Hello, from the Mogollon Highlands of Central AZ

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by AZLaw1987, May 5, 2019.

1. AZLaw1987

AZLaw1987 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Not a "new" new member, but realized I'd never posted an intro. First Sako was a Forester in .222, bought used in the mid-'70s and, later, stupidly traded for another firearm that I don't even remember. Current Sako is an L61R, .30-'06, ser#20,XXX/"Bofors" marked, that has helped bring two elk to the larder. In the middle of a stock replacement project for it w/a McMillan Hunter's Edge stock. Looking forward to my finished version of an Arizona stalking rifle. L61R L side (2).JPG

deergoose likes this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    "Forester" denotes a medium action size on a Sako, which could be a L57, L579, or AII. None of those models was chambered for the 222 Rem. The L46, L461, & AI, which are sometimes referred to as a "Vixen", is the small action Sako that you are probably remembering as your 222. If it was from the mid-70's it was a L461. The rifle you have pictured doesn't appear to have a stock that matches any L61R with a Bofors barrel that I can recall. The ebony forend tip may have been added or it could be a custom stock. More pics or info could help determine what you have. Welcome to the club.

AZLaw1987 likes this.
  3. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    PHEW! My email client abbreviated that to Hello, from the Mogollon High... and at first glance I read that as Hello, from the Mongolian High... o_O and my first thought was "boy the Sako Collectors Club forum pulls members from all over the planet ;)

AZLaw1987. Welcome to the SCC forum! You'll find lots of knowledgeable Sako / good rifle shooters here so don't be bashful.

Thanks

AZLaw1987 likes this.
  4. AZLaw1987

AZLaw1987 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Bofors.jpg Finnbear.jpg Forend cap.jpg Pistol grip cap.jpg Recoil pad.jpg
    Thanks for the info, paulsonconstruction...obviously, you're right about that. Had Forester on my mind when I should have typed Vixen....I'm definitely not as knowledgeable about Sakos as I'd like to be, but that .222 cartridge was just right for woodchucks. The L61R pictured is wearing an original factory stock. My photography skills don't do it justice and are as lacking as my knowledge of Sako models, but here are some additional photos. Pardon the excessive flash on the recoil pad shot.

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Your rifle appears to be in great shape. Even the recoil pad doesn't seem to have suffered the "crumbling" effect many from that era do. From the pics I think your stock was factory, but someone added the forend tip & the wood grip cap to it at some time. No standard L61R Sakos had ebony tips & they either had a plastic grip cap or no grip cap at all. Still a nice rifle!! BTW, I like your choice of scopes! The U.S. Patent number on the recoil pad is a real mystery to me!! Maybe others here know more about that.

AZLaw1987 likes this.