Hei from Finland

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Von_Lehmann, May 3, 2021.

1. Von_Lehmann

Von_Lehmann Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    Hey folks,

I'm actually from MA but I moved to Finland so here I am. I came to the forum because I started looking at buying an old Sako L46 or L461 and I frankly don't know much about them and I am having a tougher time finding out about them. But I reckon I will make an actual post in that regards

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You can peruse the forum section on the Sako short actions & read some of the threads regarding the L46 & L461 to gain some insight. Is your move to Finland permanent?

3. Von_Lehmann

Von_Lehmann Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    Yup. Been here for a little over 3 years now and I have no plan on leaving! I did just post over there a moment ago actually

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    How does Finnish immigration classify or document your status? Permanent resident? Work Visa? Or do you just have to renew your visa periodically? Lots of red tape to move there?

5. Von_Lehmann

Von_Lehmann Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    I came here at the time because I was with a Finnish girl, after about 2 years your relationship qualifies as a partnership and you get whats called a Class A visa, this means you can work and even own a firearm. First you get a 1 year, then reapply for a 4 year (where I am now) and then you can reapply for a permanent residence. Which I am actually waiting to hear about still....not with the girl anymore, so I had to make a case as to why I should be allowed to stay, but I should be fine.

There is substantial red tape, but it is honestly manageable and very case by case. From what I know of my friends in the US who married foreign women, that is much much harder than what I have had to deal with

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Maybe you're like the guy who posted here a while back: "I got a Sako for my wife. Everybody says I made a good trade."

tripledeuce likes this.
  7. Von_Lehmann

Von_Lehmann Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    well I came for one girl and stayed for another, so that felt like a good trade

Unclekax, tripledeuce and stonecreek like this.
  8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Heipä! Puhutko suomea?

9. Von_Lehmann

Von_Lehmann Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    ei lol...

My finnish is terrible. Still need to take it seriously and take lessons. I wind up learning just basics in whatever job im doing but I need to get down into it. You speak Finnish? In Arizona?

10. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Kyllä. I was in Helsinki as a US diplomat 1991-1993. The Department of State provided language training before I went to Finland. I'm now retired; I sometimes teach a seminar in foreign policy at Pima Community College. I collect Sakos, Tikkas, Valmets, and all kinds of Finnish military weapons. My Finnish is rusty, but I can still read my Finnish gun reference books with frequent assistance from the Suuri Sanakirja.

11. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
  12. Von_Lehmann

Von_Lehmann Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    Aw nice thank you. I studied IR actually, my goal was to work for the foreign service. I just went elsewhere. I lived in Helsinki for a year though. Now I'm in a small town. I was considering a valmet shotgun, but I got a great deal on a 870 and that seemed like a better option