Finnwolf VL63 Hand loads get stuck

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by Noplans, May 27, 2021.

1. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi
    I have problem extracting after shot on shell that are handloaded. They get stuck. I tried several different. Its the neck that gets stuck. and yes i measured the case. Also talked with the man who does them. He did several things on the toool. No one else has this problem he says.
    byt no one had Finnwolf :)
    I have a theory. Shells are loaded more than factory. So mabye the brass expands in inlet. And inlet has old brass that makes it more narrow.
    Have tried to clean.
    This never ocur with factory loads.

2. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Over pressure loads, soft brass or brass loaded too many times can be the main issue. Can you post some pictures of the brass how they look before and after shooting?

Finnwolf has fairly weak primary extraction, so it is a contributing factor too, but since factory ammo works fine I would not blame the gun.

Personally I would never shoot anyone else's reloads. Selling them is highly illegal activity at least in Finland.

3. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi
    Theese are my order. Not anyone else, and not over loaded only at max
    I tried with a brass that was of good quality and used once. Same issue.
    Will look for a shell.
    But i noticed once that the neck was little longer after the shoot.

I never use them. I dont like when Finnwolf needs help extracting. But i have around 50 good rounds just sitting unused. Tried different bullets brass meds load. But still more than factory.

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Among my many rules is...............I only fire brass, in a given chamber, that is unique/virgin to that given chamber.

Someone else's handloads/reloads???.............NEVER!!

BTW.......I think your "loads" have swelled caseheads(from being fired in a different/slightly larger chamber), as compared to your chamber. Also, they're probably too "hot".

Hope this helps.

5. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Ok. But there is no difference in diameter between them and factory. I had another .308 where they works great. But sold it. Steyer.
    i aldo thing chamber is the issue. Mabye there is brass at the end and needs clean.
    any how, to use handloads from friends seems strange but on ocations ok. As long as you know all facts about it.

6. kevinlg

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Noplans.......

Unless you're measuring to 0.0001".......you won't know for sure.

A quick test.......black "magic marker" the rear half of a fired case. Chamber and extract the case.........the problem should be self-evident.

7. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    It is the end of the neck in case. Last mm. It gets to long. i shoot around 7. 4 plus i think 3 different bullets. And 2 different case manufactor.

8. kevinlg

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Noplans.....

I've never heard of the neck-end, of a fired case, preventing the case from being extracted from the chamber.

Perhaps if you posted a close-up pic, of the fired case, it would help.

9. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Let's see the pictures first, but maybe try taking the charge down from max.

Finnwolf should not be pushed too hard. There are many parts to break and not too many spare parts floating around. Bolt guide pin is probably the first to go.

10. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    I will try to find the shells. But I took an example pic. I thing the red cirkle area is the problem. But also blue could be angle after fire.
    But you all right, would not risk the Finnwolf in using wrong ammo. This is only an investigation since I have had the problem in some cases of brass. As long as I use at least the factory ammo I have without any problem. Even on the Premium loaded Federal chrome I have.

Attached Files:

11. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    No plan
    I had a couple Finnwolves that did the same exact thing on hand loads. Factory ammo fed fine, but my hand loaded ammo(fired once in a L579) would not not eject. I thought the same as you, that neck was sticking but it didn’t make sense. Also it wasn’t every round , only some.
    308 win didn’t get stuck as much as the .243 did but both guns shared the same issues with my hand loads.
    As Kevin said , I feel my mistake was was using brass that was fired in a different chamber. Even though the brass that I have used between several different L579’s worked fine and accurate enough for my desired intentions, never had any problems. I figured that using full length sizing is what saved me with all my turn bolt guns. The Wolf has a whole different world of operation. Be careful not to yank or pry the lever open as it will cause other timing problems and damage.
    Never good to shoot someone else’s reloads..it may seem simple enough but it can and eventually will lead to problems or even hazards, squibs and overpressures.
    Stick to factory ammo , save the brass from the designated gun if you choose to hand load your self.
    Try different factory ammo till you find the right accuracy level, and you should be fine.

hippie

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  12. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks,
    I thought that the tools in the loader re-chaped the brass to factory principles and measurements.
    I fully understand now :). Great forum.

Noplans

13. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I just can't keep from adding my 2cents worth on this thread. So, full length resize the brass and trim to proper length. Reload as normal. however, One comment really got me. No overload but reloads were loaded to the max. This kind of reloading mania really chaps by butt. Reloading to the max shortens case life and in most cases isn't all that accurate.

Suggest you read the thread that I posted on accuracy.
    Here it is and I hope that it is helpful.

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/guidelines-for-accuracy.15621/page-5#post-89940

Rick

14. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Amen Rick
    In my younger days I remember a dude that hand loaded ammo. He said he always loaded 1/10th grain over max. I found this curious. He said all guns shot better that way...
    I continued to shoot factory
    Later I took it up for myself, and I read all the information I could, as well as talking to others who had long experience. I’ve never loaded anything past or even at maximum load. No need to in my book. I want my brass to last as long as possible. Hot loads are seemingly silly once you wrap your mind around all the principles and fundamental aspects. Burn charts , powder choices, case volume , stretching, and so on. It’s a lot to take responsibility for.
    Two cents can be worth thousands! Thank you

Hippie

15. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks for all experience.
    I think you all also know that except talking about different rifles also know that talking about loads etc is one more universe :) with different experience.

For me buying new ammo each time as factory loads is no deal, trying hand loads is an extra ad on.
    Doing hand loads to save money is a third option. Bringing the best out of the rifle is a forth, and trying to exceed the best friends ft/s is a fifth.
    I am in the beginning of my journey, I like to sit in the woods or hiking waiting to see the perfect opportunity for a deer. If the deer is beautiful I will try to get the shoot as perfect as possible, if the situationj call for it a will just have the walk and not the shot..
    I hope this explains how I see things.

noplans

16. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Cases stretch as they are fired, and the necks get longer and thicker. If the person doing the reloading does not trim and turn the case necks before reloading, it is entirely possible that the neck will stick in the chamber.

I had a similar problem once with an Argentine Mauser in the standard 7.65 Argentine caliber. One particular batch of military-issue ammo kept giving me hard extraction. I thought maybe I had gotten some delinked MG ammo that might have been hotter than normal, but that wasn't it. After several discussions with military Mauser collectors, I learned that some Argentine factory cartridge cases were a bit longer than spec. My chamber was tight (the 100-year-old rifle had hardly ever been fired) and the extra-long cases were sticking at the end of the neck. I could see a bright ring on the fired case.

Just a thought, your reloaded cases might be too long. I believe the Finnwolf was built with a pretty tight chamber.

Noplans likes this.
  17. MICHAEL MERCIER

MICHAEL MERCIER Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Saskatchewan
    Hi. I have been hand loading rifle ammunition for 35 years in almost everything from 204 Ruger to 338 Lapua and agree with everything you have talked about. Being fussy I measure each case and trim accordingly. Loading hot is not recommended at anytime. Old and new manuals are different therefore avoid max loads by one or two grains if possible. Extreme pressures decrease barrel and case life significantly. Some spent casings from certain manufacturers do not hand load well. Use good brass. Some rifles take anything others are very finicky. Some brass is too soft with primers and bullets not seating properly. I have experimented a lot. If you are serious use full size dies on new brass and work up a load. Winchester Remington hornady etc are all good. Federal classic spent brass is too soft. Old brass from who knows where is not a good idea. cheers

Noplans likes this.
  18. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    This is the load from the last batch.

Attached Files:

19. kevinlg

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As a aside.......but may be relevant here.........since I've never owned a Finnwolf.

How many guys use Small Base(SB) full-length re-sizing dies, when reloading for the VL63??

I've had "bolt-click" problems in the past with a few bolt actions. Tight bases in semi-autos and lever actions raise bigger problems.

Just a thought.......