H and R Sako

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by bigcountry4me, Aug 26, 2021.

1. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I know there are folks who collect these. I personally do not but thought maybe this might be of interest. I have zero experience with these and don’t know if it’s priced appropriately. Thanks.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101055384

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The little H&R Ultrawildcats (the ones that are the follow-on to the O'briens with their 20" pencil barrels) are neat little rifles. Cabelas tends to miss the market on prices -- mostly too high and sometimes too low. In this case the condition of the rifle probably makes the price too high, but that's up to the ultimate buyer who knows what it's worth to him.

By the way, it appears from the Sako factory records that the H&R's chambered in .17 Remington had Sako-made barrels, but those in .17/223 had barrels from some other source which were fitted by H&R after importing the actions. I once had a .17/223 which I couldn't get to group despite the barrel's nice appearance. I've heard from others that their .17 Remingtons (presumably with genuine Sako barrels) shoot well. I do own an H&R Ultrawildcat 20" in .223 and it shoots quite accurately with its fly-weight barrel.

H&R also marketed another .223 which for which they used the same term "Ultrawildcat". However, it was a fully-Sako rifle with a 23.6 inch barrel that was practically identical to the contemporaneous Vixen.

bigcountry4me likes this.
  3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    A close look at this rifle shows that it's a round-top action(two plugged screw holes on the right side of the rear receiver ring).......therefore the 17Rem barrel would be factory Sako,and barrelled by Sako.

From what info I have....the round-top actions were used in the last two years of the Model 317's production.....1975 & 1976. Sako provided the complete barrelled action.

Earlier Model 317 17Rem rifles(1971 thru 1974) used dove-tailed actions, and had their barrels installed by H&R......presumably made by Douglas.

(edit: Just found the other pics. Looks a little beat-up.....for 1400 bucks. :( )

(double edit: Stone........O'Brien's 17Jav and 17 Mach IV rifles had 18" barrels by A&M and Ackley. His 17 Magnum had a 20" barrel.
    Those 18 inchers make some noise!! :) )

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    bigcountry4me likes this.