L46 Greetings from CO, USA

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by John Kalla, Sep 28, 2020.

1. John Kalla

John Kalla Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    I joined to find out more information about my father's Marlin Varmint King (Micro-Groove Barrel) .222 Rem, SAKO Rihimaki S/N 34179. From what I understand, it was manufactured between 1956-58.
    I found an older thread, from 2011, but not much else. I currently have it insured for $1000US, but have no clue if that's accurate. Any more information about this weapon would be appreciated! I did have the stock refinished, so I'm sure the value is lower than it would have been otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The 422 Varmint King replaced the 322 Marlin built on the same Sako action. The difference being the 422 has a stainless steel barrel that is coated to appear blued. Story has it that the 322 CM steel micro-groove barrels had a short life(I can't verify that) & the SS barrel was Marlins remedy. IIRC, there were less than 500 of the 422's ever made. I doubt the refinishing of the stock hurt it's value any. In fact, it may have helped it since it appears to have been nicely done. With the Leupold scope & rings $1000 is probably as good an estimate as any of it's value. My experience is that investing in a good quality fire proof safe (they can be had for around $1000) is much better than insurance. It depends on the specifics of your policy, but many insurance companies will depreciate your rifle & come up with other "fine print" excuses resulting in you never getting it's market value should it be destroyed or stolen. Besides, after several years of paying premiums you will be buying the rifle twice!! A safe will protect all your firearms, as well as important documents. Member stonecreek is more knowledgeable about the Marlin Sakos so hopefully he will chime in with additional info.

John Kalla likes this.
  3. John Kalla

John Kalla Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Thanks, @paulsonconstruction! I really do need to get a fireproof safe, even though USAA doesn't usually look for ways to get out of paying you.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    What Paulson says. You have a scarce and somewhat desirable rifle, in my opinion. According to Col. Brophy's book on Marlins there were just 354 of the Marlin Model 422 Varmint Kings made. Compared to the prior Model 322 they seemed much more refined. They had a slimmer and better contoured Monte Carlo stock and the blued stainless steel barrel was a sporter weight instead of a semi-target. I've been lucky enough to own several of them and all have been very accurate. I loaned one to a guest from Denmark which he used to take a gobbler at 200 yards with a single shot (rifles are legal and commonly used for turkeys in Texas.)

Since so few of the 422's were made I'm surprised that there isn't something of a collector market for them, but Marlin enthusiasts seem to concentrate on lever actions and pretty much ignore the others.

John Kalla likes this.
  5. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    [QUOTE=" but Marlin enthusiasts seem to concentrate on lever actions and pretty much ignore the others.[/QUOTE] Amen to that. The MR-7 is another exceptional bolt action rifle that Marlin made. They are relatively ignored.

John Kalla likes this.
  6. John Kalla

John Kalla Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Thank you for your reply! I'm not positive I have a 422 (vs 322). I think I researched it a few years ago and came to that conclusion, but am not certain it's correct. Is there an obvious way to tell the difference?

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Varmint King on the barrel says it's a 422. 322's don't have that stamping.

John Kalla likes this.
  8. John Kalla

John Kalla Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Oh, perfect! Thanks!