• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

H&R w/ L579 action scope mounts

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Banned
Can anyone guide me to the correct mounts for my rifle. Its an H&R; .308 w/ L 579 action. It is the Sako L579 action. I am guessing its from the 80's but do not know. I cannot seem to find the correct mounts. It does not have a dovetail on it. Everything I seem to find references it to the same mount as an FN Mauser. While the mounting screws line up, the mounts are at different heights. I tried to make a leupold setup work. It all seemed correct but when sighting it in, I couldnt get enough elevation to reach the target. Leupold says they don't make mounts for my rifle.

Thanks

Justin- I assume you do not have integral mounts Hr's are "round top" The redfield bases for the browning-sako safari are what you need. They are on E-bay quite a bit. I have a set of redfield bases that are two piece that will work. Depending on what came off originally, chances are your holes will not match up. I have a set of weaver bases also, and that is what I usually see on these rifles. Good luck-Mike

Mike is correct -- the bases you need are those that fit a Browning Safari in .22-250, .243, .284, or .308 built on the Sako action. I'm not certain if H&R; used the same hole spacing as Browning. If not, then you may need to do some mixing and matching in order to come up with the right combo. The height of the bridge and the receiver ring should be the same, therefore the height of the bases, unlike those for a Mauser or many other bolt guns, should be the same height. If you'll take the gun to a dealer who has a complete selection of Weaver bases you should be able to fit it without too much trouble. If you can't find bases with the correct hole spacing, it is not too difficult to custom drill the aluminum Weaver base for a new hole.

Once you find the right Weaver bases, I like the Burris Z-rings.

Stoneking and Justin- Mike is not right about this particular rifle. After viewing the pics it looks like the rear of the receiver is higher than the front not lower like the mauser action browning safaris. I'm at a loss on this (nothing new).-regards, Mike

The round receiver Sakos should have an equal height to both the receiver ring and the bridge; after all the only difference in them and the dovetailed Sako is the absence of the dovetail -- and the two dovetails are level with one another. I'll look at my Browning Sako .243 tonight when I get home, but I'm almost positive that its receiver is level on top (the Mauser would, of course, be different). I can't feature the H&R; being otherwise. There were a few other semi-custom guns built on a round Sako receiver like Winslow and Magnum Research. To my knowledge, they had level receivers and bridges.

Stonecreekranch- Justin corrected me and told me the two portions were level and that I was wrong (my words)about how I interpreted the pics. I told him to go back to plan "A"then and I haven't heard from him. I know mine (safari) is level but it came with weaver mts. I then proceeded to go thru what he is going thru. I would prefer SR. mts on mine but Jr is where I am with it.-Regards, Mike

Can't remember which is the one-piece and which is the two-piece, SR or JR? Anyway, my .243 HB has the Redfield one-piece, which is fine on an HB where you don't mind the weight. I prefer the two-piece on a Sporter due to its lighter weight and less obstruction of the loading port. I have some Weaver Sako-Safari bases in my safe that I picked up over the years hoping to latch onto another Sako Safari, but haven't come across one that I thought was worth the asking price yet.

Stonecreek- The one I have is a .243 and not accurate at this point. I haven't tried to tune any loads for it as yet. It is a very pretty rifle with strong fiddle back walnut and character. I, of course,paid too much for it but they aren't making them anymore are they. Salt wood was a topic I wanted to bring up but don't know if this is the place for that thread.. I don't see any evidence of it with mine but I hear that it happens. By the way, SR mounts are 2 pc.-Regards, Mike

Buehler may still make mounts, labeled for your rifle. I have a set labeled H&R; Sako cal 270 and up. Code HS. Some browning safari bases are drilled for different screw spacing. I had a Safari 22-250 that the screw holes would not line up. All I can say is good luck.

The round top sako action for the H&R; is NOT the same as the round top browning/sako action. You must find mounts specificall for the H&R.; Conetrol makes excellent bases for these. Weaver makes bases for the budjet-minded. Feel free to ask me if you need help finding the correct part #s.

Latest posts

Back