Grand Slam On Gophers

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by kirkbridgershooters, Mar 31, 2020.

1. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Today, after completing an almost year long venture into getting a Sako L46 7X33 to shoot, I took it out today with the other family members and shot a gaggle of gophers.

First is the 222, then the 22 Hornet, then 218 Bee and finally the 7X33....

thumbnail_IMG_9388.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7364.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7371.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9387 (1).jpg

icebear, ricksengines and susanna like this.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I've been waiting for that last pic. No Balvar on the 7? Didn't want to shoot to much ammo sighting it in, I understand.....LOL

3. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales

4. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    At $1.00/bullet, you don’t go to the range with a bunch of different loads to shoot. I looked at the information I had available and contacted John Barsness to see what he thought about which powder may work best and try that.

The powder that comes the closest to filling the case is usually the best, so I started with IMR 4227, loaded up 13 of my Sako brass and another 4 brass that I got from Stonecreek that he had made from 350 Legend brass.

Once I got the gun shooting POI, I had just enough to shoot 2 groups with the different brass, and as you can see, both shot well, although Steve’s was a bit farther to the right...

E9EF4235-6396-4D76-B440-6A1C5202C39B.jpeg B9DE37E6-C447-43F4-BF6D-4435223CF845.jpeg

icebear likes this.
  5. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    As far as the Balvar working on the 7X33, the objective bell would never clear the rear sight base unless I ground it off, I guess I will have to do that later...

thumbnail_IMG_9390.png

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Kirk: Congrats on the Gopher Grand Slam! It's great to make that little 7x33 into a real shooter.

SCC member Russell Dooley passed on a lot of information to me about reforming the .350 Legend to 7x33, and even loaned me his expensive dies to work with. I ordered 100 Legend cases made by Starline (I think Russell said he used WW brass).

The .350 Legend case is a straight-walled case which is somewhat longer than the 7x33, but is almost identical in body diameter (about .385" at the base as opposed to .390 for the 7x33, but well within manufacturing tolerances). It has a very slightly rebated rim of the same diameter as the .223, or about .375" so it can be used in converted AR's, but the rim is ample for the L46 7x33 extractor to grasp it for extraction/ejection.

First, I used a small tubing cutter (Harbor Freight, $3.95) to cut the cases back to between 34 and 35 mm in length. Then I lubed and ran them through the 7x33 FL die, which made nice, neat bottlenecked cases with one stroke (be sure to use a .223 shellholder for their smaller rims instead of a 9mm Parabellum shellholder which is proper for factory Sako cases). Then I did the final trim to 33mm, and chamfered the mouths inside and outside. The resulting cases worked like a charm in my 7x33 and the necks measured almost exactly the same thickness as factory brass, so no neck turning was needed.

All of this takes a little time and elbow grease, but it's a great way to spend these days of "social distancing".

icebear likes this.
  7. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Here is what the brass mic's at:

Legend vs Sako 7X33 Legend brass a.jpg 7X33 Sako brass  a.jpg 7X33 Legend brass b.jpg Sako 7X33 brass b.jpg