Hello, I am another new member.

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Thunder, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Thunder

Thunder Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    I have owned a pair of mannlicher stocked Sakos in .375 H&H for the last 36 or so years. One of them has never even been fired yet. I did not start out wanting a pair, but my guardian Angel doesn't much care about my wants. I got the first one for many reasons, the primary one being that everything between the poles even close to my longitude will fall to the H&H. I proved that in '86 on a wild Russian Boar hunt. A very old, big, and mean pure bred Silverado Russian not the feral pigs. I shot him as he ran right to left about 110 yards out. He got slammed down into the dirt as if a freight train had t'boned him. Guide said, " Peter, that was a perfect shot, great shooting man! ". Then the old boar got up, turned to face the scrub oak he had burst out from, shook the dirt off, and looked in my direction. Now he was not running and my second shot was a repeat of the first, on his other side and this time he stayed down. Walking up to him we heard his teeth slapping together. The guide took my rifle, handed me my .454 Casull and I finished off at 20 yards. What the he'll went wrong was all I could think. Post mortem revealed my mistake. I was shooting 300 gr. Winchester Silvertips, recommended to me by a PH named Farnsworth. He said they were poison on lions in Africa and would be fine for boar. I was shooting using the guns open sights, the 1.5-5 Leopold didn't come in time. My "perfect" shot was spot on left to right, but just a tiny bit too high. The boars gristle plate goes down quite a bit as it deals over the shoulders. His near side plate stopped that Silvertip cold and it spread out perfectly to just under 1 inch diameter and held together. The owner of this game ranch saw my rifle and asked if I'd like to sell it. Turns out he goes to Africa in the summer and guides there also. I said no, but I can order one for him as I had a gunsmith business in my industrial job shop. He said great and how much. I told him I didn't want money, but I would trade him for either one of his private land elk hints in NM or a bear hunt in Montana. He said I could choose either one. Well guess what, he did not stop by to pick up the gun. And I now have his and her Sakos. But the her in that equation has a completely different mind set about the entire affair. Well that is quite enough for an intro. I have more war stories, like a rattle snake bite fly fishing the Madison River. Some other time maybe. I look forward to meeting you all. Best regards, Peter

Rogan Kinnear and mlesh like this.

2. Thunder

Thunder Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    P.S. Darn spell completer thinks it knows better than I what should be printed here, my apologies for the many typos.

3. RifleNutPPC

RifleNutPPC Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Hi Peter,
    Great to have you! Very interesting that you got to hunt the Russian boar. I have never shot the 375 H&H as I lean more toward the smaller bores, but have read that it's plenty powerful enough for almost anything, even the African game. Those boars must be amazing tough to stop a 300 gr. bullet! Thanks for the story!
    Regards,
    John

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  4. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    It's amazing what that a boars shoulder will stop! The is for the great story. Love to see some pics!