L46 Greetings

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Butch, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Butch

Butch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Hello,
    I recently acquired a Sako L46 Riihimaki heavy barrel 222 mag. The barrel is stamped vixen but the action is stamped Riihimaki. It has the Winchester style trigger and the 3 position safety.
    When I got her, she was in a made to work style stock that was cut way short in single shot configuration.
    I’ve discovered that finding a replacement stock is difficult. Finding the bottom metal is achievable albeit expensive.
    Is the action footprint the same as the other 46 plus actions? 461 or 469?
    I realize the later actions went to a trigger safety but I’m curious if the front and rear screws are the same distance in those actions?

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The L469 is simply the designation for the L46 stretched to use a longer magazine for the .222 Magnum. Some of them were marked "L469" while others were simply marked "L46". But if originally chambered in .222 Magnum they are one and the same.

I've seen L461 stocks refitted to L46 barreled actions, so it can be made to work. However, finding the bottom metal for a .222 Magnum-length L46 magazine (and the magazine itself) would be more than a little difficult. I've seen magazines for the L469 sell as high as $300 by themselves.

3. Butch

Butch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Thanks for the reply.
    I just assumed it was an L46 compared to pictures. Mine has no markings regarding L anything. The action is stamped Riihimaki while the barrel is stamped Vixen.
    Sn 22xxx

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Riihimaki is the name of the town the Sako plant is located in, not a model designation. Sako stamped "L46" in the top of the front action dovetail on the early production rifles, but dropped the stamping for most of the 1950's. I'm guessing because it was the only model they made. They started stamping "L46" on them in the late 50's after the L57 medium action was introduced & to differentiate it from the L469 (the modified L46 for the 222 Rem Mag). Yours would be an early 222 Rem Mag before they used the L469 designation. Vixen is a generic term used for any short action Sako, including the current Model 85. Your rifle does not have a three position safety. It is either "on" or "off". It blocks the striker, unlike the L461's #4 trigger that blocks the trigger.

5. Butch

Butch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    I had to double check and you are indeed correct with the safety.
    So does it have the same action screw distance as any others? I’m simply trying to figure out if another stock option is possible even though some fitting would be required.
    I really appreciate your time.

6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If you are fortunate to find an original stock & bottom metal the cost would be near what you could buy a complete rifle for. If you have a duplicate made from a blank the cost of the stock alone would be $1000 or more. If you find a stock that can be "modified" to work you will end up with a rifle with little market value. As Stonecreek mentioned the magazines are extremely rare & expensive. Is it really worth it to spend that kind of money to revive a rifle in an outdated cartridge that will have zero collector value? Have you tried to buy 222 Rem Mag ammo or even brass lately? The action is worth $500. You could probably part it out & get even more, then put that money towards buying a complete and original Sako for less than you are going to spend on what you have now. Just food for thought.

7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Now I know why your rifle is a single-shot! The serial number is way too low to be a .222 Magnum, meaning that a regular L46 was rebarreled (or rechambered) to .222 Magnum. Since the magazine would be too short for that round, it had to be configured as a single shot.

Paulson's advice not to attempt to "restore" it is spot-on. You wouldn't be "restoring" anything; you would be modifying a previously modified gun to a different (and non-factory) configuration which would be both expensive and would not increase the market value of the gun.

But if the rifle desperately needs a stock, then yes, the L461 (and A-I) stocks will have the same bolt hole pattern. A semi-inletted stock could be made to work.

8. Butch

Butch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Thank you for confirming that. According to the sn # it was made two years before the 222 magnum was released. But Sako did have flaws in their record keeping.
    The fact that such an early action was used with a vixen stamped barrel in 222 mag posed more questions than answers. I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think it was factory built in this configuration and sold as a barreled action.

Attached Files:

9. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I for one would really appreciate seeing some pics of the rifle and the mods that you are speaking about. Any chance you could post some pics. By doing so we may be able to offer some additional help/parts etc.

Many Thanks

rick

10. Butch

Butch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    1EEA6504-AACB-47FF-93B7-F655EA2E3298.jpeg 4714B53E-9E7E-45F3-B8B7-4E99A978B303.jpeg CBADBE7B-3E19-421A-AF78-ADC305C19DDD.jpeg BE0A9357-57BC-40C5-B567-2F7574A61E11.jpeg 7855A9EE-71A8-4C61-9CA2-C57D08FBE833.jpeg D433E68D-3F5B-430A-9F6A-34A5D801092D.jpeg 2C322FFE-28DA-4985-A431-C21DEBBEB946.jpeg E9350569-79E5-4472-975F-36C2A4A5D16A.jpeg CF775DF2-865F-4EEA-B882-A34E97B44F97.jpeg

She has potential.

11. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Ok, Thanks for the pics. There is an L579 stock on Ebay as we speak. Also bottom metal on Guns International.

Good Luck

rick

12. Butch

Butch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    But isn’t a 579 a bigger action?

13. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Sorry I was thinking you had a L579. I'll keep looking for an l46 heavy.

rick

14. Butch

Butch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Haha,
    I’ll just get one carved. I was hoping to find a proper inletted stock to use as a template.

15. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just click on "Factory Records Service" in the upper left of this page, request the info, & end the speculation. That will tell you how it left the factory. It's obvious from the pics that the barrel stampings are "off center". SAKO should be at the top of the barrel, centered in front of the action dovetail. This tells me it was a take-off barrel from a later 222 Rem Mag that was screwed on to your action without properly indexing it. Add poor gunsmithing to the list of woes this rifle has. This also explains why L46 or L469 is not stamped on your action. The stock looks much like some of the "Range" model Sako 22 rimfire stocks. Maybe someone whittled out the inletting to fit a L46. Regardless, my recommendation to stop throwing good money after bad still stands. Good Luck!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  16. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    What Paulson said. The barrel and action clearly didn't come together from the factory.

17. Butch

Butch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Much appreciated.

18. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    As we speak there is a Sako L461 stock on Ebay. It looks like it is in reasonable good shape so if you still need one I would at least take a look.

rick