Hate to ask,,, but what is the correct pronuncation for SAKO?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by aceball, May 12, 2010.

1. aceball

aceball Member

Does it sound more like "Sock O", or "Saaaa Ko", or some other way ? I have always said Saaaako but then again I am from Kentucky! Now that I've moved down to Georgia folks here seem to always say Sock O.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Aceball,
    "Sock-oh".
    S-A

3. hayseed51

hayseed51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, well I pronounce it SAko. Always have and likely always will. Think Europeans tend to use the softer Sock-o pronounciation. Take your pick.

It's sort of like "LeMans"... Dick

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Say whatever you like here in the US , you are protected by the 1st Amendment. If you visit the factory, use the latter. Who really cares, anyway?
    Finns, maybe.
    S-A

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It depends on the language you are speaking. "SAKO" is an acronym -- the first letters of the Finnish words for what translates roughly as " civilian guard arms factory" or some such (there are several entire posts on the actual name).

Acronyms are pronouced according to the rules of pronuciation of the language in which they are used. If you are speaking Spanish (refrain from doing that in Arizona if you want to avoid an overnight in the county lock-up while someone searches for " your papers"), the "a" is always a soft sound like "ah", thus it is " Sahko" or "Socko". This soft "a" is common to many more languages than the English pronuciation, which would be "Say-ko" with a long "a" .

So, since SAKO is a collection of initials rather than an actual word, its pronunciation is pretty much up to the interpretation of whomever is pronouncing it. I say "Say-ko", but then I'm an anglophone (nothing to do with sexual preference or the recent British elections), so that comes naturally to me. I more often hear non-British Europeans say "Sah-ko" .

Fortunately, I have almost never heard the rather grating pronunciation that your great aunt might use: "Sack-o". [​IMG]

dgeesaman likes this.
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    When dealing with gun shops or vendors on the phone, I say it both ways to diminish anyone's sensitivities. That always works. If no one knows either of those I know what direction it will go.
    S-A

7. hayseed51

hayseed51 Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I have almost never heard the rather grating pronunciation that your great aunt might use: "Sack-o". [​IMG]

by stonecreek

Yes, I have a worthless shooting aquaintance that always uses the Sack-o pronunciation. I'm certain he only does it to annoy me. Guess it works... Dick

8. mcgrif2243

mcgrif2243 Banned

Hey all
    As far as what SAKO is abbreviated for, the following is verbatim from a 1971 Sako cartridge brochure, from the factory and printed in Finland. "Sako was founded in 1921, as the armorers of Finland's Voluntary Guards. The name Sako is, in fact, the abbreviation for Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Kondepaja Oy (literally, Weapons and Machine Factory of the Voluntary Guards)".
    Regards, Will

tripledeuce likes this.
  9. aceball

aceball Member

Well there you have it!

Thanks a bunch fellows, and Gods best to ALL of US in 2010!!!

Tom Mc

10. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Whew!!.....Thank you Stonecreek for the best explanation I've heard todate. Guess I can take my Say-ko's out and play now.

11. Olli

Olli Active Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union

Finnish version of Say-ko at 0:04

12. Olli

Olli Active Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    And it would be extremely funny (for fins) to hear how English speakers would pronounce Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Oy.:D

L61R likes this.
  13. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    There is an anecdote about Sako representatives going bananas when they learned that Americans pronounced Sako almost like the Japanese Seiko.

True or not, it’s still funny!:D

Jim

susanna likes this.
  14. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    And you'd be surprised how many Americans, most of whom are more familiar with watches than rifles, think you collect watches when you speak of your rifle collection. Ironically, I'm informed that Jim collects both watches and rifles.

L61R likes this.
  15. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I think I read somewhere they chose the Finnbear, Finnfire, vixen and Forester nomenclatures to avoid the confusion of people thinking they were Japanese.