H&R Model 317 Ultra Wildcat 17 Remington with missing markings

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by Paperpunch, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Paperpunch

Paperpunch Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    I recently bought what was supposed to be a H&R Model 317 Ultra Wildcat 17 Remington but I’m having trouble placing it as a H&R other than the fact it has a H&R pad. There are the usual Sako markings on the action identifying it as an L461 but the barrel says M LAMBERT 17 REM on the left side. The stock is characteristic of the H&R. I was told it was assembled after H&R went out of business but I have no way to verify that. I’m hoping someone on here can shed some light on the history of this beautiful little rifle.

IMG_1464.JPG IMG_1465.JPG IMG_1466.JPEG IMG_1467.JPEG IMG_1468.JPEG IMG_1469.JPEG IMG_1470.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    H&R had an inventory of Sako actions when it went out of business, as well as some stocks for the 317. As I understand it, they were sold at auction then resold by whoever purchased the bulk inventory. Your rifle would probably be a semi-custom with H&R stock and action from that sale barreled by a custom gunsmith.

I'm sure keving will chime in here to provide more accurate details. He is an enthusiast of the O'brien's and H&R's and has a lot of detail and documentation regarding those rifles.

3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Well......it could be as simple as a gunsmith(M Lambert) re-barrel.

Or.......and I've seen it done.......the factory 17-223 barrel has been set back two or three threads, and re-indexed 180 degrees "out"..........and re-chambered in 17 Rem.

Removing the barrelled action, from the stock.......will tell the story.

Hope this helps.

4. Paperpunch

Paperpunch Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Got a look at the complete barrel today and there are no markings other than the ones I mentioned. I guess there will always remain some mystery. Is there any way to date this with the serial number or stock style? Does the fact that it’s the grooved action tell us anything about when it was made other than it was “late”?

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    H&R used both grooved and round top actions. My impression is that the earlier ones were grooved and the later ones were specially made for H&R with round tops. However, this is only my vague understanding and it is possible that H&R used both types of actions in no particular order.

The serial number on your gun shows in the inspection records to have been inspected as an action-only. At that time Sako did not list the actions-only in their shipping records so there is no way to know to whom it was shipped, however, this would be consistent with actions shipped to outlets like H&R. Sako did send H&R barreled actions, but not for the .17 calibers, which were barreled by H&R.

Rather than being from the H&R closeout inventory, I would guess your rifle to have been a completed Ultrawildcat rifle and subsequently re-barreled by a gunsmith.

6. Paperpunch

Paperpunch Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Ok, so it was likely an early one and likely by H&R originally.

Did you notice the tip is a little different than the usual H&R stock? It looks a bit more rounded to me.

Thanks.

7. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana