• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello New Sako owner from upsatae NY

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello,

I just bought my first Sako A L61R Finbear. I believe it is the Dexule model but not sure. It is chambered in 270 Winchester. Is a real beautiful gun. I would like to know what the twist rate is for a Sako 270 if anyone knows.
The SN: is 48687. any other info about it would be great.

Attachments

• 20211128_123209 (2).jpg
    20211128_123209 (2).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211128_123053.jpg
    20211128_123053.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20211128_123109.jpg
    20211128_123109.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 49
It is a Deluxe Model. The twist rate would be what any 270 Win is. Just look up what the SAAMI spec is. Your serial number falls within the range our club is fortunate to have factory records for, so just click on "Factory Records Service" in the black bar at the top of this page & request a records search & you can find out when it was made & who it was shipped to.

Hi Danny
Our gang hunts 5 Ponds Wilderness area nearby.
You have a fine looking rifle and it is likely to shoot as good as it looks.
I am a big.270 fan myself.
Welcome to the club!
Kax

I would like to know what the twist rate is for a Sako 270 if anyone knows.
Danny, you've been reading too many gun-trash magazines lately. The twist rate of your Sako .270 will accurately stabilize any .277" bullet that is practical for hunting. If your rifle happens not to shoot as well as you might expect or you happen to try a batch of ammunition which isn't accurate, I'll guarantee you that the problem has to do with something other than the twist rate.

As far as its twist rate, sleep soundly and do not fret, my son.

Danny, you've been reading too many gun-trash magazines lately. The twist rate of your Sako .270 will accurately stabilize any .277" bullet that is practical for hunting. If your rifle happens not to shoot as well as you might expect or you happen to try a batch of ammunition which isn't accurate, I'll guarantee you that the problem has to do with something other than the twist rate.

As far as its twist rate, sleep soundly and do not fret, my son.
I am An obsessed reloader that is always tinkering with my loads. I bought some bullets that will most likely not shoot very well but I wanted to try them. They are Sierra 175 grain TGK needs a faster twist than standard to stabilize that was why I was asking. I also have 145 Grain Hornady ELDX and 130 Grain Barnes TTSX.

Hi Danny
Our gang hunts 5 Ponds Wilderness area nearby.
You have a fine looking rifle and it is likely to shoot as good as it looks.
I am a big.270 fan myself.
Welcome to the club!
Kax
Thank you it is the best shooting rifle I have pulled to my shoulder to date. I loved it when I got it. After shooting it; it is something more.

Hard to see the engraving on the floor plate, a standard on deluxe . Looks like there is something on the trigger gaurd.
I looked at the floor plate there is no engraving just slick. The trigger guard seems to have "Dunu" poorly scratched on it. Not sure what that is; maybe the last name of an old owner. I did find that someone had replaced the trigger in it with a Timmy trigger. I'm sure this decreased the value of it as a collector's item but I intend to use the gun. I more than love the way it shoots and feels.

I looked at the floor plate there is no engraving just slick. The trigger guard seems to have "Dunu" poorly scratched on it. Not sure what that is; maybe the last name of an old owner. I did find that someone had replaced the trigger in it with a Timmy trigger. I'm sure this decreased the value of it as a collector's item but I intend to use the gun. I more than love the way it shoots and feels.
Nothing more beautiful than an accurate rifle. Those big long 175 Grn pills might shoot well. Just slow them down a few grains and give it a try. I don't have loading data for that bullet but it probably can be found on the net.

I am An obsessed reloader that is always tinkering with my loads. I bought some bullets that will most likely not shoot very well but I wanted to try them. They are Sierra 175 grain TGK needs a faster twist than standard to stabilize that was why I was asking. I also have 145 Grain Hornady ELDX and 130 Grain Barnes TTSX.
The only way to see if the 175 gr. bullets will stabilize is to load some up and shoot them. I give it about 50-50 as that is a very heavy bullet for an American 7mm. The Europeans shoot heavier bullets and, presumably, put a faster twist in their barrels. I have a German custom 7x64 (a ballistic twin to the .270 and only .007 larger bore) that throws 145-150 grain bullets all over the place, but is a tack driver with 170-175. I've never bothered to measure the twist rate; I know what ammo to shoot in it and that's the important thing.

Nothing more beautiful than an accurate rifle. Those big long 175 Grn pills might shoot well. Just slow them down a few grains and give it a try. I don't have loading data for that bullet but it probably can be found on the net.
I am going to do just that I have a buddy with some old Barnes reloading data for a 170 gr going to start out with that and play around with it. I also use QuickLoad and GRT to get a feel for things before hurting myself and I rarely load max. Should be fun to go to the range with.

The only way to see if the 175 gr. bullets will stabilize is to load some up and shoot them. I give it about 50-50 as that is a very heavy bullet for an American 7mm. The Europeans shoot heavier bullets and, presumably, put a faster twist in their barrels. I have a German custom 7x64 (a ballistic twin to the .270 and only .007 larger bore) that throws 145-150 grain bullets all over the place, but is a tack driver with 170-175. I've never bothered to measure the twist rate; I know what ammo to shoot in it and that's the important thing.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to do as you and others have suggested and load some and shoot them.

Hello,

I just bought my first Sako A L61R Finbear. I believe it is the Dexule model but not sure. It is chambered in 270 Winchester. Is a real beautiful gun. I would like to know what the twist rate is for a Sako 270 if anyone knows.
The SN: is 48687. any other info about it would be great.
My Finnbear .270 was bought in '63, and I'm pretty sure it has a 1/10" twist. I remember checking at the time..

Back