Hand loading your Sako

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by Bucktote, May 18, 2021.

1. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Does anyone have knowlege of rifle powder FSP-759/H380NR & large rifle primers NR.
    They appear to be very inexpensive and available ???

2. dodgyrog

dodgyrog Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
  3. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Roger,
    Can you send me photo's of your L46 - .222 rifle. Also what year was the rifle made? Thanks.
    Blackjack - New Forest England

4. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi dodgyrog,
    Thanks for the info, I looked them up again and the offer for sales was no longer on the GB site under reloading?? Russian powder & primers? I guess a guy would have to be willing to take the risk to buy them even at bargin prices, but they are gone ??

5. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi ya'll
    The Russian powder & primers back on GB in the reloading section.
    Powder selling in 16,lb lots. no reserve, but I know nothing about them??
    If they are Russian and no one has any good histoty with them I guess they may not be a bargin. Could the primers be corrosive? I guess I am just concerned because the prices of all reloading materials are so high and I feel
    danger lurking around the corner from the anti hunting crowd. my most pleasant hunting has been with my sons & grand sons and soon with my great grandsons as time permits.
    Happy Veterans day to all that served & God bless!!

6. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Sako fans,
    I understand how much detail goes into case prep for reloading our Sakos. Givin all the required steps: inspecting, depriming, lub & resizing, brass polishing, reinspecting. Now get to priming !. Question: How much does changing primer mfgs. say Rem. to CCI etc. affect the POI in a givin load assuming same style primer is used, like, large rifle to same large rifle? I ask only because loading componants are in short supply and may require changing brands of primers. All other componants remain the same, powder type & weight, caseings and projectiles. Also does anyone have experience with large rifle military primers from CCI??

7. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Excellent question. It kinda works this way. Even though primers of like ilk are used there is still some potential for variance from manufacturer to manufacturer. Assuming that you are doing everything I have recommended (weighing bullets etc.) there is still potential for a variation in accuracy from one primer manufacturer to another. So the rule of thumb still applies. If the only component that is changed say from CCI Large Rifle to Remington or Winchester or.. Large Rifle Primers expect some sort of variation in POI. This could be good news, no change or something bad.

I realize that this doesn't help at all. But you can experiment. Purchase or borrow a tray of 100 primers and give the different brands a try making the primer the only variant. Checkout the accuracy attained and stick with the winner.

rick

Bottom Gun likes this.
  8. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Rick !
    Thanks for the reply. It seems that to save on primers, you need to buy in large quantities in this sellers market. 5,000 at a time or so to get the prices reasonable. I have primers for the load Silverfox zeroed my .243 Forester in, and it was the best of the several loadings that we tried. Givin the direction our Govt. seems to be heading i was trying to keep everything the same as possible.
    Maybe it would be best to just wait and see what develops as prices & availability may become more to our liking ?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  9. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I don't agree. Primers are way over priced as is everything else. I would buy 100 at a time if I could and wait for the prices to come down.

rick

10. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Oh lord,
    Please give me patience, right now!!

11. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Patience has nothing to do with it. Greed does.

rick

12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Over a half-century of handloading I've found primer choices to have the least impact on load performance of any component.

In very small capacity cases you may see some differences; for instance, the classic example is how often shooters report an improvement in accuracy with a .22 Hornet when substituting the less "powerful" small pistol primers in the place of small rifle primers. Likewise, hunters who hunt in very cold climates swear that "magnum" primers are necessary for large capacity cases when temperatures reach extreme lows.

However, I very much doubt you will be able to detect a difference in your .243 load when switching between a Rem 9 1/2 and a WLR or a CCI 200. Just use what you've got or whatever you can get.

Do be mindful that some guys are taking this opportunity to get rid of some primers which they inherited from the third wife of their great uncle who kept them in the garden shed on a shelf just underneath the weed killer and beside the bug spray. It is probably wise to steer clear of components of questionable provenance.

13. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thanks Stoney for the good advice. I hope Rick doesn't think I was greedy wanting to get the price of primers & other componants back to where they were before the Wuhan hit the fan .I guess it's hard to realize that a guy my age used to by gasoilne @ 18 cents/ gallon and IMR @ $75.00/ 8lb jug. Lead shot was gotten @ $16.00/25lb bag and primers @ $10/1,000. The fact that some of the stock seen on GB shows signs of age in the packaging, so I guess I'll wait
    to see if things go back to somwhat normal. I can remember when the coffee growers tried to make coffee scarce in order to raise prices, I hope that is not the case with ammo & reloading suppliers. I really don't want to buy Russian primers & powder & I don't watch ML baseball, fly Delta or drink Cokes.
    Just an old stubborn USAF, SAC vet !!!