• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions Gun Show Produces a Sako!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
I was reluctant to pay an entire $10 bill just to get into the local gun show, but having a little time to kill on a Sunday I figured that the worst it could do was disgust me. Sure enough, there was plenty there I found no entertainment in seeing, but I did come across a table with a really nice old L46 HB .222.

An inquiry of the licensed dealer behind the table resulted in one of those stories ("belongs to an old uncle who's going blind and needs to sell, so no tax or paper work, you know"). Beside it was an extremely nice old Ithaca-SKB 200E SxS 20 gauge shotgun with some really nice wood, which belonged to the same "old blind uncle". Now, if there are two things that float my gunboat, it is old Sakos and small gauge doubles. So, I started the dance, told him I hadn't seen all of the show and needed to browse around a little more before getting serious.

After a while I drifted back to his table after sauntering among the the salt water taffy, Chinese fighting knives, and copious amounts of literature espousing every conspiracy theory you've ever heard of a many you haven't. "Okay, what will your uncle take for both?" "Dunno, but I'll call him", was the response. After a little humming and hawing on both parts, we finally hit on a dollar figure that was at least a break-even if things didn't work out with either gun. Paid the man and took off for home, heavy with guns but light of money.

The L46 came with a set of original high rings (needed for clearance on most heavy barrels). So I slapped a loose 3-9 Leupold on it (gloss, matching the pristine bluing of the rifle). When the sun got a little lower I gathered up some .222 ammunition and took it to the bench. After a slight adjustment to align the bore and the crosshairs on a 50 yard target the first shot was close enough that I moved to the 100 yard target to try a group.

The trial ammunition was some old stuff in ancient Herter's cases which usually are just fine, but I wear safety glasses when shooting these rounds from the late Jurassic. The glasses are foggy and aiming through them is less than precise, but the three shots covered with a dime (quite literally, see photo below). The next group was fired with some of my handloads built to somewhat "tighter" specs. I'm not competent to measure the three shot group on the next photo -- let's just say that it is anything but disapointing!

IMG_0666 (600x800).jpg

IMG_0667 (600x800).jpg
IMG_0669 (800x571).jpg

Now, if the SKB 20 Gauge double will just shoot as well I will have had one fine day at a gun show. Even though I came away without the pot metal Ninja throwing knives and a chaw of genuine buffalo hump jerky.

SKB 20 Gauge double
Here’s mine, 26” IC/M. Very well built double, kind of a sleeper these days. This one has countless quail, chucker, dove, grouse and pheasants under its belt. Used to have a 100E as well. Take care.

Attachments

• 6F3A9EDD-2E60-43B3-B856-6843A716A634.jpeg
    6F3A9EDD-2E60-43B3-B856-6843A716A634.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 27
Here’s mine, 26” IC/M. Very well built double, kind of a sleeper these days. This one has countless quail, chucker, dove, grouse and pheasants under its belt. Used to have a 100E as well. Take care.
SKB broke into the American market using Ithaca as their importer/distributor and branding their shotguns with Ithaca's name. After Ithaca's bankruptcy SKB sold their shotguns under their own name through another U.S. distributor. Financial reversals took them out of the business of making their own guns, so they made parts as a subcontractor for Miroku (the Browning gun producer). A group eventually bought SKB and brought back shotgun production as "The New SKB Company", making pretty much the same guns that the "old" SKB company built. After a while that enterprise folded, now the name has been sold to a completely different company which is importing Turkish-made shotguns branded "SKB".

I've also got one of the original O/U's in a three-barrel skeet set. There was a field grade 500, an upgraded 600, and a high grade 700 in the O/U. The set I stumbled onto has outstanding wood, ivory sights, and is marked "800". I've never seen an "800" outside of this one -- and since they are a kind of sleeper, I was able to buy it "right".

Stonecreek, I like your story. Especially the taffy and fighting knives. 10 years ago I had the exact same experience, dime and all, with a pre 72, 223 heavy barrel with a canjar trigger.

Years ago, I too had just walked past some barbed wire at our local gunshow........only to happen upon two rifles that "interested" me.
I also made a two-fer offer......and the guy took it(shoulda started lower).

I ended up going home with TWO......H&R 317 rifles.
Ya just never know........

Oh......like IceBear said......pics.....or it never happened. :)

Here are my SKBs 100, 500, and 600. All great guns and all 20ga, did have a 600 12ga at one time but sold it.

Attachments

• P1140153.JPG
    P1140153.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 18
  • P1140141.JPG
    P1140141.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P1140135.JPG
    P1140135.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 18
Here are my SKBs 100, 500, and 600. All great guns and all 20ga, did have a 600 12ga at one time but sold it.
Nice ones! I still have several 12 gauges of various types but never shoot them. I don't do waterfowl, and all upland birds can be hunted with a 20 or 28, so the 12 gauge is a kinda superfluous gun for me. I do like the "authority" of a 12 on pheasants since a flying rooster seemingly can carry a lot of shot, but haven't had an occasion to go for pheasants in many years now.

Stone that is exactly why I sold my 12ga, I just found it much more enjoyable to use the 20s and found the 20 is all I need. Although I think I still have 4 of 5 boxes of Rem high brass 6 shot I should sell or trade off. lol

Since we are on the subject of 20 gauge doubles, here's one that was made in Finland. It's a Valmet 412 with a 20 gauge barrel set of about 25". The barrels originally had fixed chokes but were fitted by a previous owner with screw chokes in Skeet 1 and Skeet 2. As is typical of European (but not American) shotguns, it has attachment points for a sling.

The 412 is heavy for a 20 at 8 pounds. That's because it's built on the same frame as the 12-bores and double rifles. It's a bit heavy to carry all day in the field, but the extra weight does help with a smooth follow-through, and of course an 8-pound 20 has rather little felt recoil.

Valmet 412-1.JPG

As is typical of European (but not American) shotguns, it has attachment points for a sling.
I'm not sure why Americans don't sling their shotguns. It seems a handy way to manage the gun when both hand are needed for something else. I recently acquired a Spanish-made 28 double (about 5.8 lbs) which has slender sling brackets which will accept a sling about 3/4 inch wide. I'm looking for a supple piece of leather to sling this one with and hope to try it out this fall on doves.

Latest posts

Back