have never really overcome my fear on the ski hill - but it's fun to try. On the other hand, give me a Scuba tank and an underwater camera and I am pathologically incapable of fear.
    I've never married and don't have kids or grandkids - but I have nieces, and they have kids, and I will pass along what I can.
    Reminds me of my dive buddy's girlfriend, sitting in the saloon of a dive boat late at night, "Bob, tell us a story!" I have a few. I've been charged by a rhino, chased by an elephant, been treated to a full-on threat display by a very large shark, chased jaguars through the jungles of Central America with a .357 Magnum - and I'm still around to tell about it, so I must either be doing something right or be the luckiest guy around - or both.

Cheers.

18. Lars Pyykkønen

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Great story and an equally great and accomplished aircraft. Thanks for taking the time to share.

19. Lars Pyykkønen

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thanks,

A good sense of humor is a must up here. All the groups have gotten along well. I think its the remoteness of the area that creates an atmosphere where everyone looks out for one another. You never pass someone broken down on the road and a elderly neighbor never goes hungry. With that being said, there is a good amount of ribbing between the cultures. The Swedes get the worst of it. I think it has to do with them being the ruling class for so long and the Kingdom of Sweden. They are known to be a bit myopic, more arrogant than other Nordic people and they always come to sauna with swim suits on. So, a little up tight too. Its all in fun.

20. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Swen & Olie jokes are the best "donch ya know".