Hanky Panky?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stonecreek, Jun 14, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902851001

Here's a very pedestrian A-series .243 $800 gun with a $100 scope in throw-away mounts. Its current bid is $1,475. The two "high bidders" are both "NR" (no record) and have outbid one another multiple times raising the price to its current level. To me this indicates two shills -- but it could indicate two idiots. Which do you think?

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Always makes me wonder when I see that. Actually a third NR bidder that bid only once. Wonder how many times shills are used, they win and then seller claims non bidder. if legit the sell got to be happy

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  3. Spaher

Spaher Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    High likelihood it will be reposted for sale in a week. Recently saw another Sako with a winning bid and same item reposted a few days later. My bet is shill(s)...

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Reminds me of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Oooh That Smell!

L61R likes this.
  5. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Two shills working for the seller. If they get one more bid that thing will be boxed up faster than you can say "sucker''.

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Interestingly, none of the seller's other current auctions shows a pattern like this. It remains possible that we have two deep-pocketed newbies with zero Sako knowledge clashing over the same gun. On the other hand, given the vast number of .243 Sakos on the market at much lower prices, it seems kind of unlikely. Personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a .243 Sako unless it was a Mannlicher-style carbine or an L57 Deluxe.

7. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Well one of the NR won the sale (Elkhorn53) for $1475 now we will see if it pops right back up for sale.

8. shinbone

shinbone Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Not saying the auction is legit, but it doesn't make sense to have two shills in the same auction?

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sure it does. One shill can only bump the price once. Two shills can bump it over and over again.

However, I'll agree that when using two shills the purpose is not to sell via the auction, but to "establish" a high price for the item then use that benchmark for some other purpose.