H&R-Sako sold on Gunbroker

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by icebear, Aug 28, 2021.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    This H&R-Sako L61R in .300 WM just sold on GB for $660. I was surprised at how cheap it went; the H&R-Sako rifles are high quality items and this one seemed to be in good shape. I might have bid but I don't care for the caliber. I wonder why it went so cheap - maybe there just aren't that many people who know about these rifles? It's a sharp contrast with the bidding on an H&R-Sako .308 carbine I bought a while back. There was some very spirited bidding on that one and the price was a lot higher.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/908179580

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think there aren't that many buyers who know what the H&R Sakos are. They associate the H&R brand with inexpensive .22 rifles and handguns, or maybe a single-shot shotgun with a birch stock; as a result they overlook some of the high-quality items that H&R marketed.

So far as I can determine, except for the .17/223 chambering, all of the H&R Sakos were barreled by Sako, and most of them used a somewhat slimmer barrel profile specified by H&R (the lone exception was the 23.6" Ultrawildcat .222 which was essentially identical to the contemp0raneous Vixen). These lighter barrels make quite a difference in the rifle's weight, so the H&R's have more the feel of a "pre-1969" Sako.

Maybe some buyers are turned off by the 1970's style roll over cheekpiece; it certainly takes lefties out of the running. But I think it is mainly a lack of knowledge in the marketplace, otherwise a rifle like the one on GB would have sold higher.

3. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    660 plus
    55 freight plus
    57 tax plus
    23 3% cc fee
    = 795 is not too onerous but …
    Plus new stock?
    It is a good looking piece but the busted stock?
    If I were a stock maker perhaps it might be tempting.
    I enjoy the way we are all hunting together for the good deal or the elusive quarry or the obscure Sako.
    Kax

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stone..........

Interesting......
    Do any records show Sako providing barrelled actions to H&R prior to 1975?

5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I had not focused on the crack in the stock, since I was not planning to bid. My oversight, and one that surely affected the value. That said, the crack looks like it might already have been repaired. If not,it could likely be repaired with epoxy and pinned with Brownells brass reinforcements, but it would cost a couple of hundred to have a gunsmith do it. That makes the sale price look a lot more realistic, if not slightly high. The sales tax is also a factor - it has made buying through Gunbroker more expensive than it used to be. Credit card fee is a personal choice - I use cashier's checks since I can get them for no fee from my credit union.

Stonecreek makes an excellent point about the weight of the H&R rifles. My .308 carbine has a very slim barrel and is quite light. Accuracy is excellent despite the skinny barrel. I have thought about getting a full-length H&R-Sako rifle to go with the carbine, but the high rollover cheekpiece on the stock is a minus. The giant camel hump that was so stylish in the 70's has, fortunately, gone out of style.

Stay tuned, I've got a rare and interesting Tikka on the way. Will post when it arrives.