Heavier Barrle Sako?

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by RC20, Sep 28, 2018.

1. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    I shoot a lot, a heavier barrel would suit me fine, I am not concerned with collector value (I have a early Finnbear 30-06 coming that fills that desire)

I am reading some version has the Heavier Barrel than the original Finnbear.

Which mode long action gun would that be?

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Around 1969 or so Sako started using a slightly heavier barrel on its sporter-style rifles. Sako is infamous for mixing newer and older parts when assembling its finished rifles, so there is no "bright line" when the switch to the heavier barrels started. Generally speaking, the Finnbear barrels went from a muzzle diameter of about .600" to about .650". That doesn't sound like much, but it makes a bit of a difference in the heft of a rifle. About the same time they also beefed up the stock contours a little. There is not much extra weight there, but you can easily feel the difference in the size of the pistol grip and fore end when you compare the feel of the two.

Many people mistakenly believe that these are the differences in "pre-Garcia" and Garcia imported rifles. It is true that all Garcia imports (to my knowledge) will have the slightly heavier barrels, but the change in stocks and barrels had nothing to do with the change in American importers which took place over a span of months during 1971.

3. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Thank you, that helps at least. I know what question to ask.

I shoot bull barrel target rifles and for sure from .850 to 1" is huge.

Bench rest the more weight the better (or at least until you can't carry it to the bench!

I am into mil surplus guns and am used to those ambiguities where the bright lines collectors want arn't there.

I think it makes it more interesting not less but a lot don't agree!!

4. Johnnycage

Johnnycage Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    The heavier barrels result in tighter groups. Well worth the extra weight to have the improved accuracy when out hunting IMHO.

5. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    I am out of the hunting these days. Disk blew out and certain restrictions (I am pretty much fully mobile sans back annoyances for which I am grateful!)

So target shooting is my world now, ergo the interest.

I was surprised to get 5 shot groups out of the Finnbear 270 (1962) that were inside an inch

Barrel got pretty warm but groups did not go wild like newer guns I have seen.

I would like to shoot 10 shots paced rather than have to let it cool down.