Hello from Johnstown, Pa

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by flipper, Aug 11, 2020.

1. flipper

flipper Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hello, I just bought my first Sako, an AV, 30.06 wearing a McMillan stock. I did plenty of research on this site before purchase, so THANK YOU to all for sharing your knowledge. With the gun came the original wood stock, it was removed at purchase by previous owner and is in new condition. Do members look for these? I would gladly let it go for a fair price.
    I plan to use the rifle for whitetails here in western Pa. It currently has a Meopta Meopro 4-14x44 scope on it.
    Dave Wilson

Rogan Kinnear likes this.

2. Clayman

Clayman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Good luck with whitetails this year, Dave! An AV in '06 is a classy way to hit the field. We have some pretty revolutionary (for PA) changes this year that are really starting to open things up. What WMU do you primarily hunt?

I should think if you were to offer that stock for sale on the forum, someone would gladly buy it. My question is, why not stick it back on and hunt that sucker?

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    +1

4. flipper

flipper Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Good
    Thanks for the note Clayman. I hunt in 2E, in the Brush Valley area. How about you?
    Yes, I have given thought to putting it back on, but the previous owner has about $800 in the McMillan stock, and it is shooting sub-moa with a Meopta Meosport scope on it. I hate to mess with it now.
    Where in Pa do you live?
    Can you suggest a price I might put on the gun stock?
    Dave

5. Clayman

Clayman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Small state, Dave! I also hunt in 2E for the first week of the season. My Dad's family is from St. Marys & DuBois, so we "camp" with them while we're up. I hunt in the Moshannon State Forest area. We've got a chunk up there we've been hunting for 15 years this year and have taken some decent deer. With the concurrent buck/doe this year, it should make things more exciting. I live down outside of Boyertown, so my subsequent hunting is done in 5D and 5C. Good for fattie farm deer!

As for the stock value, I claim total ignorance. If you look to the trading post section of this site, you'll see a few folks looking for them. If it's pretty wood and in nice shape, I wouldn't let it go cheap. I get the tough decision to mess with something that's currently working. I just like the wood Sako uses! I think it's way more fun hunting with a pretty gun.

Brandon

6. flipper

flipper Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania