• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions hello from Ontario Canada L46

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Albonner

Folks i'm hooked on the L46 sako marlin riihimaki 222. A friend of mine inherited one. I reload all kinds of ammunition so i offered to make him up a nice 222 rounds for recreational target shooting. The perk was i had opportunity to test fire loads and helped him zero in the rifle and scope and as a result i want one.

I have found one locally in CAD funds that appears to be in good condition save and except the furniture being redone and there being one small 3/4" crack in forestock by the mag well. there is no magazine with the rifle

the marlin bulseye is intact but has stain on it. it comes with a bushnell scope affixed already

can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price for an L46 in this condition with no mag 600 CAD which right now is 450 USD
Also am i SOL regarding a mag

i have pics attached

20200814_134952.png 20200814_135015.png 20200814_135028.png 20200814_135040.png 20200814_135050.png 20200814_135058.png 20200814_135109.png

can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price for an L46 600 CAD which right now is 450 USD

i have pics attached

It all depends on your willingness to invest in a rifle that finding a magazine for, would be very difficult and expensive to buy, is worth the investment. You can easily blank the action to use it single shot and enjoy it at that price or you could part it out and make a profit as the action and barrel would probably bring near the purchase price to the right person. The bolt would also bring a fair price. Just my opinions but, if it were me I would just buy it if it is worth the price to YOU, shoot it and start looking for a mag. You might luck out on this site as many of our members are ready and willing to help if they can on locating hard to obtain parts. Good luck with whatever your decision is. Sakojim.

It all depends on your willingness to invest in a rifle that finding a magazine for, would be very difficult and expensive to buy, is worth the investment. You can easily blank the action to use it single shot and enjoy it at that price or you could part it out and make a profit as the action and barrel would probably bring near the purchase price to the right person. The bolt would also bring a fair price. Just my opinions but, if it were me I would just buy it if it is worth the price to YOU, shoot it and start looking for a mag. You might luck out on this site as many of our members are ready and willing to help if they can on locating hard to obtain parts. Good luck with whatever your decision is. Sakojim.
Al,
Looks like you have the Sako Curse, too. My condolences. Welcome to the site guaranteed to frustrate, irritate, and make luscious love to you all at the same time. The Mariln 322 you just acquired should perform beautifully with no worries. Micro-Groove rifling's bad press I have ignored. Mine shoots very well, and is no more demanding in its cleaning regimen than any other barrel I have.
What is being missed here, as I see it, is an easily defendable, opportunity to add another Sako to the harem--one having an accompanying .222 magazine. The price on the one in view is, well, " buy it now!" You can only shoot one at a time, so, in lieu of having now 2 magazines to lose, you will only have 1 to keep track of and the magazine did not cost you$250 US.

The single-shot option is a good fill-in until one of our co-members here has a conscience induced revelation to free up their hoard of swivels, sight protectors, rear sights, and Sako mounts.

As an aside: Sakojim, I need names of those "ready and willing" to loosen the strings.

Luck,
Stephen

Single-shot adapters for the L46 used to be made commercially and are occasionally found on eBay or other Internet sources. I have seen them made from both aluminum and solid plastic resin. Otherwise, it shouldn't be difficult for a gunsmith or machinist to make one - all you need is a chunk of aluminum or plastic bar stock machined to the correct size, with a notch for the mag latch and a bit of a groove in the top to hold the round in place. If you can borrow a mag from someone, even easier because then the maker will have something to copy.

I see that the scope mounts are held in place with set screws. This means there will be scars on top of the scope bases if you remove them. I don't see that as a big deal on a US$450 rifle, but I thought I'd point it out. The scope and mounts add at least $50 or so to the value so in effect you're getting the rifle for 400. The old US-made Bushnell Scope Chief was a decent scope for its time, but I don't know enough about Bushnell scopes to tell if that's US-made or one of the later imports, which are OK optically but not noted for robustness. The refinish looks like a pretty good job, and the wood even has some nice grain in the buttstock. On the whole the rifle sounds like a pretty good deal, assuming the barrel is OK. I'd inspect that carefully, as the issue with the Marlin guns was short barrel life, especially at the throat. If you can get it inspected with a bore scope, that would be the best way to determine barrel condition, but if it's clean at the chamber end you should be able to tell quite a bit just by looking.

Al,
Good advice from Stephen. I have an excellent Sako-Wards Western Field EJN 750 in .243 that is a great deer rifle that I have set aside for my grand daughter to enjoy some day.
Stephen,
I have been known to part with a few desirable items if they go to a good home. I hope that serious collectors with a desire to preserve rare old Sakos have a way to save them for future generations after we are gone.
I believe that high quality items of "Old World" craftsmanship should be preserved as examples for the younger generations. Many rifle manufacturers have ceased operations in the last few years and the ones that are
still in business are producing lower quality products. I am happy to see so many new Sako owners who have learned that the older ones have better quality. These older ones seem to last forever and do grow on you until you
find it difficult to part with them. Good reasons why some of the older ones are valued close to the price of the newer ones is that Sako lovers take exceptional care of them is due to their quality and accuracy. Sakojim.

As others have pointed out, the price is buyer-friendly.

I haven't had any direct experience with the Marlin 322, but own several Marlin 422's. The 422 had a light sporter barrel of blued stainless steel, whereas the 322 has a semi-target barrel of chrome-moly. Both had Marlin's Microgroove rifling. The word got out that the Microgroove rifling was quick to wear and accuracy fleeting. I suspect that accuracy problems were likely more a result of poor cleaning practices than wear. My Marlin 422's have all be quite accurate.

L46 magazines in 222 Rem are fairly easy to find. There were aftermarket ones that a few years ago could be obtained for $75 or less. An original Sako mag can be had for $100 or less. Gunbroker or eBay or here on the forum would be where I would start looking. Good luck!

Last edited:
Single-shot adapters for the L46 used to be made commercially and are occasionally found on eBay or other Internet sources. I have seen them made from both aluminum and solid plastic resin. Otherwise, it shouldn't be difficult for a gunsmith or machinist to make one - all you need is a chunk of aluminum or plastic bar stock machined to the correct size, with a notch for the mag latch and a bit of a groove in the top to hold the round in place. If you can borrow a mag from someone, even easier because then the maker will have something to copy.

I see that the scope mounts are held in place with set screws. This means there will be scars on top of the scope bases if you remove them. I don't see that as a big deal on a US$450 rifle, but I thought I'd point it out. The scope and mounts add at least $50 or so to the value so in effect you're getting the rifle for 400. The old US-made Bushnell Scope Chief was a decent scope for its time, but I don't know enough about Bushnell scopes to tell if that's US-made or one of the later imports, which are OK optically but not noted for robustness. The refinish looks like a pretty good job, and the wood even has some nice grain in the buttstock. On the whole the rifle sounds like a pretty good deal, assuming the barrel is OK. I'd inspect that carefully, as the issue with the Marlin guns was short barrel life, especially at the throat. If you can get it inspected with a bore scope, that would be the best way to determine barrel condition, but if it's clean at the chamber end you should be able to tell quite a bit just by looking.
icebe

The Marlin 322 had a straight stock with no cheekpiece, a fairly wide fore end, and a semi-target chrome moly barrel. The Marlin 422 had a Monte Carlo stock and blued stainless steel sporter weight barrel. Around 5,000 322's were made, but according to Col. Brophy's book there were only 354 422's made.

To add to Stonecreek's input the Model 422 has 'stainless steel' roll stamped on the right side of the barrel just a few inches ahead of the front receiver ring. I might also add that the Model 422's are underrated in terms of collector value. That is one reason that I scarf them up whenever I get a chance to glom onto one.

In addition I was just fortunate to add another sleeper to my collection. It is an H&R Ultra Rifle in 270 Winchester. Got it for a song primarily because many people under value these fine rifles.

rick

folks thank yo so much for all your replies i appreciate all the input expescially regarding the current conditin nd what to watch for, still negotiating with the guy on a few details regarding scope/sights and shipping finers crossed

n addition I was just fortunate to add another sleeper to my collection. It is an H&R Ultra Rifle in 270 Winchester. Got it for a song primarily because many people under value these fine rifles.
Great rifle. A couple of years ago I saw an H&R .30-06 on an FN action with a Mannlicher-style full stock. I passed, and I still regret it. I haven't seen a Mannlicher-stocked H&R since.

Latest posts

Back