Greetings and Salutations from the last frontier...

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Chinese Bandit, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Chinese Bandit

Chinese Bandit Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Fellow members,

I appreciate quality that produces functionality and durability followed by the aestetic lines formed from ergonomics and tactile design w/ attention to detail.

All of these things make a SAKO rifle for me similar to a Shelby cobra, Jaguar XKSS, or an F-16.

I grew up hunting since I was bacically born. I made my first contribution to the deer meat freezer when I was 4yr and 2months old. I was botttle raised on pre-64 mod. 70's. Striking out on my own, I decided I would collect my own flavor, and decidedly SAKO became my muse.

I bought my first SAKO ordered from the factory through a dealer in Fairbanks in 2000. A TRG-S .338 LM, 26 in barrel with a 1:10 twist. Before I decided to start collect them however, I would make it proof its metal. That being said I did not truely start collecting until 2018. I put this rifle through all the tests, amature mistakes, and professional paces. (Not all of the following was intentional). I have over loaded it, under loaded it, destroyed firing pins, ejectors, broken bolt knobs, shattered scopes, stuck cases, stuck bullets, broken cases etc. After those 18 years and approximately 5000 rounds, using professionally as an assistant big game guide, and for my own personal exploits to hunt and kill everything , deer, fox, ptarmigan, bears, elk, mt.goats(my longest shot 886 yards), boar, seals, walrus, american bison, moose and caribou, (havent gotten a sheep or a muskox but they are on the list);
    Through time and trial of the very worst weather and conditions this world has to offer, this rifle was proofed and showed its metal. My conclusion is that they are truely worth collecting and merit respect equal to if not above the pre 64's.
    When I was a boy I recall looking through rifle magazines; as most things acquired in Kodiak(born and raised) were mail order only, at the SAKO Safari Deluxe rifles. In my wildest dreams I never thought I would ever own one or have enough money to afford one.
    In 2018 I purchased my second and first "collectible" SAKO rifle: a 2014 85L Safari deluxe .375 H&H . Now some of you may not consider such a new rifle a collectible, but I assure you that it is the most ellegant/beautiful and antention to detail factory produced rifle I have ever seen.

This was followed by another TRG-S .338 with 24.5 inch barrel 1:12 twist(early production), and most recently a L579 .243 Forrester serial 47xxx, 24 inch barrel with factory peep sight(mint) (Waiting to recieve it now). With this rifle came an off topic, but interesting find, a first war Pattern 14 winchester enfield in .505 Gibbs.

I hand load for all my firearms and occationally test factory ammo.

After 5000 down the pipe of the first TRG-S it still will put 5 hand loads in a quarter at 100 yards. I recently inspected it with a bore camera though, and it is not far from giving up the ghost, imho.

It is nice to meet you all,

I am a proud NAVY combat service veteran, Alaskan, American and Christian.
    I work as a structural engineer and assistant professional big game guide.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    gowyo, icebear and susanna like this.

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Welcome to our group, it appears that you are hooked on SAKO`S also. I work as a structural steel detailer and checker. Wayne

Chinese Bandit likes this.
  3. Chinese Bandit

Chinese Bandit Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Thank for the welcome sir.