Hello from Michigan

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Loyall, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Loyall

Loyall Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Hello all Loyall Bennet here new to the site and a new Sako .338 win mag owner. Looking for help with 30mm rings and currently trying to figure out what exactly I have.
    Any and all advice welcome and appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Looks to be an L61R in a custom stock with deluxe bottom metal. It’s difficult to know if it may have once been an original deluxe at one time. Perhaps it was, maybe the original stock was damaged beyond repair. The custom stock is well done.

The bases are Conetrol style. I believe you can purchase 30MM rings online. Or you can buy Leupold ringmounts or Sako Optilock ringmounts, plus there are a few other options like Redfield bases with several ring choices. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  3. Loyall

Loyall Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thank you for the information I will google the bases and try to find rings for sure.

4. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    You have an exceptionally beautiful rifle in a top big game caliber!

Welcome to the SCC Forum, and thanks for sharing your rifle.

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As the grip cap, recoil pad, comb, & checkering don't match a L61R Deluxe stock, I would agree with Sean that it is a custom made stock & a very beautiful one. The Conetrol rings will drive you mad trying to install them, so I recommend you get a set of 30mm Leupold ringmounts that clamp directly to the tapered dovetails on your action. The Leupold website gives the various ring heights available. Make sure there are no set screws in the bases & just drive them off in the rearward direction with a wood/plastic dowel & hammer.

6. Loyall

Loyall Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Was it possible to order these rifles with a custom stock? I believe I am the second owner of this rifle or so I'm told...so with all that information is it possible to estimate a value? Or is it just what someone is willing to pay
    Thanks for all of the information everyone

7. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    There’s a rifle down under which may have been a custom by Sako. Take a look, the thread is .270 deluxe heavy barrel, and it’s recent. It has several Sako characteristics. So possibly there’s some other anomalies out there. Your stock is simply a very nice custom. You’ve nailed it regarding value.

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Sako factory turned out some one-offs for insiders and persons of particular standing, but they didn't operate a custom shop that took orders from individuals. So, no, it wasn't possible to order Sakos with a custom stock.

Sako did turn out some limited editions for various wholesalers and distributors. There was a run of 500 A-V's in .280 Remington for GO wholesale; a special run made for Ab Calic of Sweden; a Heavy Barrel Mannlicher for Gander Mountain; a "Friends of the NRA" distributed by the NRA; a latter-day Finnbear made exclusively for Cabelas; a "King Ranch" model; and the Australian importer D. W. Custer had several special deluxe editions which exclusively went to Australia. There are probably more examples, but these are the ones that the Club has identified to date. But in each instance there were dozens or hundreds of each special run, not just one unique rifle.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  9. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Wrong thread. Sorry

10. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I'd go to Conetrol and get the Conetrol rings for those bases. Get the top of the line ("Custum" for glossy or "Limited" for satin) rings with the set screw at the bottom to hold it in place on the scope while you're installing it. Conetrol rings are a bit of a hassle to install but the end result is worth it - they are beautiful, and that custom rifle deserves them. Here's a photo of a custom Sako .222 with Conetrol rings and bases. As you can see, the rings have no protrusions on the sides or top. They fit together in a way that they seem to be one piece.

It also appears that the front base on your rifle has been machined or filed to sit forward of where it would be square with the front bridge. This was probably done to accommodate a specific scope. You can leave it as is, or you or your smith could make some very thin metal shims to get it back in its normal place, or replace the front base.

Here's the website: http://www.conetrol.com

Here's the Sako with Conetrol rings.
    Audette 3.JPG Audette 6.JPG

11. Loyall

Loyall Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thank you I never even noticed that