• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello, from the Mogollon Highlands of Central AZ

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

AZLaw1987

Not a "new" new member, but realized I'd never posted an intro. First Sako was a Forester in .222, bought used in the mid-'70s and, later, stupidly traded for another firearm that I don't even remember. Current Sako is an L61R, .30-'06, ser#20,XXX/"Bofors" marked, that has helped bring two elk to the larder. In the middle of a stock replacement project for it w/a McMillan Hunter's Edge stock. Looking forward to my finished version of an Arizona stalking rifle. L61R L side (2).JPG

"Forester" denotes a medium action size on a Sako, which could be a L57, L579, or AII. None of those models was chambered for the 222 Rem. The L46, L461, & AI, which are sometimes referred to as a "Vixen", is the small action Sako that you are probably remembering as your 222. If it was from the mid-70's it was a L461. The rifle you have pictured doesn't appear to have a stock that matches any L61R with a Bofors barrel that I can recall. The ebony forend tip may have been added or it could be a custom stock. More pics or info could help determine what you have. Welcome to the club.

PHEW! My email client abbreviated that to Hello, from the Mogollon High... and at first glance I read that as Hello, from the Mongolian High... o_O and my first thought was "boy the Sako Collectors Club forum pulls members from all over the planet ;)

AZLaw1987. Welcome to the SCC forum! You'll find lots of knowledgeable Sako / good rifle shooters here so don't be bashful.

Thanks

Bofors.jpg Finnbear.jpg Forend cap.jpg Pistol grip cap.jpg Recoil pad.jpg
"Forester" denotes a medium action size on a Sako, which could be a L57, L579, or AII. None of those models was chambered for the 222 Rem. The L46, L461, & AI, which are sometimes referred to as a "Vixen", is the small action Sako that you are probably remembering as your 222. If it was from the mid-70's it was a L461. The rifle you have pictured doesn't appear to have a stock that matches any L61R with a Bofors barrel that I can recall. The ebony forend tip may have been added or it could be a custom stock. More pics or info could help determine what you have. Welcome to the club.

Thanks for the info, paulsonconstruction...obviously, you're right about that. Had Forester on my mind when I should have typed Vixen....I'm definitely not as knowledgeable about Sakos as I'd like to be, but that .222 cartridge was just right for woodchucks. The L61R pictured is wearing an original factory stock. My photography skills don't do it justice and are as lacking as my knowledge of Sako models, but here are some additional photos. Pardon the excessive flash on the recoil pad shot.

Your rifle appears to be in great shape. Even the recoil pad doesn't seem to have suffered the "crumbling" effect many from that era do. From the pics I think your stock was factory, but someone added the forend tip & the wood grip cap to it at some time. No standard L61R Sakos had ebony tips & they either had a plastic grip cap or no grip cap at all. Still a nice rifle!! BTW, I like your choice of scopes! The U.S. Patent number on the recoil pad is a real mystery to me!! Maybe others here know more about that.

Back