Greetings From Alberta, Canada

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Rudy Klaus, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Rudy Klaus

Rudy Klaus Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Hello everyone .. first time post to this forum.
    Am interested in learning about the Sako 243 - L579.
    I acquired this rifle from my brother many many years ago ... IMG-7312-1.JPG IMG-7313.JPG IMG-7311-1.JPG has been stored in a gun locker - controlled environment - storage for I am guessing over 40 years. Can anyone tell me about this rifle - and in particular its value in Canadian $$ or US $$ ? Here are some pics ...

Attached Files:

Norway.375 and ricksengines like this.

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi and welcome.

We strive not to place value on any Sako rifle that is brought to our attention. There are so many variables that putting a price on one particular piece without having it in hand can be very difficult.

That said, you have a really fine looking L579. Your rifle is in one of the more common calibers for the model. I love the Unertl. It looks like a 15X ultra varmeter to me. In any event I'm a real fan of the heave versions with large period optics like yours.

Many Thanks for posting the pics as the members here really like to see the different kinds of Sako rifles our new members own.

Rick

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    From the serial number your rifle is a very late L579, probably made somewhere between 1977 and 1979. So, if it has been in storage for 40 years then it was put there when it was virtually new. It is the heavy barrel varmint model. The old-style target scopes like mounted on it are in high demand among a certain set of shooters.

The price of guns varies hugely with geography, seasons, and economic conditions. I'll just say that in the circles I travel the rifle and scope would easily be worth over $1,000 USD. How much over is a matter of speculation.

4. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Couple years ago I sold a L579 243 in similar condition for $1000 cdn.
    There is following for those vintage scopes but I have no idea what one would sell for.

5. Rudy Klaus

Rudy Klaus Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Appreciated .. thanks Rick.

6. Rudy Klaus

Rudy Klaus Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    That is very helpful "stonecreek" .... and you are right. My brother only had the rifle a short while before he passed away (cancer - at the age of 39)) ... it came to me and it has been locked away since. I now have to make a decision ... likely will look to selling though.
    rudy

7. Rudy Klaus

Rudy Klaus Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Interesting ... I do know from "way back when" .. my brother said the rifle /scope combo made it incredibly accurate at long distances. Varmints (groundhogs/etc) didn't stand a chance. :)