Hello from Denver Co.

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Tcomguy, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Tcomguy

Tcomguy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    I have to see how much material is in the barrel channel. If the stock was cut for the Browning "pencil" barrel it may not be that far off. Until I shoot it I don't know if I am going to like that short ported barrel. I may have it rebarreled to a 6mm Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor.

2. Tcomguy

Tcomguy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Stock showed up last Thursday. Looks good. Have had to do some inletting in the magazine well to get trigger guard/magazine to insert. Have had to do a little inletting for the receiver to drop in but not bad. The stock has a forearm tip with a white line spacer which is rough shaped and I have mated the tip to the stock. The barrel channel is cut good for about half of the barrel length but is a bit wide for the section in front of the chamber. My barrel tapers off real fast from chamber to its constant profile. So I have about 2.5 inches with about an 1/8 inch gap on either side of barrel. The grip cap came oversize pre glued and screwed with a white line spacer. Took some work to get it shaped and sanded but should be alright. The stock came with a Browning buttplate installed and will only have to do minimal sanding to finish there. My biggest concern is the wood has some sort of dark splotch/stain about the size of a quarter near the heal. I thought it was inletting black because their is a similar stain in the center of the barrel channel. I have tried alcohol, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, acetone, and water to get stain out but only has faded it a bit. It is in the pores since stock has not been sealed yet. It may be some sort of spalting but it is a bit odd. If it won't come out with light sanding I will just leave it alone. It is not that distracting due the varying dark/light figure in the wood. Will be doing bedding in stages to fill in small gaps around tang, chamber and eventually barrel gap. May place a bedding pad on fore-end tip but will wait until I shoot it to see if a little up pressure improves anything. Pics will be coming when I get a little further along.