Greetings from Denmark!

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Kristian_Bruun, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Kristian_Bruun

Kristian_Bruun Member

Country Flag:
    Denmark
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi guys,

Greetings from Denmark.

Best regards.

Kristian

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Welcome, Kristian. I have several good friends in Denmark who have hunted here in Texas with me and in turn I have hunted there with them. It is a lovely country -- on the three days a year that it is not raining!

Kristian_Bruun likes this.
  3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stone......lighten up on Denmark.

My college roommate is now retired and lives about 20 miles east of Seattle. Years ago he quoted one of his t-shirts......

"Washington!!......10 billion slugs CAN'T be wrong!!!"

4. Kristian_Bruun

Kristian_Bruun Member

Country Flag:
    Denmark
    State/Region:
    other
    Thank you Stone! You are absolutely right about the weather here in Denmark! And this winther is no exception - it has been raining almost constantly since september! No frost or snow, just rain and more rain.

Great to hear that you have been to Denmark on a hunting trip though. Where and what kind of game where you after? I’ve always dreamt about going on a hunting trip to Amerika some day. What are you taking down the most with your Sakos in Texas?

Maybe you can help me out with this question:

For about a month ago I bought this lovely 80’s Sako AII Deluxe in 243. win. The rifle was in almost mint condition except for a micro tiny rust spot in the bluing on the upper barrell/chamber area near the system.

I then read on a Danish gun forum, that it would be possible to scrub away the rust with some CLP and a cleaning spong. Stupid as I was I started working on the barrell without any further consideration just to conclude that I made scratches and rubbed of the damn bluing! It’s probably one of the most stupid acts I’ve ever done. I’m so frustrated and heartbroken over spoiling such a fine rifle.

Now I’m considdering getting the rifle reblued, but I’m affraid whether the gunsmiths here in Denmark are able to hit the right original finish?

I thought that maybe you guys had some experience or advices on rebluing Sako Deluxe rifles? And that maybe someone in here had a recipe for the hi gloss bluing used on Sako Deluxe rifles that gunsmiths can use doing
    repairs?

upload_2020-1-19_14-5-33.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    My son and I hunted pheasants and mallards in Jutland and sea ducks near Svendborg. We didn't hunt any deer species, but did have a magnificent Red Stag break from cover only a few meters from us and run across the nearby fields. We had a great time, but next time I'll bring more waterproof clothes and boots!

Our primary game animal in Texas is the whitetail deer, but we also have an abundance of feral boar, coyotes, wild turkeys, and various small game. In prairie dog colonies (a type of large ground squirrel) in the northwestern part of the state you can shoot 200 or more rounds in a day. Also in the far north and far west are pronghorn "antelope", which is a unique species more related to goats than antelopes. Many private ranches have exotics like blackbuck, fallow, red deer, elk, axis, and a whole range of African antelope. The challenge with hunting in Texas is that virtually all of the land is privately owned, thus you have to have permission to hunt, which is usually obtained by paying a fee.

Before paying to have a completely redone bluing job (which might or might not be as nice as the original) I'd suggest trying some cold blue on the thinned spot. This is quick and simple and certainly won't hurt anything.

6. Kristian_Bruun

Kristian_Bruun Member

Country Flag:
    Denmark
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks alot for your advice! I’ll try that at first.

Sounds like you have some nice hunting “over there”. I live in central Jutland near Silkeborg and my primary game animal is roe, red stag and fallow.

7. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    If you try cold bluing, the best thing for prepping the surface and smoothing it out after applying the chemical is fine bronze wool (NOT steel wool). Bronze is softer than steel so it will not mar the finish. As you discovered, scrub sponges can have bits of abrasive material in them that can scratch a blued surface. WD-40 or Kroil is good for lubricating the surface when you're using the bronze wool. If you are going to try cold blue, you must remove all traces of oil with denatured alcohol or something similar.

Bronze wool with WD-40 or Kroil is also the medicine of choice for removing small bits of rust without damaging a blued surface. I've also used a special gunsmith's polish that won't damage bluing to polish blued surfaces. I don't recall the brand and the bottle is stashed away somewhere in another building.

8. Kristian_Bruun

Kristian_Bruun Member

Country Flag:
    Denmark
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks alot for you advice! I’ll try it out! It seems like theres still hope for this barrels bluing!