Grey wolf 85 Mounts disgusted

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by outdoor, Jul 31, 2019.

1. outdoor

outdoor Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    So Im a life long Sako owner , owned a gun shop mounted many scopes never had a problem. So it starts here... The Grey Wolf 300 wsm purchased 4 months ago NIB was purchased to use instead of any of my AV deluxe's . I have sitting on a 300wm deluxe a VX3 Leopold 50mm objective (never used) . The thought was mount that on the Gray Wolf. After the fact I find out...the rear mount dove tail receiver is just a hair too large to be able to tighten properly. The shots will wonder around 5 " in all directions. during this time I am racking my brain thinking, "break in" this barrel ? can't be...Scope feels tight, does it not like the ammo? will my reloads be better? So I start search for answers and find out the dovetail issue with the 85. WHY would they make that dovetail thinner? Optilocks would still work but DON'T reduce the size of the dovetail. I am not interested in placing a metal block then mounting the rings to that..why add the extra weight? Also another location for something to loosen. Two thoughts they did this for: money and money. They don't want you using Leopold mounts and they want you to purchase optilock mounts from Beretta. Bottom line,Their are many good guns out there and this is my last Sako.

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    You’re question has left me scratching my head.

First off, I also have 85’s and older model Sakos in my collection. All my dovetails are consistent and it doesn’t matter which brand of ringmounts I choose. Leupold, Sako, etc. all will interchange without hassle. I don’t like the old Milletts but they do work as well. Leupold ringmounts have no stop, or boss, so they can be slid forward farther than the Sako brand, unless the boss is removed.

If an Optilock ringmount will work then possibly the Leupold ringmount is milled incorrectly, but that would be surprising as I’ve used Leupold for years without ever having an issue.

I can’t imagine the rear dovetail on an 85 not being machined properly but I suppose stranger things have happened.

When you wrote you stated “ the rear dovetail rear mount was too large”. Then you wrote, Why would they make it thinner . So that sort of confused me to a degree. Maybe some photos would benefit me as well as others wishing to comment.

3. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Naturally the rear dovetail is narrower than the front, but I don't think this is what you mean, since you are already familiar with this from your older AV's. The dovetails should be the same in all Sako's from the beginning of time to this day. Especially the rear dovetail is always the same width and length. Either there is some big mistake in the milling of the dovetail or your mount is wrong. I'm puzzled.

4. outdoor

outdoor Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Ha-ha I should have wrote that slower. The "rear mounting ring/base"(one piece style Leupold brand) is too big for the rear dovetail receiver on a grey wolf 85. The dovetail receiver milled into the 85 is tapered as you know. So envision a smaller section of dovetail, that is what is present. This has happened to several 85 owners who wish to use Leupold one piece mounts. Regarding Optilock >>> The whole idea of "adding" a milled platform then mounting the ring to the platform is just added weight, additional cost and another location for a place for an issue to arise. Please note if you have less than a 50mm scope you can get a one piece optilock to fit the 85. Once you hit 50mm you must buy optilock mounts in two piece style, no options. Yesterday I spoke with the Sako dealer in PA Euro-Optics they clearly told me Beretta did that on purpose to force you to buy their mount and move away from Leupold. So just to reiterate the rear dovetail on a 85 is a smaller, thinner section of dovetail and will not match existing dovetails on previous Sako's and therefore one piece Leupold will not work. Sorry for the confusion.

5. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I completely agree with regards to the Optilock ringmounts and the Optilock ring and base systems. We have both systems and they do add weight and they are expensive, but they absolutely work.

Respectfully, I agree with PO4R’s post. This is not to say somehow your particular rifle has some sort of anomaly. I’ve read in other forums where the contributor felt there was an issue with the dovetails.

I believe EuroOptic has given you bad data. Unfortunately sales folks sometimes DO NOT accurately relay the correct product knowledge. I’ve bought from them and like most companies, product knowledge varies from person to person.

Like you, I’ve worked in the industry for 30 plus years. I’ve personally mounted Leupold ringmounts on Sako 85’s countless times, including six family members whom I’ve been able to convert. My wife’s two Finnlights are both carrying Leupold ringmounts as weight was a foremost concern. These mounting systems have been in place for seven and eight years respectively, never have we had an issue.

I hope you find resolution to your issue.

6. outdoor

outdoor Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I purchased the two piece Optilock system..pretty bad when rings/bases cost $144. Just don't like when they force me to do something. I did call Sako / Beretta today they told me one piece Leopold mounts will not fit/tighten properly on the grey wolf. So according to that person "we" are pretty much forced to use Beretta mounts. That being said this is my last Sako. I just needed something that would take the place of the AV deluxe models. They are mint and I made it this long without marking any of them up. I'll just take them out and bench shoot with them now. Lets hope the 300 wsm with hand loads can group just as tight as the other Sako's I own...otherwise its bye bye grey wolf.

7. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Good luck, I hope things work out for you. We had the same idea regarding our older rifles. Preserving them for sure , plus we wanted to go to light rifles for hunting in the high country.

Getting a little older and hiking all day with a heavy rifle was a needed change, plus a stainless synthetic rifle although I’m still careful can get bumped without too much worry.

8. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I totally don't understand why Sako would change the dovetail on the Grey Wolf. Makes no sense whatsoever. I don't really buy the idea that Beretta/Sako is trying to prevent Sako owners from using aftermarket rings - the gun industry generally doesn't work that way.

Sean Hodges likes this.
  9. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Agree icebear, don’t understand this one at all. But outdoor seems to have made contact with the parent company. Not sure if he’s getting a line of B.S. Can’t imagine a separate proprietary rear dovetail. I don’t own a Grey Wolf, so I left well enough alone.

Maybe someone else with a greater working knowledge will shed some light. Take care.

10. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I would like to take a shot in the dark that might be a way to overcome this problem very easily. First check to see if the rear dovetail is in exactly the same elevation plane as the front one. With a micrometer, measure the the difference in width between the two dovetails at the same point of reference along the dovetails. Use some sturdy shim stock of 1/2 that measurement in thickness to make two shims that will fill the required space between the dovetail angles and the base clamp to solve the problems if mounting the scope is a permanent intent. It might be a little trouble but it would solve the problem and will not be noticeable. If successful it would be worth the trouble just for the satisfaction of pulling an easy fix and laugh at Beretta. Sakojim.

11. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Something fishy. There is nothing special about the grey wolf receiver. It should be identical to any other Sako 85 receiver. If the Beretta rep told you this was specifically grey wolf issue, he was just pulling stuff from his hat.

12. Vince

Vince Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    I put Talley on my 85 Greywolf and have never had an issue.

13. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    This may not be directly relevant (although it is similar): I've noticed that, with the Leupold ringmounts, I can't tighten down the front mount any further back on the dovetail than about halfway on my new 85. This is the location that Leupold suggests placing the front mount, but, in fact, it can't be tightened down any further back than that. This might be a quality-control issue with Leupold, and, if this is a widespread phenomenon (and not one occurring because of machining error with my particular mounts), it will limit the mounting flexibility often noted for Leupold ringmounts on Sako rifles.