gunsmithing classes for career transition

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Webphut, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Webphut

Webphut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I been interested in becoming a rifle smith for several years now. I been researching gunsmithing classes, seminars, workshops, and college programs for the same duration. Honestly, with four grade school daughters, I do not see myself going to one of the colleges, though I would love to attend the college programs, it just is not going to happen, anytime soon anyway.
    As far as weekend classes, seminars, workshops go, I am yet to find one locally. Houston, Texas seems to be hurting for gunsmithing schools. Gunsmiths I have used or been in contact with locally, all seem to be of the same situation being that the wife runs the business and knows whats actually going on and the husband does the hands on work. I have yet to find a class convenient for a full time dad in my area. So I have decided to research learning this on my own with gunsmithing books and a cheap rifle off of GunBroker, Texas gun Trader or a similar used gun market place.
    With this in mind, I thought of picking up a beat up Rem 700 and buying some gunsmithing books and just jumping in with both feet in my garage. Have any of the members learned gunsmithing this way? What skills gets a person employable at a gunsmith shop? I am already current in machining, Tig welding, CAD, CAM, and pushing brooms, sorting chips into metal recycle bins.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

2. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    https://www.acgg.org
    Here is a link to some talented people.
    There is probably a link or number to someone who could offer some guidance.
    Great eye candy too!

3. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Wow, thank you so much. That site is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. rrconductor

rrconductor Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Carolina
    Steven Dodd Hughes offers some courses during the year. It sounds like you have machining and welding down, books would be a start or offer to do some machining in a gun shop in exchange for some weekend instruction. Jack Mitchell had a series of books that would be helpful, he and I were at Co School of Trades at the same time.

5. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thank you. I will look into it.